Social Media Impact

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone remember the “Boo Birds”? Before social media, Georgia Tech fans often expressed their displeasure with the football team, the coaches, even individual players at the game, loudly, in the form of “boos”. Hence, the name “Boo Birds”. I haven’t heard much, if any, of that so far. Maybe social media is a “quieter, limited and more humane” expression of dissatisfaction than the public humiliation of some Tech faithful booing on a Saturday afternoon. Today, instead of boos, you are more likely to hear melacholy “goodbyes” as fans fold up their seats, bid adieu to their Tech neighbors and head out early to beat the traffic.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tech’s Victor Alexander describes impact of social-media criticism

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ocial-media-criticism/2ksVjvwMJpJLORdavdupAO/

First, I never talk about the SA's. They're great kids and I appreciate the sacrifice they make and the accomplishments they have on and off the field.

But seriously? Fans have been critical since there have been ... fans. OMG ... you want pressure? Read the stuff that VolNation puts on out .... every play, move, tweet ... is criticized. You're in the public arena now.

I remember Bear Bryant when he took over a 2-7-1 Crimson Tide team (and Auburn had gone 10-0). His team meeting went something like this ...

"You ain't the state's team. You ain't the town's team. You ain't even the school's team. But you're my team. And ... you're going to win. Start acting like it."

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
What I get a kick out of is that there seem to be so many former FBS players, head coaches, and athletic directors out there with so much more experience than the guys that actually are yet all they can do is go on social media and criticize. I don't know what they wish to accomplish by doing it, maybe it makes them feel better about themselves? It's quite pitiful.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
3 things. Don’t trash SA’s on their social media. You look ****ing pathetic! 2) If your an SA, don’t post highlights of yourself in a game that you got your *** embarrassed in!
3) Whem they win the next 5+ in a row everyone will be blowing them on social media...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am going to show my age and/or stupidity but, on the various forms of social media, does everyone have access to one's accounts? So if I had a Facebook page and still had employees working for me, they could say anything they wanted anonymously on my site?? Would I have control over who could/could not post things to me? If not, wtf do people want these things? This is like bathroom stall graffiti, only on steroids. (BTW, these forum things are the only thing I really read or look at. Is this site, and its brethren, considered social media?)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Did not read Victors comments, so this is not directed at him.

We all have feelings, but if a S/A has time to be worried about what is said on social media - they are not working out enough, not practicing enough, not studying enough.

Win.

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan

Deleted member 2897

What I get a kick out of is that there seem to be so many former FBS players, head coaches, and athletic directors out there with so much more experience than the guys that actually are yet all they can do is go on social media and criticize. I don't know what they wish to accomplish by doing it, maybe it makes them feel better about themselves? It's quite pitiful.

@John drop me a msg, I can’t figure out how to send you one...

Animal02

Banned
Former football players and coaches? They are dwarfed by the numbers of HS players, non players, band members etc, that think the know so much more than the current players and coaches.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
First, I never talk about the SA's. They're great kids and I appreciate the sacrifice they make and the accomplishments they have on and off the field.

But seriously? Fans have been critical since there have been ... fans. OMG ... you want pressure? Read the stuff that VolNation puts on out .... every play, move, tweet ... is criticized. You're in the public arena now.

I remember Bear Bryant when he took over a 2-7-1 Crimson Tide team (and Auburn had gone 10-0). His team meeting went something like this ...

"You ain't the state's team. You ain't the town's team. You ain't even the school's team. But you're my team. And ... you're going to win. Start acting like it."

Agree. Compared with other fanbases, Tech's pitchfork mob is positively mild. I follow a lot of the relevant GT social media accounts and I usually see only a handful of comments at all. Tech fans are more likely to just lose interest and disengage altogether. If you can't handle this level of criticism, God help you if you played for an underperforming factory school with a huge fanbase. Or, if a player has NFL aspirations, imagine playing in a city like Philly or New York.

To the extent that our players are getting negative flack on social media, I agree that it shouldn't happen. I don't engage players on there at all. But this should not be a concern for our team at all. It may be time for a social media blackout if it's actually affecting the players mentally.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I remember fans booing Dodd in 1965 and 1966 when he would punt on 3rd down. The boos were at the coach and not the players.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
If the fans are not happy, they will find a way to let GT know. Way back during the Bud Carson era we found a way and we were heard.

Not to digress, but I remember those painful years. After Bud's second straight 4-6 season, here was Sports Illustrated's complete write-up on GT's upcoming season in their college football preview issue (I remember it, but looked it up in the SI archives so I wouldn't misquote):
"Georgia Tech's Bud Carson was given one more chance as head coach after only two seasons (8-12). Carson must win this season or lose his job. Bye, Bud."

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Anyone who thinks it is cool to hide behind a keyboard and hurl insults at children is a goober. That said, the notion of cyber bullying is hard for people (myself included) to fully understand. social media is pervasive and nascent in kid's lives these days. We should be better as a fan base at self policing that sort of behavior.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is in my opinion a load of horseshtye:rolleyes: Fans will criticize a team and a head coach of a team anywhere that isn't playing well;)

It's well established that fans will criticize, but what if the player(s) are doing the best they can? Do they deserve public criticism when they're doing their best? I know some aren't doing their best, but most are. Can we always tell which is which? I think it is not only crude but pointless to criticize someone who is doing the best they can. Nothing can be gained from it - nothing at all.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
If we were hard on any of these student athletes for personal life styles and opinions I would completely understand the kids gloves approach but I don’t think most, And said most, fans take shots based on personal characteristics. They/we critique play and performance.

I think it’s ok given the circumstances. We are critical of a team that we love. We want them to win. We want seccessful teams. This desire is based in extreme fandom not hate and it’s directed at players who are essentially receiving public money ( the cost of the education at Tech) to be on the teams. When they win they are celebrated and they have no issues with “public life”. The only difference when they lose is the comments made.

With that said I certainly do not advocate harsh personal comments toward anyone, questioning why they didn’t, couldn’t or can’t do something is not personal, calling them out of name as you do that is.