Sling TV

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
ESPN3 is on the $30 plan. The $35 plan really only gets you ESPNU and SEC Network.

I'm not sure how much better it actually is but I really only have it because it gets the Discovery channels for my wife. Plus having the ability for multiple people to watch at once is nice. It all may just depend on if those are worth the extra $10 to you.

Why is it not listed on the plan on the website?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Nevermind. Found it.

Ill be swapping next month over to VUE. I pay $43 a month for Sling now but that doesnt include any of the ESPNs (i have the fox package) Spike or Discovery. But i have the HBO add on. I can basically get HBO for $7 a month along with those channels that arent currently on for me and everything i already have.

Still dont see the ESPN3 logo anywhere though which broadcasts almost all p5 basketball games. anyone have info on that?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Nevermind. Found it.

Ill be swapping next month over to VUE. I pay $43 a month for Sling now but that doesnt include any of the ESPNs (i have the fox package) Spike or Discovery. But i have the HBO add on. I can basically get HBO for $7 a month along with those channels that arent currently on for me and everything i already have.

Still dont see the ESPN3 logo anywhere though which broadcasts almost all p5 basketball games. anyone have info on that?
If you have ESPN, you have ESPN3

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
DirectTV Now launches tomorrow with the base package starting at $35 which is about $5 more than what I pay for PS Vue. Looks like initial customers can get a special rate on the $60 package for $35 and get grandfathered in. More specials include a free FireTV Stick if you prepay 1 month or a free AppleTV if you prepay 3 months from what I’ve read. I’m probably gonna jump on this since if you have AT&T Wireless it doesn’t count against your mobile data for streaming.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/11/28/t-launch-new-directv-now-service-nov-30/94562088/

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I recently made the switch to PS Vue. If I could combine the price and selection of PSV with the setup on screen of Sling I would be a very happy guy. But the addition of Discovery, ESPNU for $5 less a month makes it worth it. Gotta watch those oklahoma boys on street outlaws

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
ive been whining and crying over cable and my monthly bills for years.

well i finally did it and cut the cable. went from a $190 a month down to $120 in my first attempt. i expect that to decrease as i find more apps.

i have a samsung smart tv but it just didnt cut it as far as how it handled streaming etc so i ended up buying a fire tv box. AND im very happy i did.

fire tv (not to be confused with fire stick) does a great job of streaming. has an extra 4-5 gig of memory for apps etc. there are something like 7,000 apps to chose from. from a mfg engineers perspective... best form fit and function ive seen in a piece of electronics in quite awhile.AND IS HAS ALEXA. $80 was money well spent imo.

i ended up with sling tv and netflix along with the ability to chose from 7000 apps. many of which are free.

i also added a free Youtube app which is killer. movies sports AND i dont have to watch the lies from lame stream media news any more.

my first choice was play station vue but after experiencing their god awful customer service i decided on sling. for those of you who dont know... ps vue has a ton of technical issues. i had a week of free viewing available but as it turned out i did not watch a single minute of streaming during the entire 5 days. a ps vue free week is not 7 days but only 5. to make matters totally unbearable.... every time i tried to contact customer service for help via chat i had to fill out a captcha form every 3 minutes during my wait. i was able to chat once over 4 days and spent hours filling out captchas every 3 minutes. TALK ABOUT AGGRAVATED.

with sling and youtube i have all the sport channels and viewing options i could possibly want. i also spent $10 for a hd indoor wall mount tv antennae. i receive 16 additional local channels including the big 4.

gt bob is a god on youtube with all his gt fb and bb videos. TANKS GT BOB. if you read this please consider adding cc for us old farts who are hearing impaired if you can.

when i went to my local time warner/ spectrum office to cut the cable the arrogance i encountered was unbelievable. the girl helping me said "youll be back" after refusing to even discuss giving a long time customer a better deal with the package i had at the time. certainly explains the increases in my bill over the past 3.5 years from $117 to $185 without a single change to my package. they evidently feel that we have no options.

next on my agenda is looking into using a raspberry pi to see if i can reduce my internet dependence even further.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
that i know of i have all the espn's on sling. fs1 fs2. watch espn. the acc network. the sec network. i may have the big network as well.

the difference between captchas and no captchas and quick customer support was the straw that won me over to sling. i just got rid of cable and their ungodly customer support chat que'ing. why on earth would i accept worse from vue?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
ive been whining and crying over cable and my monthly bills for years.

well i finally did it and cut the cable. went from a $190 a month down to $120 in my first attempt. i expect that to decrease as i find more apps.

i have a samsung smart tv but it just didnt cut it as far as how it handled streaming etc so i ended up buying a fire tv box. AND im very happy i did.

