Sideline Note: Why does Thacker wear little pieces of white tape around his fingers?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It's so the players can more easily see his fingers when signaling plays from the sidelines.
Perhaps so. Something like two fingers, three fingers, and then one (2-3-1) to denote one type of defensive alignment, or something like that.

I’m just not sure, however, whether he signals only with his fingers. I’ve also seen him use a variety of hand and arm movements and gestures, etc. Maybe a combination of finger-numbers and arm positions?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
We are focusing on the wrong things...
Maybe so . But my original question was serious.

Our defense against Bowling Green continually looked like they were out of position and/or playing in the wrong gaps, etc., which led to the Falcon offense’s fantastic third-down conversion rate.

Was this because of our DC’s overly complex system of signaling his defensive play calls from the sideline, leading to confusion among the players?

Or maybe our defense was simply outmanned.

In any case, I can’t remember ever seeing on TV any other defensive coordinator who wears white tape on his fingers. ??? This was why I asked my question.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe so . But my original question was serious.

Our defense against Bowling Green continually looked like they were out of position and/or playing in the wrong gaps, etc., which led to the Falcon offense’s fantastic third-down conversion rate.

Was this because of our DC’s overly complex system of signaling his defensive play calls from the sideline, leading to confusion among the players?

Or maybe our defense was simply outmanned.

In any case, I can’t remember ever seeing on TV any other defensive coordinator who wears white tape on his fingers. ??? This was why I asked my question.

Most coaches send signals in from the sidelines. Is it overly complex? Maybe, but that has nothing to do with tape on his fingers. If anything, tape on the fingers makes it much easier to see through the crowd. It's why the QB sending in signals is wearing a different colored hat than anyone on the sidelines.

I doubt the signals are too complex. I just think it's poor execution all around. That's on Thacker and Key.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Most coaches send signals in from the sidelines. Is it overly complex? Maybe, but that has nothing to do with tape on his fingers. If anything, tape on the fingers makes it much easier to see through the crowd. It's why the QB sending in signals is wearing a different colored hat than anyone on the sidelines.

I doubt the signals are too complex. I just think it's poor execution all around. That's on Thacker and Key.
I now think you’re right. Also, I now think it’s very likely the tape on his fingers don’t mean anything … perhaps it was just his way of “looking tough” … mostly more of a flashy appearance thing with him, and that doesn’t lead to real substance.