Snap to QB

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It all comes down to execution of the snap and everything else in the called play.

Shotgun snaps aren’t our problem. Executing shotgun snaps has been a problem. And the rest of the execution within called plays.

I prefer direct snaps in short yardage. I think it has more advantages overall. And I like the option for the QB to sneak it. But it’s mostly a personal preference thing.

How fast the ball gets to the rb either way is measurably negligible.

Hopefully Key has been working the kinks out of our too often sloppy snaps.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
It all comes down to execution of the snap and everything else in the called play.

Shotgun snaps aren’t our problem. Executing shotgun snaps has been a problem. And the rest of the execution within called plays.

I prefer direct snaps in short yardage. I think it has more advantages overall. And I like the option for the QB to sneak it. But it’s mostly a personal preference thing.

How fast the ball gets to the rb either way is measurably negligible.

Hopefully Key has been working the kinks out of our too often sloppy snaps.

I have no data on whether under center or shotgun is faster, but how fast getting the ball to the running back does matter. And I think especially on plays between the tackles when the running back is looking for a crease in short yardage situations.

And how it gets from center to running back has several variables between under center and shotgun.

First, the quarterback must control the ball. Whether under center or shotgun. In the shotgun the QB had better be looking at the ball when he catches it in the shotgun. While he is doing that he is not watching what the defense is doing. Second, the timing of the play, as in when the running back hits the hole, is important. Too slow and the hole closes. A bobble of the snap can easily throws off play timing. Third, the sooner the running back has control of the ball the better he can see what is happening in front of him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I have no data on whether under center or shotgun is faster, but how fast getting the ball to the running back does matter. And I think especially on plays between the tackles when the running back is looking for a crease in short yardage situations.

And how it gets from center to running back has several variables between under center and shotgun.

First, the quarterback must control the ball. Whether under center or shotgun. In the shotgun the QB had better be looking at the ball when he catches it in the shotgun. While he is doing that he is not watching what the defense is doing. Second, the timing of the play, as in when the running back hits the hole, is important. Too slow and the hole closes. A bobble of the snap can easily throws off play timing. Third, the sooner the running back has control of the ball the better he can see what is happening in front of him.

Yeah and it all comes down to execution. Though I have my own personal preference I don’t think any one single thing, the type of snap in this case, matters overly much in the bigger scheme of everything.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, Navy and the Triple Option got stuffed by MEMPHIS multiple times on 3rd+4th and short. Memphis.
It is odd, is it not, that the further Navy gets from Johnson's offense -- shotguns, diamonds, spreads, empty backfields -- the worse they do, while Army comes out there with an occasional twist but mostly the basic Johnson spread, and wins 11 games and beats Navy three straight? Niumatalolo and Ivan Jasper seem to have succumbed to the sirens for glamour and dash and now struggled to get to .500.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah The Eagles got at least two first downs on QB
Sneaks earlier tonight. I really don’t get this philosophy.

To be fair to our coaching staff, I see this asinine philosophy with a lot of college football teams, so they aren’t the only ones doing this.

We’ve gone under center this year. We’ve tried qb sneaks. They’ve been as unsuccessful as the other plays we’ve run.