Some X and O's on our offense

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have been calling our offense a "Modified Princeton" set for a while for what I perceived to be an offshoot of the famous princeton set given the role of the 5 as a playmaker and the emphasis on back door cuts. What the video below has shown me is our offense is really more an adaptation of a more modern concept called "Zoom" which originally was a response to teams trying to ice ball screens. This isn't going to change any minds about the efficiency of our offense or "fit" with the players we do have but it does give you a much better idea of what we are trying to do.

I won't go through all the rational and specifics of Zoom - the video does a good job of that. Only to note that it is a very perimeter/3 point line focused offense in general looking to get the guards either open looks for 3 or open drives to the basket. I had seen the action from Michigan in particular but hadn't linked it to GT until this video.

GT comes into the video at the 6:30 mark as an example of using Zoom in a much more compact version than most any other team does. But it shows the link to the downscreen and handoff from the 5 which is basically the same action as the broader Zoom concept. That does lead to a discussion of what the issues are with what we are doing and it really comes down to spacing or really lack of spacing making it a ton easier to guard what we are doing.

1) In the classic Zoom the 5 both gets the ball and is working around the 3 point line. Neither Michigan's or Purdue's 5 is much of a threat to make a 3 but the opposing 5 still has to come out and play him there because the guard/wing coming off the handoff can simply shoot a 3 off the handoff screen. For us Miles Kelly would make All ACC off this action. Smith/Sturdivant not so much but they would still have a lot better spacing and an open lane to drive. It would also get Coleman moving and I think that would help his game immensely. And while I am not sure Howard beats any opposing 5 back to the lane, Franklin could make a living off his quickness to the rim.

2) Is an offshoot of 1. Right now the defensive 5 isn't stretched and can just stay in the lane as long as the other defensive guard can get through the pin down and trail our guard up the lane. Just be ready for a drive and have the 5 sitting in the lane to help. Nobody had to switch and no pressure on any other wing to help. Spacing the set to the 3 point line puts the defensive 5 on skates and makes the defenders in the corners have to think about helping.

3) Spreading the action out around the perimeter actually opens up the back cut lanes that are clogged now with the defensive 5 simply sitting there.

In Zoom the 5 is still the initial focus of the offense but the goal is to get the ball to shooters/drivers in space WITH AN OPEN LANE. It plays to our "strength" at the guard/wing positions. It would get motion and switches that open up drive and kick opportunities for the shooters we do have. I could go on about secondary options to have backside shooters come off downscreens opposite the Zoom action but I think you get the sense of what moving the offense out could do - even recognizing our 5's are not shooters from deep. Anyway video is below and look for the stark difference in spacing with GT at the 6:30 mark. Note that the first scene we have to jump back to get outside the 3 point line for the shot. Not what you want to see in today's game.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I have been calling our offense a "Modified Princeton" set for a while for what I perceived to be an offshoot of the famous princeton set given the role of the 5 as a playmaker and the emphasis on back door cuts. What the video below has shown me is our offense is really more an adaptation of a more modern concept called "Zoom" which originally was a response to teams trying to ice ball screens. This isn't going to change any minds about the efficiency of our offense or "fit" with the players we do have but it does give you a much better idea of what we are trying to do.

I won't go through all the rational and specifics of Zoom - the video does a good job of that. Only to note that it is a very perimeter/3 point line focused offense in general looking to get the guards either open looks for 3 or open drives to the basket. I had seen the action from Michigan in particular but hadn't linked it to GT until this video.

GT comes into the video at the 6:30 mark as an example of using Zoom in a much more compact version than most any other team does. But it shows the link to the downscreen and handoff from the 5 which is basically the same action as the broader Zoom concept. That does lead to a discussion of what the issues are with what we are doing and it really comes down to spacing or really lack of spacing making it a ton easier to guard what we are doing.

1) In the classic Zoom the 5 both gets the ball and is working around the 3 point line. Neither Michigan's or Purdue's 5 is much of a threat to make a 3 but the opposing 5 still has to come out and play him there because the guard/wing coming off the handoff can simply shoot a 3 off the handoff screen. For us Miles Kelly would make All ACC off this action. Smith/Sturdivant not so much but they would still have a lot better spacing and an open lane to drive. It would also get Coleman moving and I think that would help his game immensely. And while I am not sure Howard beats any opposing 5 back to the lane, Franklin could make a living off his quickness to the rim.

