Short Yardage Situations

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
We have not been as good in short yardage situations since Nesbitt left, it would seem. Back then, 4th and short was just about a guarantee, because if there wasn't a hole he would run over somebody or squirm through for 2 or 3 yards. Tevin and Vad didn't have that type of mentality, and Justin is just too small to do that. JT is awesome in space, but most of the time there's very little space when we run the QB follow.

Why not let Byerly run the offense inside of the 5 and in 4th and short situations? He clearly has the desire and ability to run with power, and can run the offense as well. We did this some early in the season, but when JT came on strong, we stopped it. I think it might be the best thing for the team, and could help JT avoid some hits as well.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We have not been as good in short yardage situations since Nesbitt left, it would seem. Back then, 4th and short was just about a guarantee, because if there wasn't a hole he would run over somebody or squirm through for 2 or 3 yards. Tevin and Vad didn't have that type of mentality, and Justin is just too small to do that. JT is awesome in space, but most of the time there's very little space when we run the QB follow.

Why not let Byerly run the offense inside of the 5 and in 4th and short situations? He clearly has the desire and ability to run with power, and can run the offense as well. We did this some early in the season, but when JT came on strong, we stopped it. I think it might be the best thing for the team, and could help JT avoid some hits as well.

I haven't noticed us not doing well in short yardage this season, or at anytime under CPJ. Tevin set an ACC record for TDs by a QB. And it wasn't because he was breaking off a bunch of long ones.

So, I type the above and then go try to find some stats. I got some situational stats from cfbstats.com.
I looked at 3rd and short on the linked site.
Season-1st downs/Rushes-% success
2014 14/25 56.0%
2013 47/66 71.2%
2012 44/63 69.8%
2011 42/59 71.2%
2010 31/52 59.6%
2009 45/67 67.2%
2008 20/37 54.1%

So maybe we aren't as successful this season in short yardage as I thought. But Nesbitt & Dwyer didn't grade out as well as I would've thought either.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I haven't noticed us not doing well in short yardage this season, or at anytime under CPJ. Tevin set an ACC record for TDs by a QB. And it wasn't because he was breaking off a bunch of long ones.

So, I type the above and then go try to find some stats. I got some situational stats from cfbstats.com.
I looked at 3rd and short on the linked site.
Season-1st downs/Rushes-% success
2014 14/25 56.0%
2013 47/66 71.2%
2012 44/63 69.8%
2011 42/59 71.2%
2010 31/52 59.6%
2009 45/67 67.2%
2008 20/37 54.1%

So maybe we aren't as successful this season in short yardage as I thought. But Nesbitt & Dwyer didn't grade out as well as I would've thought either.

Yeah, it seems to me that some will continue to just lump Tevin in as an unsuccessful QB in every category because of final W-L records rather than looking at what he actually did.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tevin doesn't hold the record for TD runs for no reason. He was pretty good at finding the EZ himself. No he won't as physical as JN, but he was real good at finding a crease. Look at the numbers. I could have told you before they were even posted that he would have been ahead of the others. That said, I like both our guys right now in that situation, for different reasons. JT can stretch you, even at the goal line, and TB can push you back.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think we have the best talent at QB that we have had in over 10 years. I liked Josh and Tevin, but IMO we have something special at both the #1 and #2 spots. I know JT did not have his best game last week, and I think he would be the first to admit that. TB came in cold and did some really impressive things. JT will continue to grow, and I think he may set a few records while he does it.

If there is one position that has quality depth, it is the QB position.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually this analysis is a bit like penalties. Its not just the penalty its the timing of. For instance a mid drive 3rd down conversion not in crunch time where an multiple of plays can be called is one type of conversion....typicaly forgotten. Then its the other type. 3rd and short on the goaline where u need it. Or 4th and short last drive where u need it. And we all remember these. And who got them. And how. And none of us would choose anyone but josh in that moment depsite the statistic.

That is why these things are not numbers. Its more than that. Its why you play for one. But two there is no other guy i would want with the ball than josh and the way paul talked about him in preseason....he probably feels that way too

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't mind TB in short yardage situations. He has proven himself there. And s capable of running our complete selection of plays down there from what I've seen.