Shawn Jones Voted into GA Sports Hall of Fame

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I’d agree with this statement. Lots of old timers on here. Shawn was a class or two behind me. Got to see every home game he ever played on the flats and many away.
Gee, I go all the way back to Billy Lothridge. I’m now an “old timer.” Gosh! LOL

But … I’m forever young a Georgia Tech fan.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I want to have a beer with Ralph Friedgen one day. At the very top of the list of questions is this - Shawn or Joe? I go back and forth on this one myself and have never been able to settle it in my mind. Second question - did the fact that Shawn played with a great D and Joe didn't alter your game planning and/or in game strategy in any fashion? If I can set this meeting up, I will invite everyone here but understand it will be separate tabs for y'all. I will get Ralph's beers.
Buying his beers ok maybe not his dinner.;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shawn Jones is a huge reason why I'm a GT fan today (along with Kenny Anderson). I'm surprised Jones isn't in the GA Sports HOF already TBH. There's a reason why I chose him as my avatar.

Jones was before his time. A lot of football fans in this day and age forget that if a college QB could run for positive yardage, they were automatically labeled an "athletic QB". Jones was one of those QBs, and no one in the NFL gave him a shot at QB. Tony Dungy once said on TV that one of the best QB prospects he saw but was never given a chance at QB in the NFL was Shawn Jones. The Vikings tried him out at DB even though he never played a snap of DB for GT.

Jones would have thrived in this era of spread offenses and the premium they put on dual threat QBs.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Four years of Dodd when I was in school. Hard to compare that talent with later ( Shawn era) . Punting on 3rd down!!
That was back when the OL couldn't grab the DL jersey on every play so defense was not as disadvantaged then. Fans didn't like him punting on third down when I was in school and Dodd was booed a few times for doing it in the sixties. He was a proponent of field position. The coffin corner kick is a thing of the past.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Shawn Jones is a huge reason why I'm a GT fan today (along with Kenny Anderson). I'm surprised Jones isn't in the GA Sports HOF already TBH. There's a reason why I chose him as my avatar.

Jones was before his time. A lot of football fans in this day and age forget that if a college QB could run for positive yardage, they were automatically labeled an "athletic QB". Jones was one of those QBs, and no one in the NFL gave him a shot at QB. Tony Dungy once said on TV that one of the best QB prospects he saw but was never given a chance at QB in the NFL was Shawn Jones. The Vikings tried him out at DB even though he never played a snap of DB for GT.

Jones would have thrived in this era of spread offenses and the premium they put on dual threat QBs.
At one of Shawn’s high school games, I overheard a couple of men that I assumed were small college coaches talking about how they couldn’t believe how many of the major colleges wanted him to switch to DB.