fire tv (not to be confused with fire stick) does a great job of streaming. has an extra 4-5 gig of memory for apps etc. there are something like 7,000 apps to chose from. from a mfg engineers perspective... best form fit and function ive seen in a piece of electronics in quite awhile.AND IS HAS ALEXA. $80 was money well spent imo.

i ended up with sling tv and netflix along with the ability to chose from 7000 apps. many of which are free.

i also added a free Youtube app which is killer. movies sports AND i dont have to watch the lies from lame stream media news any more.

my first choice was play station vue but after experiencing their god awful customer service i decided on sling. for those of you who dont know... ps vue has a ton of technical issues. i had a week of free viewing available but as it turned out i did not watch a single minute of streaming during the entire 5 days. a ps vue free week is not 7 days but only 5. to make matters totally unbearable.... every time i tried to contact customer service for help via chat i had to fill out a captcha form every 3 minutes during my wait. i was able to chat once over 4 days and spent hours filling out captchas every 3 minutes. TALK ABOUT AGGRAVATED.

with sling and youtube i have all the sport channels and viewing options i could possibly want. i also spent $10 for a hd indoor wall mount tv antennae. i receive 16 additional local channels including the big 4.

gt bob is a god on youtube with all his gt fb and bb videos. TANKS GT BOB. if you read this please consider adding cc for us old farts who are hearing impaired if you can.

when i went to my local time warner/ spectrum office to cut the cable the arrogance i encountered was unbelievable. the girl helping me said "youll be back" after refusing to even discuss giving a long time customer a better deal with the package i had at the time. certainly explains the increases in my bill over the past 3.5 years from $117 to $185 without a single change to my package. they evidently feel that we have no options.

next on my agenda is looking into using a raspberry pi to see if i can reduce my internet dependence even further.

I don't know what your phone bill is but I've cut a further cord by going to a T-Mobile unlimited everything plan. I use miracast to mirror my android phone to my TV (thru my blueray player). It works well with Amazon prime (and I think Sling but not Hulu nor PSVUE I haven't tried NetFlix yet). I can also tether to my laptop. So, I get phone, internet and TV streaming with just my phone bill and streaming service cost.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what your phone bill is but I've cut a further cord by going to a T-Mobile unlimited everything plan. I use miracast to mirror my android phone to my TV (thru my blueray player). It works well with Amazon prime (and I think Sling but not Hulu nor PSVUE I haven't tried NetFlix yet). I can also tether to my laptop. So, I get phone, internet and TV streaming with just my phone bill and streaming service cost.

im almost deaf so going the phone route of any kind is useless to me. matter of fact i just purchased my first smart phone and only use text. so anything involving that type of equipment is out of the question for me.

for this reason alone my experience with all these various devices is limited at best. i had to do some studying up on the terminology etc just to do what ive done to date. its been a real struggle for me trying to keep up.

thanks for the info .

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
PSVue is also raising their rates by 33% starting this month for new users and existing users in October. At that point I may explore other options. I had the ESPNs, fox channels TBS TNT USA ( having those are worth it just for Animal Kingdom on TNT) for $30. I added showtime for another $10 but now the base package is $40 instead of $30 so I cancelled the showtime. I may go back to sling. Funny thing is I only watch the premium channel shows for the most part (Showtime & HBO) and some on AMC (Preacher, TWD) and only have the world wide leader in race baiting for live events.

I am still on Roku but will be switching everything over to Fire Tv eventually as well. It offers more features such as DVR which is useful because the AMC app is absolute garbage and AMC doesn't put a majority of their programming on VOD.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
im almost deaf so going the phone route of any kind is useless to me. matter of fact i just purchased my first smart phone and only use text. so anything involving that type of equipment is out of the question for me.

for this reason alone my experience with all these various devices is limited at best. i had to do some studying up on the terminology etc just to do what ive done to date. its been a real struggle for me trying to keep up.

thanks for the info .

Yeah, I'm not sure we're on the same page. I typically use CC myself because of hearing issues. I was just saying that I get my internet only through my phone, which also allows me to get Amazon Prime and Sling which I can get on my TV with TV audio by having it mirror my phone.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I'm not sure we're on the same page. I typically use CC myself because of hearing issues. I was just saying that I get my internet only through my phone, which also allows me to get Amazon Prime and Sling which I can get on my TV with TV audio by having it mirror my phone.

You using any amps throughout the house? Any effect on the battery life of the phone? (assuming you have it charging when its broadcasting)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You using any amps throughout the house? Any effect on the battery life of the phone? (assuming you have it charging when its broadcasting)

No amps. 1st Battery did die from overcharging. Now I'm unplugging when at 100% and don't start charging again till below 50%.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My parents are thinking of switching to Sling but are not sure if it would work with a DVR. Does it?

You should be able to set up you "favorite shows" and it will create a DVR on the app IIRC. You shouldn't need an additional DVR, but I don't think an additional DVR would be compatible