Smelter

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
I have just watched some highlights of last season (I think I have watched as many as most on here but not as many as a few), and the value of Smelter last season is incredible.

I am not sure I am going out on a limb, but maybe I am--Smelter, to me, was the most valuable receiver CPJ has had at GT. No disrespect to Thomas or Hill, but the things Smelter did last year were impressive and extremely important in the games. It is really hard to judge--obviously Smelter is not in the same realm as Calvin, because I do not know someone who is, but, to me, someone is going to get an extremely strong NFL player when he is drafted. If I am considering drafting anyone other than Cooper, I think I would rather take Smelter in the 3rd or 4th round than anyone else.

Point being, there is no doubt to me that Smelter is absolutely a legitimate starter in the NFL in 2 years, and for 5-10 years thereafter.

In complete honesty, I thought Calvin was the best pick in the draft his year and that Thomas and Hill were drafted far too high. I think I was mostly correct about Calvin and Hill and terribly off base on Thomas. So, take that for what it is worth.

But looking at the highlights, with the benefit of knowing Smelter only played CF for two years (and considering the comments from the coaches about the difference b/w year 1 and 2), it is hard for me not to consider this dude to be one of the top 10 WRs in the NFL in 3-4 years.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Ypur 100% right. He won multiple games for us and probably would have put us over the top to beat FSU. Not that Waller didn't do well, but you couldn't cover both of those guys.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Smelter won multiple games for us this year. I hope to see him for many years. As far as which one was the best of the CPJ WRs, I think Smelter was the most consistently clutch catcher we have had. He got open and didn't drop them like Thomas and Hill.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Smelter was one of the best players in college football last year. Should have been All ACC and All American. I would take him over any other receiver that played last season. In the same class as Cooper at Alabama.

Go Jackets!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Ypur 100% right. He won multiple games for us and probably would have put us over the top to beat FSU. Not that Waller didn't do well, but you couldn't cover both of those guys.
Hindsight and all that, and what happened happened. But yeah, there were at least two sideline routes where Thomas and Waller were in different playbooks, and a third that was intercepted I never did figure out. Don't know how GT communicates when a WR decides to break off a route or go deep, but they sure screwed two of them up. Smelter will not be in the Johnson or Thomas class -- nobody is -- but he ain't no Hill, either. I thought Smelter would have done better in '13 except he had two QBs still learning the system and one of them routinely chunking high and outside, while Thomas still has some consistency issues deep down the sideline; the better angle he has -- VT -- the more accurate he is. It's going to be 2016 before we see Smelter in the NFL, though. Or should be, if the team signing him has a lick of sense. You know, not the Cleveland Browns.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
[QUOTE="Skeptic, post: 144575, member: 2175] But yeah, there were at least two sideline routes where Thomas and Waller were in different playbooks, and a third that was intercepted I never did figure out. Don't know how GT communicates when a WR decides to break off a route or go deep, but they sure screwed two of them up.[/QUOTE]

Some of those plays were probably option routes. The QB and the WR have to read the CB the same way and if they don't you get a busted play or an interception. Of course, if they read the same way, the CB has almost no chance to defend. An example of the option read is when the WR and CB are racing down the sideline. If the CB is even with or ahead of the WR, the QB throws behind them and the WR slams on the brakes to make the catch. If the CB is behind the WR, the QB throws deep and the WR outruns the CB to the ball.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT was a first year starter and locked onto his primary receiver far too often. The benefit of that goes to the primary receiver, he gets more chances. When Smelter went down, Waller became the primary guy and he benefitted, too. Just look at the play in the OB where Bostic was running free in the middle of the field and JT threw the td to Waller. Yes, Waller made the catch, but it was contested and the db was step for step with him. Bostic was uncovered.

This is an area I am hopeful that JT improves in this season. He should feel very comfortable with his OL protection and that plays a part.

[QUOTE="Skeptic, post: 144575, member: 2175] But yeah, there were at least two sideline routes where Thomas and Waller were in different playbooks, and a third that was intercepted I never did figure out. Don't know how GT communicates when a WR decides to break off a route or go deep, but they sure screwed two of them up.

Some of those plays were probably option routes. The QB and the WR have to read the CB the same way and if they don't you get a busted play or an interception. [/Quote]

Correct, but with Justin Thomas we will never know how many "busted" plays got salvaged by his innate ability. He is not a great passer--yet. But he is a fantastic runner with good vision and great speed. Looking forward to improved passing to the WR's and the backs out of the backfield. We have the potential to place unbelievable pressure on opposing DB's. There will be no defense that can stop our wide running/competent passing game without surrendering the area between the tackles. Etc., etc., etc..