Should we play in the CBI?

Should We play in the CBI

• Total voters

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/03/06/does-tech-have-any-postseason-hopes/

It's an interesting question as we would have to pay to play. I consider it similar to having a bowl game. Post season means extra practice for returning players and maybe a compelling match-up we rarely get to see. Texas played in it last year, I'd like to see us play a team like that for S's & G's. Obviously more reps for a team like this will help, and obviously I'd love for us to run the table and win the ACC tourney to backdoor into the NCAA tourney. I doubt that will happen and the NIT probably won't have us so It's CBI or practicing free throws at home in March (FT's may not be a bad use of time also...)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'll go the other way with it. We lose so much from the current team that I'm not sure the extra practice, as we're currently constituted, actually will help for next year.

That said, I'd watch every game and root for us to win it all. I'm probably a GT hoops junkie. First step is admitting you have a problem. (y)

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
We have been playing shorthanded all season. Players are worn out. Playing just for the practice would probably be a waste to time and money.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I'll go the other way with it. We lose so much from the current team that I'm not sure the extra practice, as we're currently constituted, actually will help for next year.

That said, I'd watch every game and root for us to win it all. I'm probably a GT hoops junkie. First step is admitting you have a problem. (y)
I guess I should have started with the caveat that in my mind more basketball is better than less basketball IMO no matter how bad we are :D. I really couldn't care less about other teams except when they take players we recruit or beat us. For that reason the whole "March Madness" thing has become "March Clean up the DVR" in my household since 2009.

I think Heyward, Bolden, MGH, Stephens, and Carter could use as much time as they can get together. Miller could use the games to pad his stats so he gets drafted. Those first 5 guys could absolutely deal with some more practice. Bolden needs to spend his summer at Mark Price's house reconstructing his jumpshot...

Omahajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
So it is 16 teams, 8 of which host. Does the CBI committee rank the teams 1-16 and offer the top 8 the opportunity to host and sign the agreement? Seems to me that money shouldn't affect the decision making. If the team as a whole wants to, then I think they definitely ought to. There are two risks in my opinion, one was mentioned in the AJC article, losing to a no-name school. If the team wants to play, I do not see them losing to a "bad" team. If in fact that were the case, the CBI results is definitely something you take with a grain of salt anyways. The second risk would be injury. This is the only reason why I would not want to participate in this tournament. So, aside from the money and risks, I think we should compete in it and if we do I would be shocked if we didn't go 5-0

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm always up for more GT hoops, but I think we should pass on the CBI. These players are just too banged up. MGH - hip, Bolden - ankle, Trae - groin, Kam - knee, Robert - knee. Let's get them some rest already, especially before the seniors need to prep for various pro tryouts. We may not end up with any of these seniors in the NBA, but they can all go on to make a living playing pro ball. McHenry is big in Japan, for instance.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anyone who voted yes is a masochist. {Not a personal judgement you understand but a reflection on the probable mindset of one who must like pain and suffering.}

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think it's a question of trajectory. If I felt we were playing our way into competitive rung of the ACC I might feel differently, but unless we win 3 more games, I say no. I don't want to play post season being under .500 in both conference and overall.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn't mind it. More practices for building to future. With Carter back we look good again and it would be nice to win the CBI if we go that route.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Only costs. No real upside. If you win you dont brag about it.

Hey, we won the postseason tourny!! "ACC?" no. "NCAA?" No. "NIT?" no.

?

No the other one that really nobody knows about.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
No point in playing in a post season tournament with a bunch of seniors that are graduating after the season. They are a HUGE portion of our team and stats. If Jorg was coming back or we had an early enrollee situation like Solo and we could build towards next year... That may be worth it. We just need to play well in the ACCT and grab as many Ws as we can and hope for something good to come out of it.

gtdrew

Banned
I think our young guys need the practice. More practice is always more beneficial than less practice. I almost wouldn't even want them to devote much time to learning the other team's systems. Just practice what you do and then have fun come game time.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think our young guys need the practice. More practice is always more beneficial than less practice. I almost wouldn't even want them to devote much time to learning the other team's systems. Just practice what you do and then have fun come game time.

Creates more opportunity for injury, detracts from time spent on school work & getting healthy, and takes time away from our SRs prepping for potential pro careers, which before you scoff at the notion that all 4 seniors have a crack at a pro career, take a look at how many of our players from the early 2000s to now are still active somewhere.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/pros.html

Another thing to keep in mind, we've got to pay for CBI games. If we're honest with ourselves, do we really need to spend the money on games where we know we won't sell the tickets?

Selfishly, I'd love to see us keep playing because I love watching GT hoops, but if we're honest in our analysis of the costs & benefits, playing in the CBI is unlikely to be worth it.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes.

Would you guys to go a bowl game in San Fran against a "nobody" opponent with a lot of seniors on the squad? Yes, is the correct answer.

If I'm Gregory, you are darn right I want more practices and games with my team. He can always direct practice time to the guys who will be hanging around.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So have we announced if we'll be playing in this tourney or not? I've seen where Wake and maybe Miami could be playing.