Should aj Grey move to linebacker?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
the packers moved Burnett from safety to linebacker and it's seemed to solve their lb issues.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...-burnett-boosts-packers-ilb-outlook/95428868/

Grey seems like a perfect candidate for the same. He's a big hitter, quick and fast, and he wouldn't need to add weight (or much weight as he's a big guy). I hope we're looking at making moves to upgrade our lbs, we've got good depth in the secondary.

I think the question would be, since you're vastly weakening your secondary, who'd you put in his place? I'm sure the Packers talent dropoff from 42 wasn't as stark as ours could be.

IOW don't turn a strength to a weakness.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
the packers moved Burnett from safety to linebacker and it's seemed to solve their lb issues.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...-burnett-boosts-packers-ilb-outlook/95428868/

Grey seems like a perfect candidate for the same. He's a big hitter, quick and fast, and he wouldn't need to add weight (or much weight as he's a big guy). I hope we're looking at making moves to upgrade our lbs, we've got good depth in the secondary.

Very often in the 4-2 the nickel is one one side and the run support safety on the other. What if you just aligned them opposite in that set and left him at his normal safety in the other alignments?? This might put him in better run support more often without upsetting much else. I doubt CPJ will move him to LB.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the question would be, since you're vastly weakening your secondary, who'd you put in his place? I'm sure the Packers talent dropoff from 42 wasn't as stark as ours could be.

IOW don't turn a strength to a weakness.

Secondary is good now, loses no one next year, and the incoming class (at secondary) is the most talented weve had in awhile.

Whereas the lb unit is currently our weakest unit, best one is graduating, and we have one guy oncoming who could make a difference.

I guess my point is moving Grey doesn't make our secondary a "weakness", as there are some players back there. Whereas the lb unit needs all the help we can get next year. It's the whole "put your best 11 on the field" thing...

But yea, maybe not..just thought it was interesting considering our former s made the move in the NFL.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd like to see him play more SS/LB hybrid if we move to more of a 4-2-5 base. Be closer to the LOS but also have some ability to cover or do other things...

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The Falcons did that with a DB this year too. Can't remember which one. Seemed to go ok...

Ishmail.
The article indicates that while he's a "hybrid", he's definitely playing a more LB role recently like deone buccanon (college, former safety) with the cardinals.

This suggest its just matchup other than overall change of position:

But the Packers can mix and match. So against teams that run well — 2016 opponents Dallas, Tennessee and Minnesota immediately come to mind — Burnett would play mostly safety. Same for obvious running downs and against run-oriented personnel regardless of opponent. Ryan, Martinez (when healthy) and Joe Thomas could share the inside linebacker duties in those instances. Ryan and Martinez play the run about equally; Thomas is more coverage-oriented.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Ishmail.

This suggest its just matchup other than overall change of position:

Keanu Neal is also a lb/hybrid

Also, not going to argue with you about football, god knows you've forgotten more than I know. However there is a theme in the NFL moving your run stopping safeties closer to the line of scrimmage in lieu of signing a full lb corp. If it looks like a linebacker, hits like a linebacker, etc etc