Shout out to Dontae Smith

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This young man has become one of my all-time favorite Yellow Jackets. He weathered the storm and stuck with the Jackets through two coaching changes when he could easily have gone elsewhere to finish out his career. Yet, he stayed and worked and now we see the fruit of his labors. What a team player! SO happy to see this young man progress from a HS football player with dreams and some potential to a GT grad with even bigger dreams and potential.

Well done, Dontae! Now, go out in style wherever your last game as a Yellow Jacket might take you.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
This young man has become one of my all-time favorite Yellow Jackets. He weathered the storm and stuck with the Jackets through two coaching changes when he could easily have gone elsewhere to finish out his career. Yet, he stayed and worked and now we see the fruit of his labors. What a team player! SO happy to see this young man progress from a HS football player with dreams and some potential to a GT grad with even bigger dreams and potential.

Well done, Dontae! Now, go out in style wherever your last game as a Yellow Jacket might take you.
I feel the same way, glad you started this thread. Typifies a GT student athlete. I love this guy, and Jaylon King as well off this team.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm betting Dontae goes out in style with a great bowl game.

By my calculations, he needs 89 more for 2,000 all-purpose yards in his Tech career:

Last edited:

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Dyland Leonard was a walk on. LOVE his story. Remember, his high school teammate Jordan Yates was the much ballyhooed signee and Leonard had a much better career.

You just never know how it turns out sometimes.
Yep, Dylan needs some love also. He is an amazing young man for all he has accomplished and represents GT well.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Who would have thought that with the likes of Jam Griffin and Jamyr Gibbs recruited on top of him that at this point it would be him that we celebrate? A wonderful story of perseverance - the Tech way.
He is a wonderful story of perseverance. And actually a lot of people on here (and other boards) have really liked Dontae from the first time we all saw him play and didn't most of us expect him to be a big contributor this year?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Dyland Leonard was a walk on. LOVE his story. Remember, his high school teammate Jordan Yates was the much ballyhooed signee and Leonard had a much better career.

You just never know how it turns out sometimes.
Yates would have been great in Johnsons offense.

He also could have been good in an offense of someone with a pulse that knew what to do with him.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Dontae Smith is the type of kid who we as GT alumni need to ensure is set up with a solid job (if he doesn’t play pro football) after graduation. I’ve already seen the discipline, character, teamwork, work-ethic, etc. to know I’d want him on my team.
And loyalty. I believe a young man like this will be successful, but yes, it's always good if someone can help "kickstart" the opportunities.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Dontae Smith is the type of kid who we as GT alumni need to ensure is set up with a solid job (if he doesn’t play pro football) after graduation. I’ve already seen the discipline, character, teamwork, work-ethic, etc. to know I’d want him on my team.
Not sure what his major is, or was, but he has shown the grit and toughness needed to succeed in life. I agree. If he’s not headed to the League then some GT alum should offer the young man a job. You can’t buy what we have already seen in him today.

ETA: Dontae has a BS BA degree. Conferred in December 2022.