Should Hall Retire? (Poll)

Should Hall retire?

• Yes, when he is ready.

Votes: 21 16.9%
  • Yes, he should be retired at the end of the season.

Votes: 91 73.4%
  • No, he should be fired.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • No, baseball at GT doesn't matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, not as long as he has the support of past MLB players who contribute a lot.

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
FYI, Ramsey is a master of the portal.
KC is also draft eligible this year....
Yeah, I was hoping to get another year out of Campbell, but he's played his way into a decent pick.

I figure we'll hit the portal pretty hard. It could also depend on which FR make it to campus. Hoping only Burress and Anderson are taken high enough.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What little doubt there was, was answered today.

You got my hopes up. Then I saw it was only the 1-15 scrimmage we gave UVa for their practice session.

Close the door on a season with limited success.

Whoever is coach next year has a lot of positional and attitudinal challenges. Transfers and draft will be interesting.

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
You got my hopes up. Then I saw it was only the 1-15 scrimmage we gave UVa for their practice session.

Close the door on a season with limited success.

Whoever is coach next year has a lot of positional and attitudinal challenges. Transfers and draft will be interesting.
Clean house

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
Based on guys on this site, next year will not be experienced and will have to be built with transfers. Normally teams start building in the year before they are really good. Didn't happen this year.
Yup, looking up the 22’s they have a lot of talent. Unfortunately Hall didn't work them in outside of the first 15 games or so. We had plenty of opportunities to get them some innings. The problem with transfers is finding the right defensive fit. Despigna was not an outfielder. He played 1B for 4 years. He misread a lot of balls. Got to help our pitchers out next year with a solid defense

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yup, looking up the 22’s they have a lot of talent. Unfortunately Hall didn't work them in outside of the first 15 games or so. We had plenty of opportunities to get them some innings. The problem with transfers is finding the right defensive fit. Despigna was not an outfielder. He played 1B for 4 years. He misread a lot of balls. Got to help our pitchers out next year with a solid defense
You have a problem with where & how Dispigna was used? He was one of our best players on an offense that was elite.

There was only one problem with this year's team. Pitching.

Defense was adequate.

The team was in "win or go home" mode for the last month... up until the very end. Needed a lineup that could score to overcome the pitching.

You can only play 9 at a time. Those younger guys have summer ball & the fall ahead of them. Until proven otherwise... I have no concern about the starting 8 come opening day.

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
You have a problem with where & how Dispigna was used? He was one of our best players on an offense that was elite.

There was only one problem with this year's team. Pitching.

Defense was adequate.

The team was in "win or go home" mode for the last month... up until the very end. Needed a lineup that could score to overcome the pitching.

You can only play 9 at a time. Those younger guys have summer ball & the fall ahead of them. Until proven otherwise... I have no concern about the starting 8 come opening day.
Defense ranked similar to pitching, so no I don’t think we were good. And I did not say anything about him offensively that I recall.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Defense ranked similar to pitching, so no I don’t think we were good. And I did not say anything about him offensively that I recall.
You called out Dispigna, who I thought did an admirable job in Left. I would rank him second on the team as a combination of offense and defense behind Deleo, tied with Campbell. He was definitely a positive addition to our team. This one is not on my CDH list.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We have capable players who’ve mostly sat on the bench behind other good players like Minnick, Senese, etc. We’ve got a pitching staff riddled with injuries and a healthy year for all of them returning would be greatly welcomed. Who knows who’s transferring in but we seem to get 2-3 immediate contributors.

Despite all the angst around Hall, he is a very good coach. Is he phenomenal, great, etc I don’t think you can say that because he’s not won consistently at the level most of us feel the talent on the Flats warrants. That being said, he’s still a pretty good coach.

My concern is there’s an enormous amount of pressure to get results and it’s real unclear how that is able to happen quickly regardless of any change we could possibly make. We’re at the proverbial 2 year away point and not closing the gap. GT is not alone in this regard, it’s just our program and frankly I don’t care about the others.

Batt says Danny’s his guy and I trust he made a good decision for us here.

