Small Senior Class Next Year...

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It could be a cause for concern. To be really good, you need a minimum of 20 -25 seniors sprinkled through your lineup. On the reverse, it means we should have 72 players returning for 2017. I am hoping we will one day have balanced classes every year. Our roller coaster seasons have a direct correlation to this imbalance IMHO.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree and think this is one of the reason we struggled this past year. Our 2012 and 2013 classes were very small, and several players from our 2013 recruiting class are no longer on the team. This fact coupled with injuries forced us to play young players. Hopefully this does not cause any problems again this year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
They should let schools grant twenty-five 4 year scholarships each year, give them out when they want. That's it, no replacements if Johnny doesn't even start school because the bag man & his high priced lawyer couldn't shake those grand theft auto or beating up the girlfriend charges. You fail your guys out, you recruit a bunch of one and dones, you have a poor strength and conditioning program & everyone gets hurt then that's your problem. Of course, you can also have bad luck but them's the breaks. The 25 per year should cover the 21.25 per year a team should be averaging over a 4 year period anyway. Want to keep a guy on scholarship for 5 years & that needs to come out of the next year's pile. The chicanery with Bammer, etc spending all this time trying to figure out how to process players out need to be put to pasture. They're paid to manage the program and they need to start playing by the rules.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
They should let schools grant twenty-five 4 year scholarships each year, give them out when they want. That's it, no replacements if Johnny doesn't even start school because the bag man & his high priced lawyer couldn't shake those grand theft auto or beating up the girlfriend charges. You fail your guys out, you recruit a bunch of one and dones, you have a poor strength and conditioning program & everyone gets hurt then that's your problem. Of course, you can also have bad luck but them's the breaks. The 25 per year should cover the 21.25 per year a team should be averaging over a 4 year period anyway. Want to keep a guy on scholarship for 5 years & that needs to come out of the next year's pile. The chicanery with Bammer, etc spending all this time trying to figure out how to process players out need to be put to pasture. They're paid to manage the program and they need to start playing by the rules.
CPJ has advocated for something like this before. My two logistical questions are what do you do for transfers and players who become medically disqualified?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I would lower it to 15 per year. It would make CFB more like the NFL with parity every year. 25 would mean the BAMAs of the world would still stockpile talent.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

IMO This analysis is somewhat short sighted. It seems to assume the 2017 recruits fill an immediate need. Not so. Most of the 2017 recruits will not make 2 deep contributions until 2019, so the 2019 roster should be the primary guide. As such we will desperately need OL, safeties, and SDE as the top priority in the 2017 class. The second priority should be the 2018 roster and you get a similiar answer: OL and safeties. We will need lots of bodies at other positions as well, but we are totally depleted at these three positions in 2019 and this should be the emphasis..

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
IMO This analysis is somewhat short sighted. It seems to assume the 2017 recruits fill an immediate need. Not so. Most of the 2017 recruits will not make 2 deep contributions until 2019, so the 2019 roster should be the primary guide. As such we will desperately need OL, safeties, and SDE as the top priority in the 2017 class. The second priority should be the 2018 roster and you get a similiar answer: OL and safeties. We will need lots of bodies at other positions as well, but we are totally depleted at these three positions in 2019 and this should be the emphasis..
Interesting. Tell Joey and see what he says.

LibertyTurns

Banned
CPJ has advocated for something like this before. My two logistical questions are what do you do for transfers and players who become medically disqualified?
Nothing. 25 per year gives you 100 over 4 years when theoretically you can only be at 85. Difference is Bammer runs them off and ends up with 125 when GT plays by the rules and ends up granting scholarships to 15-20 less players over the same period. Bammer ends up with replacements and GT ends up with shortfalls. We can never compete this way

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nothing. 25 per year gives you 100 over 4 years when theoretically you can only be at 85. Difference is Bammer runs them off and ends up with 125 when GT plays by the rules and ends up granting scholarships to 15-20 less players over the same period. Bammer ends up with replacements and GT ends up with shortfalls. We can never compete this way

I think that you're on to something, but I don't think we should give up the Red-Shirt year, if that's what you intended (if not, then the number is 125 over 5 years). What happens here is that a lot of schools can't afford that many scholarships (plus cost of living etc). Now, I like the idea of limiting signings and losing a scholarship spot for guys that you misfire on, but I think that maybe there needs to be a balance between 4-yr and 1-yr scholarships in order to give some risky guys a shot and proving themselves.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
you guys do realize paul has been here for almost a decade, and still hasn't "balanced" his classed despite trying desperately.

its not possible due to the amount you can recruit relative to the cap at 85. We don't run kids off and we can't predict losses. Time to move on and just fill ships real time. Its not possible IMO due to tech, attrition, grades, kids leaving early after they graduate etc....Its been a decade....

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I believe a similar approach to scholarships was applied to college basketball a while back. It did not work out well for us, and we were one of the examples used as to why the rule should be done away with it. Thankfully, the NCAA saw fit to change it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
you guys do realize paul has been here for almost a decade, and still hasn't "balanced" his classed despite trying desperately.

its not possible due to the amount you can recruit relative to the cap at 85. We don't run kids off and we can't predict losses. Time to move on and just fill ships real time. Its not possible IMO due to tech, attrition, grades, kids leaving early after they graduate etc....Its been a decade....
I don't think he's holding back ships on purpose to "balance classes." I think he'd fill them with top guys if he could. However, I think he'd rather save them for next year than gamble on long shots, especially when the next class looks real small at this point.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

He actually did get the classes balanced pretty well a few years ago (~2012 iirc) and made comments about it. The big attrition in 2014 threw it out of whack.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
That is one of the reasons we got out of the SEC. The 85 limit has helped some but it hurts the teams that play by the intent of the law.