Should Winston Have Been Penalized/Ejected For Shoving an Official

GPH

Georgia Tech Fan
Winston has shown past practice of doing what ever the hell he wants regardless of rules and laws. Let's not forget him dressing out for Clemson when he was told not to. Remember that one? Not paying for food from a grocery store. Filling his cup with Coke without paying. He's a POS

In all fairness, Jameis was never told not to dress for the Clemson game. His uniform was in his locker. There's a gif of Jimbo saying "my fault" floating around the internet somewhere. Same thing happened to their receiver Bobo Wilson when he was suspended for the OK State game. Dressed in uniform, stood on the sideline for the whole game. Can't really defend the crab legs thing though.

Declinometer

Banned
In all fairness, Jameis was never told not to dress for the Clemson game. His uniform was in his locker. There's a gif of Jimbo saying "my fault" floating around the internet somewhere. Same thing happened to their receiver Bobo Wilson when he was suspended for the OK State game. Dressed in uniform, stood on the sideline for the whole game. Can't really defend the crab legs thing though.
Cough cough

Declinometer

Banned

Oh...,and he was not dressed in uniform. He had his jersey on.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My understanding of the situation is that when the ref wants to hold play....he stands over the ball (preventing the center from setting) The ref in this case was standing behind the center..and the center was set on the ball....i.e. the ball is live....if he wanted to hold play....he should he should have blown his whistle instead of grabbing the QB.

This^^

If the Ref would have been over the ball and it happened a different story all together.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The logic expressed by some seems to be "if the ref messed up, then Winston was in the right for his actions". That is a non-sequitur. Even if the ref screwed up, that doesn't mean Winston's actions shouldn't be penalized (and does anybody really think that Winston was reasoning that "the ref is in the wrong spot, so therefore it is OK for me to push him out of the way"?).

Quarterbacks should not be able to push officials out of the way even if they believe the official is out of position. As I understand it there is a penalty for such contact and therefore it should have been enforced.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, I always thought putting your hands on the ref in any capacity was grounds for a penalty of some kind. Doesn't matter if the ref was doing the nae-nae in their huddle (although that would be mildly hilarious).

That said, I always see guys tough refs in conversation or w/e and it not be a big deal. This situation didn't appear to be malicious, however, the QB's history of pretty much eschewing authority of any kind makes it more of an issue than it had to be.

IOW, I don't give him the benefit of the doubt of even knowing that the ref was out of position. I think he was just being his old renegade self and it just so happens that the ref happened to be kinda in the wrong too.

Bottom line for me, there probably should be no further penalty but I'm not absolving this guy of blame.