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
You called out Dispigna, who I thought did an admirable job in Left. I would rank him second on the team as a combination of offense and defense behind Deleo, tied with Campbell. He was definitely a positive addition to our team. This one is not on my CDH list.
13th in pitching/12th in fielding. If you don’t think a good/bad defense can change the outcome of a game for a pitcher then not sure what to tell you. Mental errors are not recorded and we had plenty of those. I don’t disagree that Dispigna was a huge part of this team. All I am saying is he is not an outfielder

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
13th in pitching/12th in fielding. If you don’t think a good/bad defense can change the outcome of a game for a pitcher then not sure what to tell you. Mental errors are not recorded and we had plenty of those. I don’t disagree that Dispigna was a huge part of this team. All I am saying is he is not an outfielder
I understand where you're coming from. I guess I just disagree about who "should have" been playing under the circumstances with this year's team.

The defender & batter are the same guy. Given our pitching issues, it's mandatory you figure out a way to put best bats at each position in lineup every game. No brainer to me.

Any diminished defensive "state" that results (debatable if that's even the case) isn't enough to justify sitting any of the guys who got most of the PT.

Specific to Dispigna, I give even more credit to the coaching staff. It appeared they recognized the need to have him in the lineup (with others at 1B) as soon as he got to the team & began working him in the outfield.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hall has been trying to fix pitching for 15 years. I don't think anything has changed, nor is there more pressure.

Maybe we'll get better, maybe stay at the bottom pitching wise.

I just hope there is a lot of NIL money for recruits and holding players here.

I think Hall is still here because of our MLB alum and they fund baseball which is largely a non-revenue sport which has low attendance.

Last edited:

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
Hall has been trying to fix pitching for 15 years. I don't think anything has changed, nor is there more pressure.

It's interesting that we never seem to have gotten over losing Miranda to WCU, way back in 2007.

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
I understand where you're coming from. I guess I just disagree about who "should have" been playing under the circumstances with this year's team.

The defender & batter are the same guy. Given our pitching issues, it's mandatory you figure out a way to put best bats at each position in lineup every game. No brainer to me.

Any diminished defensive "state" that results (debatable if that's even the case) isn't enough to justify sitting any of the guys who got most of the PT.

Specific to Dispigna, I give even more credit to the coaching staff. It appeared they recognized the need to have him in the lineup (with others at 1B) as soon as he got to the team & began working him in the outfield.
You are right, I don’t disagree. I just see a correlation in teams with good pitching have better than average fielding. Defense wins games which includes a good pitching/fielding mix. As we have seen for many years, we can’t out hit those components. And to credit for Dispigna he did improve as the year went on. Not an easy position/situation for him so I do give him respect

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Despite all the angst around Hall, he is a very good coach.

This may have been true once. It's hard to make that argument now.

In the past 10 seasons, he is 316-230 (.579) overall, and 135-145 (.482) in the ACC. That's decidedly average. If you compare past-decade Danny to the other current head coaches in the ACC, he is in the bottom half of conference records.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting that we never seem to have gotten over losing Miranda to WCU, way back in 2007.
Correct spelling is Moranda.

Bobby Moranda served as an assistant baseball coach at GT from 2001-2007. Then he left to take on the head baseball coaching job at Western Carolina University, a position he held for 15 years until his retirement last year (2022). His record at WCU was 401-386-1.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

In the past 10 seasons, he is 316-230 (.579) overall, and 135-145 (.482) in the ACC. That's decidedly average. If you compare past-decade Danny to the other current head coaches in the ACC, he is in the bottom half of conference records.

Yea I think very good has differing standards with some posters. We are under .500 in ACC *9 out of 11 seasons*. 9 of 11. I don’t think many programs would have let that go that long. Definitely not my standard of very good. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

And if you compare the quality of our talent to our opponents talent or SoS, we should have done a lot better.

But next year will be different. (tic)

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And if you compare the quality of our talent to our opponents talent or SoS, we should have done a lot better.

But next year will be different. (tic)
Yeah, the coach at the bottom is BC. If a BC baseball coach ever managed a .482 ACC record over 10 years, he would be canonized. By the pope. Personally.

Of course, BC’s coach has also managed to make a super regional more recently than we have.

Abama

Georgia Tech Fan

I think Hall is still here because of our MLB alum and they fund baseball which is largely a non-revenue sport which has low attendance.
Better marketing would improve attendance and increase revenue.