2) Is an offshoot of 1. Right now the defensive 5 isn't stretched and can just stay in the lane as long as the other defensive guard can get through the pin down and trail our guard up the lane. Just be ready for a drive and have the 5 sitting in the lane to help. Nobody had to switch and no pressure on any other wing to help. Spacing the set to the 3 point line puts the defensive 5 on skates and makes the defenders in the corners have to think about helping.

3) Spreading the action out around the perimeter actually opens up the back cut lanes that are clogged now with the defensive 5 simply sitting there.

In Zoom the 5 is still the initial focus of the offense but the goal is to get the ball to shooters/drivers in space WITH AN OPEN LANE. It plays to our "strength" at the guard/wing positions. It would get motion and switches that open up drive and kick opportunities for the shooters we do have. I could go on about secondary options to have backside shooters come off downscreens opposite the Zoom action but I think you get the sense of what moving the offense out could do - even recognizing our 5's are not shooters from deep. Anyway video is below and look for the stark difference in spacing with GT at the 6:30 mark. Note that the first scene we have to jump back to get outside the 3 point line for the shot. Not what you want to see in today's game.

Great input but at the beginning of the 2nd paragraph you said "it is a very perimeter/3 point line focused offense in general looking to get the guards either open looks for 3 or open drives to the basket." Since that is not happening in our offense. Our guards put their hands down & drive to a clogged lane & rarely ever pass to the open spot up shooters.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Great input but at the beginning of the 2nd paragraph you said "it is a very perimeter/3 point line focused offense in general looking to get the guards either open looks for 3 or open drives to the basket." Since that is not happening in our offense. Our guards put their hands down & drive to a clogged lane & rarely ever pass to the open spot up shooters.
By "it" I meant the normal Zoom offense run by Michigan and others. Not our offense. I tried to set out the differences between the normal Zoom offense and what we run.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you for this. I've been saying for a while that it is not our offense that has the problem, but the effort with which it is run. With strong screens and cuts, it creates the necessary separation for a guard to shoot or drive. But like it is mentioned above, that guard still has to make a wise decision about when to drive and when to kick it out, and guys need to make open shots. I also agree that Howard is not the best guy to be making the decisions that key the offense, but I don't mind Franklin there. Franklin is also quick enough to beat the 5 to the bucket for an easy bucket, if the pass is there.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
YlJacket, thanks for this input. I wasn’t familiar with the term Zoom before watching that video. However, I would suggest that the author of the video applies the term to the basic sequence of a ball screen handoff to a cutter running off of a pin down screen. It is a sequence that can be run out of and within any number of more general offensive sets or philosophies. Pastner/GT’s basic offense, when you see the 5 man post up at around the free throw line, is still basically the Princeton “Point” series. The author of the video you posted even acknowledges GT’s offense as the Princeton Point series. Pastner himself also calls the set “Point” when he calls/yells the offense from the bench. Pastner goes out of his way to never talk X’s and O’s in interviews, but even he occasionally makes references to “our Princeton stuff” or something along those lines when making statements to the media.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you for this. I've been saying for a while that it is not our offense that has the problem, but the effort with which it is run. With strong screens and cuts, it creates the necessary separation for a guard to shoot or drive. But like it is mentioned above, that guard still has to make a wise decision about when to drive and when to kick it out, and guys need to make open shots. I also agree that Howard is not the best guy to be making the decisions that key the offense, but I don't mind Franklin there. Franklin is also quick enough to beat the 5 to the bucket for an easy bucket, if the pass is there.
You are onto something about poor decision making by the 5 man at the high post , but lately I think Howard is still our best option at that position. Our offense has suffered and bogged down at times ( often) partly because the 5 man seems too hesitant to make the decision to actually make passes downhill towards the basket. Lately Howard seems to be more willing/able than Franklin to actually make or at least attempt to make these crucial passes to cutters going downhill toward the basket. Franklin lacks Howard’s size, which I think probably limits his vision and passing angles relative to Howard. I do agree with you that Franklin is obviously the more skilled of the two when it comes to attacking off the the dribble and finishing at the rim, but Howard is the better passer (it’s all relative). I would like to see Howard shoot the elbow jumper more often when it is open because he has actually been shooting a very high percentage from midrange, he just shoots very infrequently. I would also like to see Howard occasionally turn the corner and drive downhill to the basket from the elbow when the driving lane is open. This part doesn’t happen often, but occasionally it is there, and Howard has recognized and attacked the basket a couple of times earlier in the season. Long story short, whoever is playing the 5 at the high post has got to let the passes fly instead of always holding the ball and reverting to the handoff as a bailout, and they have to be at least an occasional threat to score. If it’s Howard, his scoring opportunities should probably be the elbow jumper. If it’s Franklin, he should be looking to drive the lane for his scoring opportunities.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

