So who starts in DB?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’m not comparing Simmons to Prime Time but D Sanders wasn’t aggressive in the physical sense. He was amazingly good at providing coverage. (Still don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with quite comparable speed on the field). I think where Simmons lacks physicality he overcomes a bit with providing good coverage. But I’d love to see a young stud win out, ball out, and bring solid coverage and some big hits to the secondary.
I know very little about how the db play in the new Woody Defense. Will we have our best db roll to side of best receiver? ETC. Maybe this is lamonts role- he tipped a lot of balls in past. Tackling on edge - the TWINS were awesome = got low and were like a tree stump- no rolljng on back for e-4 yds after contact

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I know very little about how the db play in the new Woody Defense. Will we have our best db roll to side of best receiver? ETC. Maybe this is lamonts role- he tipped a lot of balls in past. Tackling on edge - the TWINS were awesome = got low and were like a tree stump- no rolljng on back for e-4 yds after contact

Woody has talked about it. He doesn't really do anything special with the secondary and has all the regular kinds of coverages in his toolbox. However, he has stated that he has emphasis on determining what the players are good at. If we're good at one kind of coverage and not another, we're gonna go with the one we're good at. This is why I'm not too worried. I believe we've got plenty of talent even if we have guys with certain strengths and weaknesses. Woody isn't going to be ardent to a particular scheme and ask guys to play to their weaknesses. Hopefully we will have enough time to have good personnel assessments and so that players will be able to pick up the scheme and communication required to execute it. That was a big problem with Roof. Although most of us hated his big cushion quarters zone-based scheme, he did employ a lot of different types of coverages. But there were miscommunications or complexities that led to poor execution. That really hurt us more than the overall philosophy of the scheme as maddening as it could be (particularly when we gave cushions to people that were ahead of the sticks on 3rd down or failure to put someone closer to the line when Miami bubble screened us to death on their last drive).

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Woody has talked about it. He doesn't really do anything special with the secondary and has all the regular kinds of coverages in his toolbox. However, he has stated that he has emphasis on determining what the players are good at. If we're good at one kind of coverage and not another, we're gonna go with the one we're good at. This is why I'm not too worried. I believe we've got plenty of talent even if we have guys with certain strengths and weaknesses. Woody isn't going to be ardent to a particular scheme and ask guys to play to their weaknesses. Hopefully we will have enough time to have good personnel assessments and so that players will be able to pick up the scheme and communication required to execute it. That was a big problem with Roof. Although most of us hated his big cushion quarters zone-based scheme, he did employ a lot of different types of coverages. But there were miscommunications or complexities that led to poor execution. That really hurt us more than the overall philosophy of the scheme as maddening as it could be (particularly when we gave cushions to people that were ahead of the sticks on 3rd down or failure to put someone closer to the line when Miami bubble screened us to death on their last drive).

yep,
When you have a SR laden DB team like Roof had last yr there should almost NO busted coverages.In fact he should have been able to coordinate/employ the Def BETTER.He failed basically.