SI Preseason Preview: GT

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't care if this is a re-post or not. The quote below is worth the price of admission alone.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/04/03/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-spring-preview

“There’s always pride,” Johnson says. “We’re stuck in the middle of it, and truthfully, you get tired of hearing about it. It’s a fixed game. You watch the polls this year, in preseason they’ll have 10 teams ranked again. I saw where one of the teams that is ranked in the preseason top 20, we’ve won more SEC games than they have. And we’re in the other league. And then what happens is you get them ranked in the top 10, when they beat each other, they don’t ever fall out.”
That's my coach! :D

Arkansas is like ... :bucktooth:

Last edited:

thwgjacket

I think it'll take another year for the perception to change. If the SEC looks bad in big bowl games and the playoff this year then writers will start to move away from the bandwagon noticeably. Arkansas being ranked is a joke though. They did nothing last year but "play teams close" and beat overrated LSU and Ole Miss.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This little nugget aught to create quite a bit of butt hurt in Pittsburg, Miami, Chapel Hill and Durham:

Johnson says Virginia Tech could be an obstacle and sees the division as a two-team race. “To me, the league goes through Blacksburg or Atlanta, in our division,” he says. “It has every year but one [since I’ve been here]. I don’t see it changing.”

I think it'll take another year for the perception to change. If the SEC looks bad in big bowl games and the playoff this year then writers will start to move away from the bandwagon noticeably. Arkansas being ranked is a joke though. They did nothing last year but "play teams close" and beat overrated LSU and Ole Miss.
Well, that is right, another year this year that is as "ACC rich" as last year was will be a start. But only a start. The finances and the recruiting that the SEC teams enjoy will not allow a recurrence of things such as the SEC West bowl fiasco. Tennessee, Arkansas, and Florida were uncharacteristically down all at once. LSU will re-load. In our league, we will be hard pressed to get a team back to the final four. I know folks are secretly dreaming that the Yellow Jackets are going to fill that role, and it is okay to dream the dream in April. I think it would take a string of four or five 2014's to erode the SEC's brand. With things like pay-for-play on the horizon for the factory programs, the gap in recruiting is not going away anytime soon.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The SEC has stunk it up in major bowls for several years now, and it does nothing to the perception in the media. It's almost like they have a financial relationship with several of those media outlets purporting to cover the conference.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I definitely think it was ridiculous when Arkansas with like 5 or 6 losses made it into the top 25 this past season. That being said, from watching a lot of their games last year I don't think its absurd to have them preseason ranked. They looked better than their record indicated, but it was also against the SEC which was overrated anyway.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I definitely think it was ridiculous when Arkansas with like 5 or 6 losses made it into the top 25 this past season. That being said, from watching a lot of their games last year I don't think its absurd to have them preseason ranked. They looked better than their record indicated, but it was also against the SEC which was overrated anyway.

I'm not sure about that. Arkansas was horrible at the QB position. They would've been a 7-8 win team in the ACC also

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This little nugget aught to create quite a bit of butt hurt in Pittsburg, Miami, Chapel Hill and Durham:

Johnson says Virginia Tech could be an obstacle and sees the division as a two-team race. “To me, the league goes through Blacksburg or Atlanta, in our division,” he says. “It has every year but one [since I’ve been here]. I don’t see it changing.”

I agree that Fluke and Pitt won't be there. But Miami and UNC with their talent can catch fire and win it very easily. I don't think VT will be there unless they have a good QB.......

But it really doesn't matter to me since this is all April crazy talk when everyone is above average and undefeated. I'm just waiting till the ND game to have a good feel on our team.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Reading what he said, the ACC Coastal goes through either VPI or Atlanta is true. This year, it definitely goes through Atlanta. Whomever wins the Coastal will have to knock us off. In the past, it's been EITHER GT or VPI, not necessarily both, pushing for the title and representing in the ACCCG (except for 1 year). I don't think he's saying GT and VPI are the two front runners, but that to will the ACC Coastal, you'll have to topple either GT or VPI in any given year, not necessarily both. Just my take.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
VTs season will go as their OL goes. Their defense will be very solid - probably best in the conference by a decent margin. Serviceable QBs that won't win them games. Good young WRs. Mediocre crop of RBs. But their OL has to improve from one of the worst in the country last year. If they improve, VT could win 9/10 games. If they don't Beamer might not last through another 6/7 win season.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="GTNavyNuke, post: 144673, member: 322"

.................................................. I'm just waiting till the ND game to have a good feel on our team.[/QUOTE]
Me too! That is game that will begin to define our season. Tough team! Tough place to play! But in 2014 VT was a tough gutty win at a tough place to play. We were still finding our way to be a solid team.
Lets hope we can pick up where we left off last year and continue to improve though the first two games and be Mississippi State ready for the Leprechauns.