So who leaves? Attrition.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
He did fine at prior stops, but he doesn't seem particularly remarkable as a coordinator. I don't think that's necessarily the most important thing. Certainly some other programs (Alabama, UGA come to mind) have not needed much stability in their OC much less an innovator much less a genius to succeed. Obviously we are nowhere near that level in other ways even if we are moving closer to it.

Personally, I think the thing with Patenaude is his relationship with CGC and his fit culturally. There's a lot out there in the coaching market that would struggle to use less aggressive methods at discipline and butt heads in ways that were disruptive instead of productive. I think Patenaude is a great fit for now and certainly not just being a lackey without managing his responsibilities independently and without a voice when he might disagree. Perhaps down the line we might be more established in many ways and look to move on because someone else is a better offensive mind.

LibertyTurns

Banned
[QUOTE="LibertyTurns, post: 697962, memberto win football games here not run some welfare program.
This isn’t directly solely to you but more of a group question. Does the same standard apply for the coaching staff? If we don’t go to a bowl game this year, is everyone on board with firing coaches. The kid had a Great 1st year and a bad 2 year and now is off scholly due to one bad year. Does 2 bad years get the coaching staff fired? For cgc sake I really hope we don’t lose a game next year due missed fg. (Yes I know we have lost games in the last couple of years due to missed fg).[/QUOTE]
Just me but I just want to see progress. Maybe we don’t win a particular game but we’re prepared, you can see plays getting executed better, play calling is not head scratching, etc. We should win more than last year, right? I mean we just went on record that we had horrible practices because we had a team full of players that didn’t even know how to work out. We had OL that somewhere between HS and college forgot how to stand on the line of scrimmage. They’ve been beaten for a year now so God help us if they’ve not learned that yet. We got guys with the physical strength of D3 athletes, if that trying to compete that needed a couple months of weight training. We better be better than than now and the guys we recruit need to be better because that’s down right insane.

Lastly, I’m sure CGC and the AD had a conversation and it didn’t entail 5 years of floundering. 1 of 2 years of the transition is over. I got an open mind and would not be surprised we take some lumps this year but we better be better than 45-0 and getting thumped by Citadel. Year 3 better look better than years 1 & 2. No bowl game in year 3 when you only have to win 6 would raise some questions about staff competency. I don’t think we’re there but we’re not there yet.

Go Jackets! Start kicking some *** this year.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
This isn’t directly solely to you but more of a group question. Does the same standard apply for the coaching staff? If we don’t go to a bowl game this year, is everyone on board with firing coaches. The kid had a Great 1st year and a bad 2 year and now is off scholly due to one bad year. Does 2 bad years get the coaching staff fired? For cgc sake I really hope we don’t lose a game next year due missed fg. (Yes I know we have lost games in the last couple of years due to missed fg).
Just me but I just want to see progress. Maybe we don’t win a particular game but we’re prepared, you can see plays getting executed better, play calling is not head scratching, etc. We should win more than last year, right? I mean we just went on record that we had horrible practices because we had a team full of players that didn’t even know how to work out. We had OL that somewhere between HS and college forgot how to stand on the line of scrimmage. They’ve been beaten for a year now so God help us if they’ve not learned that yet. We got guys with the physical strength of D3 athletes, if that trying to compete that needed a couple months of weight training. We better be better than than now and the guys we recruit need to be better because that’s down right insane.

Lastly, I’m sure CGC and the AD had a conversation and it didn’t entail 5 years of floundering. 1 of 2 years of the transition is over. I got an open mind and would not be surprised we take some lumps this year but we better be better than 45-0 and getting thumped by Citadel. Year 3 better look better than years 1 & 2. No bowl game in year 3 when you only have to win 6 would raise some questions about staff competency. I don’t think we’re there but we’re not there yet.

Go Jackets! Start kicking some *** this year.[/QUOTE]

Wells missed one extra point last year, that’s the only chance he got. Now I tried to ask awhile back what was going on with him but that question offended folks. The fact remains however that when we say Techs kickers had a bad year last year it was Wells replacement who was 50%, wells wasn’t a factor positive or negative, for whatever reason.

As far as staff, no it’s not the same, especially in a transition. Any new staff has to deal with turnover, process implementation, player fitting etc.... staff gets 3-4 years, maybe more if we keep recruiting the way we did this past period. Staff ability shows itself once the team is fitted with the players they want not game to game play to play. If the kickers staff has inherited cannot perform in staffs first year its not a staff issue, it becomes one if the same kickers do the same thing two years in a row

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting that the article doesn't mention Cliff Gandis as a possible replacement at PK as well. He's a RS Sophomore I believe, and would be the only returning PK.

Also, am i the only one nervous about relying on two true freshman walk on PKs this season? Seems like this could turn in to a disaster if they are not completely ready, and who could blame them if they're not?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Interesting that the article doesn't mention Cliff Gandis as a possible replacement at PK as well. He's a RS Sophomore I believe, and would be the only returning PK.

Also, am i the only one nervous about relying on two true freshman walk on PKs this season? Seems like this could turn in to a disaster if they are not completely ready, and who could blame them if they're not?
Well it cant be any worse than it has been. Harrison spoiled us.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

Nothing against Cliff, however I’m speculating the staff offered a half-dozen P-WO kickers for a reason? Three have taken them up on it and a competition will ensue.

