So, should we withdraw the appeal on post season ban?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have presumed we are waiting to withdraw so that our players and fans don’t stop showing up for games until the last regular season game is played, but at this point I wonder if that’s the plan.

I don’t have a sense for what our chance of overcoming the ban is, last I read the general feeling was that it would be tough to win that battle. It would be a shame to finish strong at the end of the season and have to “self-impose lite [emoji769]” but I’d rather forgo the possible ACC Tourney wins and even less likely NIT invite now, than I would give up the chance to play next season. I actually think we have a shot at being a tourney team next year, and if we can’t play next season I think we hamper our rebuild significantly.

What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
I totally agree. I don't even think its a debate. If we don't and we lose the appeal then we will lose basically everyone. I can't blame, Moses, Jose, Usher, Parham and even Devoe that they should leave. If they do go through with the new transfer rule of not having to sit out then you will absolutely lose everyone. I just think it's way to big of a risk. Ideally, they would just get back to us on the appeal before the ACC Tourney. I get figure out why it takes so long to review the appeal in the first place.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I totally agree. I don't even think its a debate. If we don't and we lose the appeal then we will lose basically everyone. I can't blame, Moses, Jose, Usher, Parham and even Devoe that they should leave. If they do go through with the new transfer rule of not having to sit out then you will absolutely lose everyone. I just think it's way to big of a risk. Ideally, they would just get back to us on the appeal before the ACC Tourney. I get figure out why it takes so long to review the appeal in the first place.

'Cause NCAA are dum?

We should just withdraw the appeal. If we lose guys, we lose guys. Don't hold the players hostage. No need to go through the charade any longer. Rip off the bandaid.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
We will not lose the guys, if we withdraw now though. I would think they all would want to come back. We land a big grad transfer and maybe a decent shooter in the transfer market and we are a very good team next yr. We lose Banks, Philips and I am sure David Didenko.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We will not lose the guys, if we withdraw now though. I would think they all would want to come back. We land a big grad transfer and maybe a decent shooter in the transfer market and we are a very good team next yr. We lose Banks, Philips and I am sure David Didenko.

We could lose recruits. Guys would finish out the season then would be getting recruited to leave by other programs, I'm sure.

I just want us to remove this specter of the unknown, to the extent that we can. We'll survive a lost season, if it comes to that.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of the ban, found this quote from Shembari in today's program very interesting. View attachment 7839

I thought it must be from before the season started but then you see the quote about Kobe. Makes me wonder what they are telling the players.

Posted this in the Clemson game thread, but it's probably more relevant here. Makes me think they are telling the team it's still a possibility they will sit out this year, but who knows.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
We could lose recruits. Guys would finish out the season then would be getting recruited to leave by other programs, I'm sure.

I just want us to remove this specter of the unknown, to the extent that we can. We'll survive a lost season, if it comes to that.

We could lose recruits for whatever reason. Just drop the appeal and it would be much less likely because our core team should all be coming back and be very good.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We could lose recruits for whatever reason. Just drop the appeal and it would be much less likely because our core team should all be coming back and be very good.

I think we're actually in agreement. I must've misread you earlier.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I believe that we should drop the appeal and keep the hopes alive for next year.

But then, ya'll know I feel that way.....

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I've asked before but either didn't get an answer or missed it. Are we sure we can even drop the appeal at this point?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I've asked before but either didn't get an answer or missed it. Are we sure we can even drop the appeal at this point?
I’ve asked on Quinlans board and the response has been pretty vague. Even Packer and Durham were talking about this on their show last week and Wes had no idea what was going on.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Let’s not forget that we are appealing more than just the post-season ban. We are also appealing a one-scholarship reduction for the duration of our four-year probation, as well as a two-year ban on having official recruiting visits in conjunction with home games. What—seriously? Because a recruit was taken to a strip club on an OV, we can’t bring a recruit to a game in McCamish on an OV? (And it's not just about taking a recruit to a home game; we can't even schedule an OV to coincide with the date of any home game.) Where is the logic in that? Oh, wait—we are talking about the NCAA.

I doubt that we can drop the post-season appeal without also dropping the appeal of the recruiting sanctions...and to be honest I'd rather not drop the recruiting-related appeal. The scholarship limit doesn't bother me all that much, but I really think the OV restriction is absurd and excessive (as well unfair and just plain stupid because, you know, the NCAA is involved).

In hindsight, it probably would have been better at the outset to accept the post-season ban, and appeal only the recruiting sanctions...

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought the home game prohibition was in conjunction with Football home games - not basketball home games?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
We don't have to drop the appeal to self impose the post season ban part as a show of good faith. I'm of the mind it's NCAA tournament or bust and to do that we'd have to win the ACC tournament (which would be the most GT thing we could possibly do) but to what end? Devoe would leave if the penalty was enforced next year and probably Jose and Moses. I'm not sure our team could weather that loss. If we take the momentum we have now into next year we should be a really good team. If we're not fairly confident about our NCAA resume in early February next year we need to clean house

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I thought the home game prohibition was in conjunction with Football home games - not basketball home games?
As I read it, the OV sanction was added because Wendell Carter was taken to a strip club during an OV when the basketball team had an exhibition game, which says to me that the ban is associated with BB games, not FB.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We don't have to drop the appeal to self impose the post season ban part as a show of good faith. I'm of the mind it's NCAA tournament or bust and to do that we'd have to win the ACC tournament (which would be the most GT thing we could possibly do) but to what end? Devoe would leave if the penalty was enforced next year and probably Jose and Moses. I'm not sure our team could weather that loss. If we take the momentum we have now into next year we should be a really good team. If we're not fairly confident about our NCAA resume in early February next year we need to clean house

One problem is, it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that 'good faith gestures' mean nothing.

... and, don't tell nobody I said it, but I kinda think there's gonna be some *ahem* spring cleaning late FEB/MAR either way, but that's a whole other discussion. :whistle:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
As I read it, the OV sanction was added because Wendell Carter was taken to a strip club during an OV when the basketball team had an exhibition game, which says to me that the ban is associated with BB games, not FB.

OK - I thought we had recruits on OV at games this year but could well be wrong. Regardless, I am sure the Cheetah closes on every day we don't have a home game so the NCAA restriction make sure it won't happen again. :oops::banghead::(

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
OK - I thought we had recruits on OV at games this year but could well be wrong. Regardless, I am sure the Cheetah closes on every day we don't have a home game so the NCAA restriction make sure it won't happen again. :oops::banghead::(
I’m sure we did have recruits on OVs this season. Remember, while the appeal is pending, the sanctions are suspended. If we drop the appeal now, the two year ban starts next season.