Signalling-In Defensive Plays

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I've probably vented on the performance of our D more than anyone except maybe @33jacket

He and @stylee have made some meaningful comments about both scheme and talent, and I've learned a lot.

So, this may be a stupid question, but is it possible that our defensive signals are getting ripped off either from the sideline or as guys are communicating with each other?

Matt E

GT Athlete
I seriously doubt this is an issue. UNC was simply looking at our alignment and changing the play based on our back end look. We very rarely disguised coverage and the DBs were mostly stationary with the exception of our corners coming up to the line and backing up right before the snap. I'm willing to bet when the saw a safety high on the twins side the checked to that quick pass because we didn't have a good look to combat the play.

We do disguise looks on the line, such as shifting linemen or linebackers in the front 7. I didn't notice any movement to disguise what we were doing in the back end.

I seriously doubt this is an issue. UNC was simply looking at our alignment and changing the play based on our back end look. We very rarely disguised coverage and the DBs were mostly stationary with the exception of our corners coming up to the line and backing up right before the snap. I'm willing to bet when the saw a safety high on the twins side the checked to that quick pass because we didn't have a good look to combat the play.

We do disguise looks on the line, such as shifting linemen or linebackers in the front 7. I didn't notice any movement to disguise what we were doing in the back end.
If we end up playing Auburn or Ole Miss in a bowl, we'll need to get that fixed.

Georgia Tech Fan
The problem was not entirely the scheme, but tackling. I would love to see the stats for yards after initial contact.
I can't count the number of times we missed tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The problem was not entirely the scheme, but tackling. I would love to see the stats for yards after initial contact.
I can't count the number of times we missed tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Completely agree, and of all the D problems we have this is one in which the coaches can affect improvement. It has to be made a point of higher priority in practice drills and PT based on game performance.