So what do we think about the Michigan sign-stealing debacle?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What should happen to Harbaugh? The football team? Etc.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
If it was school-sponsored, sure - harsh penalties. But last I heard it seems like a rogue actor? And why aren’t teams switching signs? We switched signs in high school baseball … this also should be embarrassing to the opposing coaching staffs

slugboy

Staff member
I can’t find it today, but I saw the difference in the wins from before they illegally scouted vs after, and it was dramatic.
They went from being a perennial runner up or above average team to a CFP qualifier. Maybe it was two to three wins a year.
The other B1G teams should be p*****d. If true, Michigan has been stealing wins from them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Don’t know enough about it to have an informed opinion but my general, totally biased, feeling about it is the usual disgust with an NCAA that protects the rich, a playoff system that is vulnerable to being manipulated, and the same old same old complaint that the Greek ideal of pure athletics as a thing of beauty, and the notion of amateur sports, is a nauseating shame when it comes to football.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Nothing will happen. It does look like they cheated, and it does look like they helpped South Carolina cheat as well. But the NCAA will do nothing, Best case is they ban Southern Michigan from playoffs for 2 years or something like that.

slugboy

Staff member
Don’t know enough about it to have an informed opinion but my general, totally biased, feeling about it is the usual disgust with an NCAA that protects the rich, a playoff system that is vulnerable to being manipulated, and the same old same old complaint that the Greek ideal of pure athletics as a thing of beauty, and the notion of amateur sports, is a nauseating shame when it comes to football.
The B1G may bring the hammer down. It’s like being in the mob—stealing is ok—but you better not steal from US.

The other coaches and ADs are angry, and the commissioner might not last unless he takes action

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hey, if Pepsi could steal Coke's secret formula, they would. You don't want your signs stolen, change them more often. If they headsets are being tapped into, that's one thing, but there's a reason catchers and 3rd base coaches run through a series of signs, to prevent the other side from knowing what they're going to do.

I don't know the details of this "scandal,' but protect your signs better and they won't be stolen. Does anyone think Haynes King knows the Texas A&M signals? Would it be cheating for him to share that with Texas? It's gamesmanship and the other coaches are pissed because Harbaugh broke the bro-code.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Hey, if Pepsi could steal Coke's secret formula, they would. You don't want your signs stolen, change them more often. If they headsets are being tapped into, that's one thing, but there's a reason catchers and 3rd base coaches run through a series of signs, to prevent the other side from knowing what they're going to do.

I don't know the details of this "scandal,' but protect your signs better and they won't be stolen. Does anyone think Haynes King knows the Texas A&M signals? Would it be cheating for him to share that with Texas? It's gamesmanship and the other coaches are pissed because Harbaugh broke the bro-code.
Yup… pretty much how I feel about it too.

Wonder if coach Johnson worried about his signs being stolen…:unsure:

This seems like a problem the other programs should’ve solved.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't get this.

"General Custer, sir, we have reports of a large group of indigenous personnel headed our way. We've seen campfire smoke and clouds of dust from galloping horses."

"Lieutenant, that's illegal. We can't use that information."

"Yes, sir. I'll tell the men not to prepare."

Seriously? If you don't want the other team to know what plays you're running, come up with a better system.

What a bunch of cry-babies.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't get this.

"General Custer, sir, we have reports of a large group of indigenous personnel headed our way. We've seen campfire smoke and clouds of dust from galloping horses."

"Lieutenant, that's illegal. We can't use that information."

"Yes, sir. I'll tell the men not to prepare."

Seriously? If you don't want the other team to know what plays you're running, come up with a better system.

What a bunch of cry-babies.
Equating war where people's lives will be lost to a football game is quite a stretch.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps some of y'all don't remember, but Tech has had signs stolen before when Al Groh was DC. Were you cool with that? How about in 2016 when uga had local HS coaches watching our practices and feeding them information about different plays we might run? If you remember on the "Qua"ntum Leap, uga was lined up perfectly to defend the play as called, despite Tech never having run the play in a game all season. Qua was supposed to throw the ball back to the left to JT, but he had 4 defenders waiting around him.

Play the game within the rules and have some integrity. It's that simple.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

It isn't against the rules to steal signs. In person scouting of upcoming opponents is against the rules. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the coverage, but from what I understand the issue is in person scouting of upcoming opponents. Apparently Michigan had their sign stealing group in the stands at games of upcoming opponents to help figure the signaling methods to use later in the Michigan games.

And to someone else's comments about Al Groh, I have heard that CPJ was pissed after the Middle Tennessee game because Groh hadn't even changed the defensive signals since the last year. MTS was stealing defensive signs in that game, but it wasn't because of in person scouting of upcoming games unless you consider MTS's game against GT the previous year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It isn't against the rules to steal signs. In person scouting of upcoming opponents is against the rules. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the coverage, but from what I understand the issue is in person scouting of upcoming opponents. Apparently Michigan had their sign stealing group in the stands at games of upcoming opponents to help figure the signaling methods to use later in the Michigan games.

And to someone else's comments about Al Groh, I have heard that CPJ was pissed after the Middle Tennessee game because Groh hadn't even changed the defensive signals since the last year. MTS was stealing defensive signs in that game, but it wasn't because of in person scouting of upcoming games unless you consider MTS's game against GT the previous year.

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Louisville and VT were fined $25k each for using the Wake playbooks. That’s the precedent. I suspect UM will get off similarly easy. Big Ten schools need to adjust… or maybe let the schools use in-helmet radios

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Louisville and VT were fined $25k each for using the Wake playbooks. That’s the precedent. I suspect UM will get off similarly easy. Big Ten schools need to adjust… or maybe let the schools use in-helmet radios
The primary conclusion to the whole Michigan situation will be allowing the use of radios in helmets. Supposedly there’s been votes on it before and the coaches have always voted no because everyone was trying to steal signs. I bet by next season the QB and MLB will have a green dot on their helmets.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
This is a result of going to a cashless society. It forced the guy to use a credit card. I mean, you think the Bear or Bowden didn't have someone scouting or teams in person you're fooling yourself.