Film Room Slow Motion Video GT v JaxST

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Man, some of those near-misses in the first half were huge (errant pitch to JJ, wrong-way-Qua). Those would've been TD's (especially the one to Qua) or would've been very big plays which likely would've set up scores. Would've blown it open a lot earlier.
Kirvonte ran hard the first few carries, but he did get stuffed pretty hard on that one play and after that he seemed to be bracing himself for impact a little bit rather than exploding through the hole. As CPJ said, that should provide a great learning opportunity for Kirvonte. You can see he has the tools for the position.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks, Longestday! That was my tech game for this weekend. :( That JSU defense is fast! Makes me worry a lot about Clemson.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something to remember about offensive execution this game: the practice for that week were not full pads (due to the UT game on Monday), therefore the guys didn't get to go full speed. We looked better as the game wore on and the our guys adjusted to JSU's speed and the defensive looks they were giving us.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The play where Coach West (I think) and CPJ are both pointing ... I think they're point at exactly what you were pointing out on that play. They were pointing at the guy who came in unblocked to make the tackle. I couldn't tell as much with CPJ, but it seems to me that West is pointing at the tackler and looking at Lee (#53) as if to say, there's your guy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Watching this it becomes clear that Shamire had another good game. I thought he had been down a bit from UT and he was, I think, on his pulls. Otherwise, he was killing on the drive blocks, as usual, and getting to the second level. The whole OL, however, was obviously suffering from the short week. Even Parker and Will were having a hard time getting to the edge and making blocks on their pulls. Unusual, that.

Of course, the JSU D had something to say about that. Those guys were as quick as any P5 team, imho, and very well coached. As Longest points out, they seldom bit on counters and made life difficult all day.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Watching this it becomes clear that Shamire had another good game. I thought he had been down a bit from UT and he was, I think, on his pulls. Otherwise, he was killing on the drive blocks, as usual, and getting to the second level. The whole OL, however, was obviously suffering from the short week. Even Parker and Will were having a hard time getting to the edge and making blocks on their pulls. Unusual, that.

Of course, the JSU D had something to say about that. Those guys were as quick as any P5 team, imho, and very well coached. As Longest points out, they seldom bit on counters and made life difficult all day.

By scheme on a lot of our plays we do not block the backside DE/LB. When Jax #40 (so fast and instinctive) was in that position he often blew up our plays. Something to consider going forward.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
By scheme on a lot of our plays we do not block the backside DE/LB. When Jax #40 (so fast and instinctive) was in that position he often blew up our plays. Something to consider going forward.
True, #40 did disproportionate damage to us - especially from the backside. I've seen CPJ call a WR reverse to combat this over-zealous flow from the backside. I'm not sure why it wasn't called this time, but perhaps it was because he thought we should be able to win this game without that and wanted to save it for another time.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
True, #40 did disproportionate damage to us - especially from the backside. I've seen CPJ call a WR reverse to combat this over-zealous flow from the backside. I'm not sure why it wasn't called this time, but perhaps it was because he thought we should be able to win this game without that and wanted to save it for another time.

The throwback to the QB is also killer against this. TM did show his receiving skills when he was at AB... hmmmm...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I agree and maybe #40 would have blown that play up also. We tried a necked bootleg with MJ and the other DE/OLB, I believe #48, blew up that play. I agree that "some good players" and "well coached" are good descriptions for the Jax D.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The play around 18:20 was definitely a dive. QB hands the ball off with one hand, and the DE that goes unblocked wasn't even chipped. Looks like it was just miscommunication between guard and tackle.

#40 was definitely over pursuing. In a close game I do think we would have done a reverse. I don't know if I've ever seen this, but a screen pass away from the playside rollout would also kill over pursuit (does that play have a name?). I found something similar to my thought but I'd want the rollout to be longer to draw in the back side more.