Simplify

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
When you hear CPJ talk about a simplifying the defense, what does that mean to you? For me it means a couple calls based on the formation the offense presents. We have a base for trips/doubles/1 TE/2TE sets and a few checks off of that base. Just lineup, know what to do, and play. Recognize the formation, listen for a check, and play.

I believe CPJ thinks a lot of the success of the up tempo spread is making the defense think too much when trying to get the call and lineup. A simple base is better than a disorganized defense.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When you hear CPJ talk about a simplifying the defense, what does that mean to you? For me it means a couple calls based on the formation the offense presents. We have a base for trips/doubles/1 TE/2TE sets and a few checks off of that base. Just lineup, know what to do, and play. Recognize the formation, listen for a check, and play.

I believe CPJ thinks a lot of the success of the up tempo spread is making the defense think too much when trying to get the call and lineup. A simple base is better than a disorganized defense.
To me it means "before" simplification it was X difficult & "after" simplification it was Y difficult.

.... X>Y
;)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

It’s more about having 1 job and just doing that job. The guys have talked about it, not having to worry about your gap but also try to make a play elsewhere. If you take care of your gap others will take care of theirs. When you go fast it’s just easier than reading and reacting which is simpler. So, I think there might not be as many calls etc but I’m not sure that’s what he means by simpler, imo it’s more about not being concerned as a player about so many things. JUST DO YOUR JOB!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
To me simplify simply means players understanding their individual responsibilities better. This can be accomplished in many ways, and it doesn't necessarily mean the overall scheme becomes simpler, less varied, or more predictable. I think CNW's defense is simplified because players have more clear individual responsibilities on a given play and fewer keys to read during the play. I also hope but do not know that the communication aspect of the defense and the checks is clearer. Doing that doesn't really make things less versatile or more predictable.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This has been my experience coaching D and how I see simplifying. Let a good natural D player do his thing. Do not overcoach him on technique if he is getting the desired result.. He should be given his basic responsibilities. He should know how he fits into the overall scheme. And on a given down and he should know what is expected. Get him in shape and turn him loose! D is more about organizing the team effort to cover possibilities whereby O is more about discipline, timing, reps, and moreso on technique.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agree with most to all of the above. I would add (and this is from the player’s interviews) that a lot of it to me is about playing assignment football with an expectation that each position knows their role and executes it without worrying. About the rest of the unit.

The defense (IMHO) under CTR seemed to be too focused on playing and reading the “whole field” not just the ball carrier and their assignment. I’m hoping CNW is teaching the players to focus on their man/gap/responsibility and the ball carrier. That’s it.

It’s akin to our option plays. The ABacks know their route before the snap but need to also react to the QB and where he goes. They do not however break off a different route behind the line of scrimmage based off the OLine, wideouts etc.

It’s not a blind “do your job regardless” instruction but more of a limit on the variables you have to watch and react to inside “doing your job”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know nothing about defense, but my thoughts

I think... and I mean I think CTR required a lot of knowledge about the opposing defense. I think he expected knowing their lineups, their motions, run versus pass, and their routes. The player would have to think through and read as the play developed and then decide what he was suppose to accomplish.

There are a lot of checks depending on what the offense is doing... a lot of if then statements. This requires a lot of memory, film study, and a lot of thinking in the comment. Golden was the best at guessing the play as he was a film study fanatic. I remember Brant stating he was like a "lost ball in tall weeds". I also think that is why new players had great 1st years and declined in proceeding years. 1st year was playing fast as they did not know and following years they think more as they knew more.

2 gap - hold your gap and watch the other gap and read versus beat your gap and go. Now you cannot vacate your gap and over pursue as that will bite you.

I wonder how well Woody will do against screens.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
To me it means less thinking. He wants the defense playing unencumbered by hesitation. Simplicity isn't the goal in and of itself, Simplicity is a means to an end. If you can get the guys playing at top speed and reacting instantly with a complex defense, my guess is he's perfectly fine with that.

This.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Simplify means to make it understandable. A good instructor can even simplify calculus.
I've long said that this is the litmus test to know how well someone understands a subject.

Somebody who really deeply understands something can explain it to anyone, on any level of understanding, from completely unfamiliar, to a graduate student.

if you can explain something so a novice "gets it" at a novice level and an expert gets it at an expert level, you know what you're talking about.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I know nothing about defense, but my thoughts

I think... and I mean I think CTR required a lot of knowledge about the opposing defense. I think he expected knowing their lineups, their motions, run versus pass, and their routes. The player would have to think through and read as the play developed and then decide what he was suppose to accomplish.

There are a lot of checks depending on what the offense is doing... a lot of if then statements. This requires a lot of memory, film study, and a lot of thinking in the comment. Golden was the best at guessing the play as he was a film study fanatic. I remember Brant stating he was like a "lost ball in tall weeds". I also think that is why new players had great 1st years and declined in proceeding years. 1st year was playing fast as they did not know and following years they think more as they knew more.

2 gap - hold your gap and watch the other gap and read versus beat your gap and go. Now you cannot vacate your gap and over pursue as that will bite you.

I wonder how well Woody will do against screens.
From a ol type, I like all your points .

Screens could sometimes be a problem.

But the backside safety blitz could make problems for them as well.

I have a feeling this guy is going to do way more than let his players be aggresive. I think he will make call and take the heat if it's a bust.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
"Simplify the Defense" means that you will no longer see players shifting from the strong side to the weak side of the formation and looking toward the sideline when the ball was snapped. Instead you will see players lined up ready to go as they understand their assignment regardless of which side of the field and formation they are lined up on.

Nothing was more irritating than having to watch DE's and DT's flipping around from left to right when the hurry up offense was at the LOS and ready to snap the football!! Line up and be prepared to play football against the formation that sets up. Essentially, "Simplify" starts with having your personnel all ready in place to attack and turn them loose. Swapping back and forth from left to right with DE's and DT's in a 4 man front while the ball was being snapped gives the offensive line a huge advantage.

"Simplify" means eliminate the confusion and too much thinking, by translating that into: "See ball get ball and cover eligible receivers!"

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's referring to the defense's keys Much like the offense, you use keys to figure out what you are supposed to do presnap. Simple keys means you diagnose the play fast and make a decision and just go hit something.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
How about--"See the ball.Get the ball". Roof's teams did that poorly esp considering he had so much exp last yr.
This DEf probably will be high risk,high reward.Lots of going in a direction fast to get the ball but with much exposure to going in wrong direction fast.