Thank you for providing this clip that breaks down our offense. As soon as it switched focus to Tech, I saw something that set my blood boiling. Check out how hard guys are playing/cutting around the 6:42 mark against ugag. Kelly is moving with purpose, Franklin dives down with force, and Terry pops out to 3pt. line ready to shoot. Where in the world has that effort been? Against F$U, Kelly started off extremely hot, then proceeded to get iced out, and couldn't regain his rhythm. In the second half, when things started getting tough, the entire team's effort waned considerably. It's almost like the team doesn't believe in the system they are running either. Sure, they'll cut hard and screen and move with purpose when things are working, but when it gets tough and we need a basket, they resort to hero ball to jump start the offense. You have an offense set for a reason. When things get rough, you've got to double down on your base offense and let that jumpstart you again. It's way past time for CJP to modify this offense to free up Kelly. I was there Saturday, and it was obvious when the guys stopped playing. If they don't trust the system, it'll be hard to find anymore wins this year.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Good analysis. The spacing issue is the biggest drawback on Pastner's version. There is seldom a "kick out" for a 3, which should be our strength. Crowding the lane with bodies is simply stupid.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
You are onto something about poor decision making by the 5 man at the high post , but lately I think Howard is still our best option at that position. Our offense has suffered and bogged down at times ( often) partly because the 5 man seems too hesitant to make the decision to actually make passes downhill towards the basket. Lately Howard seems to be more willing/able than Franklin to actually make or at least attempt to make these crucial passes to cutters going downhill toward the basket. Franklin lacks Howard’s size, which I think probably limits his vision and passing angles relative to Howard. I do agree with you that Franklin is obviously the more skilled of the two when it comes to attacking off the the dribble and finishing at the rim, but Howard is the better passer (it’s all relative). I would like to see Howard shoot the elbow jumper more often when it is open because he has actually been shooting a very high percentage from midrange, he just shoots very infrequently. I would also like to see Howard occasionally turn the corner and drive downhill to the basket from the elbow when the driving lane is open. This part doesn’t happen often, but occasionally it is there, and Howard has recognized and attacked the basket a couple of times earlier in the season. Long story short, whoever is playing the 5 at the high post has got to let the passes fly instead of always holding the ball and reverting to the handoff as a bailout, and they have to be at least an occasional threat to score. If it’s Howard, his scoring opportunities should probably be the elbow jumper. If it’s Franklin, he should be looking to drive the lane for his scoring opportunities.
I agree that Howard is probably a better passer than Franklin, but lacks the explosiveness to break to the rim quickly. However, he doesn't have great hands and overall, I don't think he is the best decision maker. Regardless, the 5 is not so much the issue with the offense as the lack of effort in screening/cutting at times.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you for providing this clip that breaks down our offense. As soon as it switched focus to Tech, I saw something that set my blood boiling. Check out how hard guys are playing/cutting around the 6:42 mark against ugag. Kelly is moving with purpose, Franklin dives down with force, and Terry pops out to 3pt. line ready to shoot. Where in the world has that effort been? Against F$U, Kelly started off extremely hot, then proceeded to get iced out, and couldn't regain his rhythm. In the second half, when things started getting tough, the entire team's effort waned considerably. It's almost like the team doesn't believe in the system they are running either. Sure, they'll cut hard and screen and move with purpose when things are working, but when it gets tough and we need a basket, they resort to hero ball to jump start the offense. You have an offense set for a reason. When things get rough, you've got to double down on your base offense and let that jumpstart you again. It's way past time for CJP to modify this offense to free up Kelly. I was there Saturday, and it was obvious when the guys stopped playing. If they don't trust the system, it'll be hard to find anymore wins this year.
YES! This 100%. When they are out-efforting the defense, it is beautiful to watch. When they get tired or don't put in the effort, it clogs up and slows down.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I guess I wasn't clear enough but I do think there is a problem with our base offensive set. Not to say we don't have issues with the consistency of our effort running it or the fit with the skills of our 5 spot - but we have a fundamental problem with the spacing of the set. When we run the pindown inside the lane and then hand off the ball at the foul line it doesn't stress the defense. The trailing guard simply works through the 2 screens and trails the guard up the lane. The defensive 5 doesn't have to move and the corner defenders are just sitting there with no reason to help. All the offensive movement takes place in the lane area with no side to side movement. Compare that to the Michigan version where offensive guards and defenders are moving all over the perimeter and the defensive big has to come out to guard against handoff 3 point shots. The spacing and lack of movement pretty much guarantees that our guard is going to have to go one on one from the top of the key with a clogged lane - something we see all the time. And that the corner defender isn't stressed to have to move and help so there is no kick out.

