Sims vs. Pickett

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While watching the game I had the vague idea that Pickett is a senior version of Sims....mobile, athletic but not the most accurate. I thought Pickett missed some deep balls that were very open. Is this a valid comparison? Would you be satisfied with this progression (i.e Sims as a senior = Pickett as a senior)? Or does Jeff have a higher ceiling? I am one of those who believe that touch (passing, shooting a BB, short game in golf, etc.) can be improved on with practice but mostly it is something inherent in a person...you either have it or you don't. Granted, Pickett had more support from his OL than Jeff has gotten here this year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My own guess is that Sims has more upside than what I saw last night form Pickett.

Sims' primary problems in my opinion are that
  1. he watches his receivers, drawing safeties to the location he's going to throw the ball (like his first interception last night). We all know you cannot stare down your receivers in college. Sims does too. But knowing it and getting the discipline ot avoid doing it are two different things. But hat can definitely be learned, and I believe he will
  2. Sims gets nervous in the pocket...but given how often he is being pursued by the D line, that's hardly his fault. I have hopes our O line pass blocking improves over time. Sims can then go through his progressions which he often does not have the time to do today.
I am hoping for another Joe Hamilton upside.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure about Sims. The knock on him in HS was touch on his passes. That's why Norvell passed on him.

If the OL improves, he may not start by the time he is a senior. Right now we need his running ability due to the line. I could see Peery or someone with better accuracy winning the job if we learn how to pass block..

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sims has significantly more potential than Pickett. Compare Sims this year in 10 games to Pickett's soph year in 14 games.

Sims - 1881 yards (188 ypg and 7.3 ypa) on 55% with 13 TD - 13 INT. 492 yards rushing (49 per game and 4.2 per rush) 6 TDs.
Pickett - 1969 yards (141 ypg and 6.4 ypa) on 58% with 12 TD - 6 INT. 220 yards rushing( 16 per game and 1.9 per rush. 2 Tds.

Sims is markedly better in production both passing and running the ball, both per game and per attempt, as well as in producing TDs. Sims is worse in TOs, but that is heavily skewed by his first three games (8 INTs in the first 3 games) where in the last 7 games he has 5 (which would put him at 10 for a 14 game schedule. Many of his TDs have been a product of either his inexperience (reading dropping defenders) or bad OL play both of which will improve as the years go on. And that's a comparison of a true freshman without a normal summer/fall compared to a sophomore.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm amazed at how difficult it is for Sims to hit the crossing route or the out route. Guess that goes back to lack of touch

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
My opinion, I think the quarterback that leads Tech to the promised land is still in high school somewhere. Sims played his 10th college football game last night and his very first pass was intercepted. He has cut down on some mistakes, but I'm not seeing a lot of progression since the early part of the season. On the other hand his receivers aren't helping his cause either.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
My opinion, I think the quarterback that leads Tech to the promised land is still in high school somewhere. Sims played his 10th college football game last night and his very first pass was intercepted. He has cut down on some mistakes, but I'm not seeing a lot of progression since the early part of the season. On the other hand his receivers aren't helping his cause either.

That was a good play by the Safety. The safety bailed from his responsibility and jumped the post route. This is the type of stuff i expected from our secondary this yr

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims going to be fine, y’all are picking apart a true freshman. When he lights it up y’all will all be on your knees

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sims going to be fine, y’all are picking apart a true freshman. When he lights it up y’all will all be on your knees
I don't think a comparison to Pickett is a slam fwiw. Guy looks to be a very serviceable D1 QB. I think but am too lazy to look it up that Pitt's record is significantly worse when he is unable to play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sims is having a decent to good year for a true freshmen that didn't get the benefit of full summer workouts and a full fall camp. LOTs for him to improve upon, but he did some nice things.

He really needs to improve on his reads and anticipation...for some reason he's holding on to the ball too long towards the last half of the season. Earlier in the year he would make his reads and just let it rip. He's missing open windows now because he's holding onto the ball too long. There were some throws in the beginning of the season where I thought only certain QBs could see...and he was making them. I believe I pointed them out in those games. Not seeing those type of reads lately. Those early INTs may have made him a bit gun shy.

Our QB commit for the 2021 class is talented passer. He's not the athlete Sims is, but the Peery is gonna give Jeff all he can handle when it comes to passer vs passer. Sims better improve or he might find himself sharing snaps.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims with a strong OL is a Heisman candidate. The numbers for a true freshman at GT speak for themselves. Most talented QB at GT in a long time and already criticism. He isn't the problem.
Right for a true freshman he’s looking great. People are so quick to criticize but this kid came in straight from highschool and started against Clemson and ND. It blows my mind the unrealistic expectations these couch coaches have. They would bend over for joe ham whose numbers were eerily similar

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
BTW, in this game, freshman vs senior, their DL vs our OL and our DL vs their OL, Sims had 20% more yards, on 5% better percentage with nearly 2 ypa advantage, 1 more TD accounted for, in exchange for an extra INT.

Obviously that doesn't encompass everything about QB play but it's debatable whether Pickett outplayed Sims in this game. The biggest difference was along the lines.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I thought Sims was excellent vs. a top 10 defense. WRs, other than Camp, didn’t carry their weight at all for Sims. Also didn’t help that his OL still struggle with picking up blitzes from an odd man front
I hate to say it but i'm starting to rethink how I feel about CBK . I would hate to think our players are to dumb to learn something that they have been taught.