Something I get tired of hearing.....

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
.....when we get into 3rd and 5+ yards, the announcers always say "Georgia Tech is just not equipped to deal with 3rd and long. It takes them out of their comfort zone." I think JT can help stop these repetitive comments by announcers. It was awesome to see that 4th & 15 converted on Saturday with a pass.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What they should say is the offense isnt as resilient to third and longs as other offenses. Vs the bs of not equipped or cant do it well or yadda yadda. No one is good on third and long. Period. But it is true of all the offenses you can run ours is the least resilient to those downs and distances. As an example what a texas a&m runs is far more resilient to 3rd and 10 than we are.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What they should say is the offense isnt as resilient to third and longs as other offenses. Vs the bs of not equipped or cant do it well or yadda yadda. No one is good on third and long. Period. But it is true of all the offenses you can run ours is the least resilient to those downs and distances. As an example what a texas a&m runs is far more resilient to 3rd and 10 than we are.
Not sure I understand your definition of 'resilient'.

thwgjacket

If they are going to do that then when Clemson lines up in the shot gun on third and short they need to say that Clemson's offense just isn't designed for 3rd and short situations.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Would be nice if someone could bring some, you know, actual stats to this discussion. I would be willing to bet a lot that we are in the top 50% in 3rd and 5+.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The ability or capacity to recover from difficult situations. Pretty standard definition. I am applying to our scheme/football analogy. Seems pretty straight fwd
okay, I understand now what you're saying. I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion. I think our offense [with a passing game] is as likely to make 3rd and long as pretty much any other. For the past several years we've not had the pieces to put the pressure on the defense to consistently convert 3rd and long, but that's personnel related not scheme. There are 3 ways in our offense to consistently convert 3rd and long: 1) pass; 2) on the edge with a running back; and 3) QB keeper (edge or middle). If we're not passing well, the defense loads the box, which only gives us the edge. Good defenses can shut down one-dimensional offenses most of the time.

If we're not one-dimensional (and that's not just run/pass, but includes different types of running), we have as much capability of converting 3rd and long as any other offense. The problem is we haven't had the tools to do it consistently, so we get the bad rap. Just my opinion.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If they are going to do that then when Clemson lines up in the shot gun on third and short they need to say that Clemson's offense just isn't designed for 3rd and short situations.

If u ever watch a mike leach game they do and have. Where u see these comments is when a particular offense is so skewed to one side or another.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Would be nice if someone could bring some, you know, actual stats to this discussion. I would be willing to bet a lot that we are in the top 50% in 3rd and 5+.

I think 5 is still not long. 8plus or 7plus was how my coaches charted it. I am not sure if these stats exist for our use?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it is the fan in me, but we struggle with 2nd and long and 3rd and long. Our opposition seems to make every 3rd and 15 that comes up.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
All I can find stat-wise is that we are tied with Oregon for 7th in the nation in 3rd down conversion.

And 25% of the observations (exactly 12 3rd downs of 48 total this year) were against Virginia Tech who, by the way is 9th in the nation in 3rd down conversion defense.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree to say we aren't "equipped" is a bit naive and lazy. Every offense has a strong suit and a weak point, and in our offense 3rd and long is probably the weakest point. It is definitely less beneficial to be in 3rd and long in our offense compared to others, but to see we are less equipped means we have subpar wide receivers and a non talented QB, which is far from the truth.