So without a doubt it would help if we moved and cut more aggressively but IMHO that isn't the core issue with this offense. It is the spacing in the offense that allows it to be easily guarded.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I wasn't clear enough but I do think there is a problem with our base offensive set. Not to say we don't have issues with the consistency of our effort running it or the fit with the skills of our 5 spot - but we have a fundamental problem with the spacing of the set. When we run the pindown inside the lane and then hand off the ball at the foul line it doesn't stress the defense. The trailing guard simply works through the 2 screens and trails the guard up the lane. The defensive 5 doesn't have to move and the corner defenders are just sitting there with no reason to help. All the offensive movement takes place in the lane area with no side to side movement. Compare that to the Michigan version where offensive guards and defenders are moving all over the perimeter and the defensive big has to come out to guard against handoff 3 point shots. The spacing and lack of movement pretty much guarantees that our guard is going to have to go one on one from the top of the key with a clogged lane - something we see all the time. And that the corner defender isn't stressed to have to move and help so there is no kick out.

So without a doubt it would help if we moved and cut more aggressively but IMHO that isn't the core issue with this offense. It is the spacing in the offense that allows it to be easily guarded.
Ok, I can see what you are saying. Makes sense.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

I think it's pretty obvious we start our offense too low. I mean, in that clip you provided, we are the only team that starts the offense below the 3pt. line. Like you mentioned earlier, Sturdivant had to take a couple steps back to shoot a three and that's a MASSIVE spacing problem. You can't cut effectively when you are weaving through your own guys to get to the basket. Also, if you want too look at something that'll make you scream, pull up the horns sets we tried running Saturday. Talk about infuriating.....

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I'm with you. The way we run this, we don't spread the D at all. The wings are low and are not a threat. They are mostly stationary, waiting for a kick out. Wing defenders can sag, but don't really have to "help" on the drive because we never move the 5 or either guard out of the center of the court. All of our movement basically happens in the center of the floor, inside the 3 point line, which makes for a really congested lane.

It seems like we are content to play 3 on 3 in the lane. The wings / baseline don't get into the offense. Other teams will use the backside guard to screen down to the wing starting the zoom, or they will cut the guards through the lane after the post entry, slide the wings up the floor and then screen back down to the guard coming across the baseline and back up to zoom. Purdue runs the guards through in this manner (especially when you had Cline and Edwards shooting like they did). Incorporating the wings in this way spreads the floor and it forces the wing defenders to tighten up on the wing (opening up the lane). If the wing defender sags and the wing runs zoom off of a screen down, the defender is caught in too much traffic to fight through. This opens the lane for a driving guard and makes the back cut by the wing a threat.

Stretching the court vertically (with the 5 at the top of the key) also opens the lane. It leaves room for the 5 to "roll" backside block and it also puts the ball in the guard's hand for a spot up 3. Many people will tell you that the 17-19 jumpshot is the worst shot in the game... hardest shot worth only 2 points. We basically set our post where our guard receives the ball at the worst place on the floor to shoot it... so, bad jumpshot or drive congested lane?

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

It was interesting to see Loyola running the 5 out zoom action. I like their offense but didn't know what to call it.

You (obviously) need a skilled 5 to run it.