Looking at tape, you can see the leg strength in these kickers that Butker had as a true-Freshman(which got stronger with development-like these guys will have).
Seeing Gavin Stewart put kickoffs through the end zone, makes you think he might get called on should one of the other three not get there. Haire, can also boom a punt, and Harvin will be a Senior. The coaches knew the limitations on the two that just left.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

nervous compared to what? Not making the FG or xtra point like we’ve done for this past yr. True freshman keep in every yr and become the guy

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I hope Collins and the rest of the Tech community holds Patenaude to this same standard.
Get ready for this rotation for the first four games:
First down: Graham
Second down: Yates
Third down: Simms / Gleason
This would be detrimental to the program and show a lack of trust in the Student Athletes. I doubt this happens again.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One thing people here are missing is the role of confidence in placekicking.

You are Wells. You have a literally perfect year in 2018. You have shown what you can do in game situations. You have some limitations - range - but when there were points on the field to be had and you were called, you delivered. Then you get a new coach who, on the basis of practice alone, decides that you aren't what the teams needs. (Btw, for me this was the most incomprehensible decision in a year that had its share of them.) The guy who replaces you has a better leg (slightly), but can't hit the broad side of a barn half the time. What has happened to your confidence when you are finally called on to kick?

It's in the dumpster, of course. And you become less effective as a result. And, since there's a well-known feedback loop here, your kicking suffers more with each miss.

I feel for him; I truly do. Of all our players who suffered from the coaching transition, Wells is the one who suffered the most. All I can h0pe for is that the new kids fit more closely with what Collins wants and that they are handled with more care. After all, he did recruit them.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
For cgc sake I really hope we don’t lose a game next year due missed fg. (Yes I know we have lost games in the last couple of years due to missed fg).

For some reason I don’t believe this. Maybe you’re not in this camp, but there are a few on here that secretly hope this happens so they can bash Collins for Wells and King leaving.

And as others have said, it wouldn’t be any different than last year. I was nervous for extra points in games that we were actually in last year. That should never be the case.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

You are Wells. You have a literally perfect year in 2018. You have shown what you can do in game situations. You have some limitations - range - but when there were points on the field to be had and you were called, you delivered. Then you get a new coach who, on the basis of practice alone, decides that you aren't what the teams needs. (Btw, for me this was the most incomprehensible decision in a year that had its share of them.) The guy who replaces you has a better leg (slightly), but can't hit the broad side of a barn half the time. What has happened to your confidence when you are finally called on to kick?

It's in the dumpster, of course. And you become less effective as a result. And, since there's a well-known feedback loop here, your kicking suffers more with each miss.

I feel for him; I truly do. Of all our players who suffered from the coaching transition, Wells is the one who suffered the most. All I can h0pe for is that the new kids fit more closely with what Collins wants and that they are handled with more care. After all, he did recruit them.

We’ve already been over this. You have no clue what the kid looked line in practice unless you were there. Neither do I, but to pretend to know what happened without considering legitimate options doesn’t seem wise and shows lack of trust in Collins.

The kid could’ve gotten the yips in practice when the competition turned up. Think about 2018. He had no pressure/expectations on him as a walk on. Started the season as #2. He then gets an opportunity because the other guy “can’t hit the broad side of a barn” in your words. Very little pressure now because if he misses, he’s no worse than the other guy. He makes the kick, everybody pats him on the back and his confidence soars. That carries him through the season.

Now the offseason rolls around, he’s perfect on the year and a new staff rolls into town. All of those things out significantly more pressure than he had the year before on him. He feels lime he’s got to be perfect, he wants to impress the new staff and he has a ton of expectations on him now.

The above can mess with a person’s mind, which then impacts their performance. If that performance is so bad in practice and the person you’re competing with is significantly outperforming you, what do you think is going to happen?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Another point people are missing is the role of complacency. The new head coach thought so much of you that he called your mom and told her you were going on scholarship. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aj...d-scholarship/O0AKyB3xpoayraDpD2UX1J/amp.html

What you do? A complete 180 in results knowing you are on prove it or lose it schollie being a walk on. You can’t hit consistently from 40 in practice or pre game ( i was there for both instances) , but expect you will get a mulligan remain on schollie? Man, please

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You can’t hit consistently from 40 in practice or pre game ( i was there for both instances) , but expect you will get a mulligan remain on schollie? Man, please
You missed the point completely, as usual. You have to handle kickers with kid gloves. I know that "competition is king" and all that, but not with kickers. With someone like Wells, you accept their limits and work within them. And you don't undermine their confidence by basing their chances on anything but their performance in games. Giving him a scholarship then undermining all the happy talk by not depending on him to do the placekicking is exactly the kind of thing you don't do with a successful kicker. Especially when the player you pick to replace him is one who can't hit his kicks consistently.

It's water under the bridge now, of course. All we can hope for, like I say above, is that the new kids get handled better.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Imagine this board reaction if a someone became academically ineligible after making the dean list from 3 semesters ago. I wonder how much of an outcry there would be then.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You missed the point completely, as usual. You have to handle kickers with kid gloves. I know that "competition is king" and all that, but not with kickers. With someone like Wells, you accept their limits and work within them. And you don't undermine their confidence by basing their chances on anything but their performance in games. Giving him a scholarship then undermining all the happy talk by not depending on him to do the placekicking is exactly the kind of thing you don't do with a successful kicker. Especially when the player you pick to replace him is one who can't hit his kicks consistently.

It's water under the bridge now, of course. All we can hope for, like I say above, is that the new kids get handled better.

There is no point. You are taking all accountability and responsibility away from Wells and deflecting it elsewhere bc he didn’t live up to his scholarship

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Imagine this board reaction if a someone became academically ineligible after making the dean list from 3 semesters ago. I wonder how much of an outcry there would be then.
Our “theoretical” starting QB had to focus on studying and getting eligible and that ostensibly was why he got reduced practice and limited reps which is why we went to the “spin the wheel” method of determining which QB would take each snap. Our offense suffered tremendously as a result. Didn’t hear much outcry.