So, should we withdraw the appeal on post season ban?

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For scheduling the ACC is not going to allow us to decide the day before the tourney. My bet is this is already decided and we are playing in the ACC tourney and then seeing if we get enough wins to get to the NIT. I fully expect we will serve the ban next year unless the ban is lifted.
Any source on this hot take? I'd imagine we would have seemed some leaked news if it was 'already decided'.

Seeding hasn't even been finished yet, so it's not like it'd affect travel or planning yet (or really scheduling). The difference would be if there was an extra BYE on the first day of the tourney or not. The last game of the season for ACC is only three days before the tournament, so we should be able to cut it close before the schedule is finalized. Last year the schedule was only released two days before the tournament.

So, I have no reason to believe Tech would have been forced to decide by now.

slugboy

Staff member
I can find some information on the NCAA committee on infractions and the appeals process, but I can’t find much detail. I’ve seen schools self-impose penalties, and I remember them modifying or withdrawing appeals, but I can’t find anything documented about the process for that.
Just this year, Memphis sued the NCAA. In what seemed to be a short time afterward, they withdrew their lawsuit and Memphis and the NCAA announced a modification to their penalties. Based on that, you’d think there was a way to amend the appeal, but I can’t see anything official.
The press stories on the Memphis lawsuit against the NCAA mostly take the position that it backfired. I thought the penalties got reduced in that case, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It seems to me, from reading about other suits against the NCAA, that we would have a legitimate case, but also one that is not a slam dunk. The fact that we agreed to abide by NCAA rules and gave the NCAA the power to enforce those rules, weakens our case. Our argument has to be that those rules were not being applied uniformly for whatever reason.

If our appeal is denied and we decide to sue, one thing we are almost certain to include in our lawsuit is that the courts stay the penalties until the court case is decided. That argument would be based on the fact that the harm to Georgia Tech would not be recoverable if GT wins the case. I could see that case lasting for 2-3 years, during which time we would not be subject to the NCAA penalties.

In that scenario, we do not want to be a bubble team for the tournament.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/important-ncaa-lawsuits.htm

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
The multi-hundred thousand dollars spent on appeals could be used to fund coaches salaries. I would rather put that cash aside after the season to see if we need to hire a new OC. Possibly a new basketball coach

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Should we withdraw the appeal on the postseason ban? Yes, of course.

Or, simply leave the appeal but announce we are self-impose a post season ban which includes not playing in the ACC tourney.

/

GTFLETCH

Banned
I say no, and then if we lose on appaeal let that Booster put his money were his mouth is. Crazy that Pastners still has a job.... That Booster should be clean up the Pastner hire before he goes off to the AJC about a lawsuit.... I woud love to see Pastner and Bell in the same court room ready for the stand becuase of the stupid Booster.... The only problem is the truth would come out and GT would have a stiffer sanction since Pastner brought Bell with him.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I say no, and then if we lose on appaeal let that Booster put his money were his mouth is. Crazy that Pastners still has a job.... That Booster should be clean up the Pastner hire before he goes off to the AJC about a lawsuit.... I woud love to see Pastner and Bell in the same court room ready for the stand becuase of the stupid Booster.... The only problem is the truth would come out and GT would have a stiffer sanction since Pastner brought Bell with him.

I find it fascinating how some folks are fully ready to tell other people how to spend their money. Have you considered a career in politics?

burlgt

Georgia Tech Fan

There is a lot here I think is misplaced:
1) "that Booster" is Zelnak. Walk around AMC by the interstate and you'll see his name prominently on a building, which is the GT practice facility.
2) Why is it "that Booster's" job to "clean up Pastner"
3) The lawsuit contemplated by Zelnak wouldn't have Ron Bell as a witness for the simply reason that the NCAA violations are not in dispute. The lawsuit would be against the NCAA for inconsistent enforcement activity. I cannot contemplate a situation where stiffer sanctions are applied for *known violations*
4) Anything that puts Ron Bell in the role of a leading witness is good for GT. He has no credibility.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
And based on results I think we got a bargain.
Does anyone recall the other coaches that were available at the time, and how they are doing now? I recall Bryce Drew (already fired) and Capel. Seems like Pastner was a better choice than both.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone recall the other coaches that were available at the time, and how they are doing now? I recall Bryce Drew (already fired) and Capel. Seems like Pastner was a better choice than both.

And didn’t both of those guys turn us down?

Deleted member 2897

I can find some information on the NCAA committee on infractions and the appeals process, but I can’t find much detail. I’ve seen schools self-impose penalties, and I remember them modifying or withdrawing appeals, but I can’t find anything documented about the process for that.
Just this year, Memphis sued the NCAA. In what seemed to be a short time afterward, they withdrew their lawsuit and Memphis and the NCAA announced a modification to their penalties. Based on that, you’d think there was a way to amend the appeal, but I can’t see anything official.
The press stories on the Memphis lawsuit against the NCAA mostly take the position that it backfired. I thought the penalties got reduced in that case, though.

Memphis is a funny one too. The NCAA deemed an athlete ineligible because someone paid for moving expenses BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL so he could play at a better school. The person who paid th expenses later became Memphis’ coach, but this was years before that happened.

When the NCAA lowered the penalty, part of it required the player to “donate $12,000 to the charity of your choice.” Huh? LOLOLOL. A college student. The NCAA are a bunch of idiots.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Memphis is a funny one too. The NCAA deemed an athlete ineligible because someone paid for moving expenses BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL so he could play at a better school. The person who paid th expenses later became Memphis’ coach, but this was years before that happened.

When the NCAA lowered the penalty, part of it required the player to “donate $12,000 to the charity of your choice.” Huh? LOLOLOL. A college student. The NCAA are a bunch of idiots.

I will defend the NCAA just a bit here - that guy who paid the expenses was already a significant Memphis booster with deep ties to the program regardless of whether he became coach or not. It is exactly the type of under the table inducements most folks shake their heads at. Beyond that Penny was already angling for the coaching job at Memphis and this was arguably part of getting ready for that. Telling the player to donate the sum spent on him to a charity and then he becomes eligible seems reasonably light for doing something he knows is against NCAA rules. Guys at that level know the rules - he is not some rube who hasn't been told exactly what he can do and can't do. It was a choice.

Now on the other side, the NCAA is a PR nightmare and many of their decisions are bazaar. So don't take this as blanket support for them.