Shaquille Mason

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
There was also a mention of Tuitt (guess he's on the steelers) and I was dreaming of what could've been if we had gotten Tuitt and flowers.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I've always heard that Belichick and CPJ are admirers of each other and have a casual friendship. Anyone know?
Don't know their relationship, but when Johnson took the job at Tech the Annapolis paper had a piece about Belichick spending an entire afternoon closeted in Navy's film room, analyzing the offense As I recall his father was at Navy, either visiting or actually coaching -- don't know anything about him - and Johnson was supposed to have asked him what he thought his son was doing, in there so long. "He's trying to figure out how to beat your offense," the father said. Maybe another reason New England is always so dominant. The read option and what not was no mystery to him by the time it hit the NFL. Also gathered, however, that Belichick never quite got it solved.

reubenjet

Jolly Good Fellow
[QUOTE="ATL1, post: 174957, member: 26 Happy for the dude. Too bad he plays for a dirty cheating a&$ team.[/QUOTE]
That statement seems a little "knee-jerk" to me. Winners will always get this criticism. It's similar to how people react to our "cut blocks". Folks need to accept the fact they got their a$$es handed to them and move on. Don't get salty, get over it!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That statement seems a little "knee-jerk" to me. Winners will always get this criticism. It's similar to how people react to our "cut blocks". Folks need to accept the fact they got their a$$es handed to them and move on. Don't get salty, get over it!

No. All teams that win, even those that win consistently, don't necessarily get accused of overt cheating. They get accused of getting preferential treatment, not outright cheating.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="ATL1, post: 174957, member: 26 Happy for the dude. Too bad he plays for a dirty cheating a&$ team.
That statement seems a little "knee-jerk" to me. Winners will always get this criticism. It's similar to how people react to our "cut blocks". Folks need to accept the fact they got their a$$es handed to them and move on. Don't get salty, get over it![/QUOTE]
This is one of the reasons I no longer spend a lot of time on opposing teams web sites. I got tired of reading how Tech was the dirtiest team in college ball and CPJ was the biggest cheater. Of course, some of what they said about CPJ is unrepeatable.

So yeah, people will shoot their mouths off based on public perceptions and very little real information.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Sleaziest?

In a Clinton sort of way, as opposed to a Kardashian sort of way. I grant you that Rex Ryan is a sleaze machine, but in the juvenile sense of the word. New England can't do anything honestly. And, what's worse, their fans have an "us against everyone complex" that I imagine is inherent to the region as a whole. No one is out to get them, and if Belichick would stop pulling petty shenanigans that are clearly not in good faith, no one would really care.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck

This is one of the reasons I no longer spend a lot of time on opposing teams web sites. I got tired of reading how Tech was the dirtiest team in college ball and CPJ was the biggest cheater. Of course said:
Every NE person I know always defaults to "you don't have all the facts." I'm an attorney, chief; any time that's offered up instead of the facts I don't know, well, it means the other side is in desperation mode.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Don't know their relationship, but when Johnson took the job at Tech the Annapolis paper had a piece about Belichick spending an entire afternoon closeted in Navy's film room, analyzing the offense As I recall his father was at Navy, either visiting or actually coaching -- don't know anything about him - and Johnson was supposed to have asked him what he thought his son was doing, in there so long. "He's trying to figure out how to beat your offense," the father said. Maybe another reason New England is always so dominant. The read option and what not was no mystery to him by the time it hit the NFL. Also gathered, however, that Belichick never quite got it solved.
I remember reading that CPJ spent time helping his coaching staff understand option football. CPJ apparently got a reputation for being a good teacher because he was later asked to spend time with the Falcons coaching staff doing the same thing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In a Clinton sort of way, as opposed to a Kardashian sort of way.
Now I have no idea what you mean. Unless you know something I don't know, I don't believe the New England coaching staff has been engaging in lots of extra marital affairs.

If you are just saying you don't like Bill Clinton either then you have offered no illumination, just heat.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Now I have no idea what you mean. Unless you know something I don't know, I don't believe the New England coaching staff has been engaging in lots of extra marital affairs.

If you are just saying you don't like Bill Clinton either then you have offered no illumination, just heat.

I mean the kind of sense that there was always something funny going on; the email thing with Hilary is just another part of the glad-handed politician schtick. I actually don't think ill of Bill, it's just he's certainly not Mr. Smith goes to Washington.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Go to any ESPN article about the Pats; their fans turn out in droves to talk about how everyone is out to skewer them just for winning.

That's patently untrue.
Just not my experience.
Six years ago I moved up here from Georgia, where I was born and bread and spent most of my life. I discovered that New England fans are pretty much like fans everywhere, highly partisan and prone to see things from a fans point of view. To be honest they did not sound nearly as irrational as many uga fans I grew up around who thought every penalty that went against them in a game called for an investigation by the state. Yes, that's hyperbole, but not much.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Just not my experience.
Six years ago I moved up here from Georgia, where I was born and bread and spent most of my life. I discovered that New England fans are pretty much like fans everywhere, highly partisan and prone to see things from a fans point of view. To be honest they did not sound nearly as irrational as many uga fans I grew up around who thought every penalty that went against them in a game called for an investigation by the state. Yes, that's hyperbole, but not much.

Fair enough. My observations come from the fact that when things like the Falcons crowd noise breaks, there aren't legions of fans blaming everything from obscure mathematical theories to the Nixon tapes for why everyone is out to get them. If ESPN writes a piece about how Boston has bad winter weather, a veritable legion of New Englanders is up in arms.

I finally tired of it after a few years and have spent much of the last day trolling the living fire out of them. It's highly entertaining.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I mean the kind of sense that there was always something funny going on; the email thing with Hilary is just another part of the glad-handed politician schtick. I actually don't think ill of Bill, it's just he's certainly not Mr. Smith goes to Washington.
O.K., so it is appearance. I get that. But that kind of makes my point. The Clintons have been investigated more than any other politicians in history and it usually comes down to there being no "there" there. Regardless of how much I may not like the Clintons, or Belichick or any other public persona I try not to extrapolate from that the notion that they are somehow more evil. People do that with CPJ all the time and I find it ridiculous.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
O.K., so it is appearance. I get that. But that kind of makes my point. The Clintons have been investigated more than any other politicians in history and it usually comes down to there being no "there" there. Regardless of how much I may not like the Clintons, or Belichick or any other public persona I try not to extrapolate from that the notion that they are somehow more evil. People do that with CPJ all the time and I find it ridiculous.

Evil is too strong a word. It's just that they're no icon of integrity; not that anyone is, but Tony Dungy among others seems a truly decent fellow. Belichick is a great coach who is deeply insecure - it's the petty cheating that the OTL piece covers that makes it unpalatable. If you are already the best, why be petty? Magnanimity is not a modern virtue, but it's still nice when we see it.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I have 4 business friends from the Boston area. When we have a national meeting and dress is casual, most of them invariably wear Patriot/Red Sox paraphernalia. Sometimes they get together to talk about what they will collectively wear. No one else in our company does that. Our VP of sales started his conference call today pontificating about the Patriot win. Formerly I liked them but because of the cheating scandal and the afore-mentioned fans, I hope all their teams lose every game...while Shaq makes All-Pro.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I have 4 business friends from the Boston area. When we have a national meeting and dress is casual, most of them invariably wear Patriot/Red Sox paraphernalia. Sometimes they get together to talk about what they will collectively wear. No one else in our company does that. Our VP of sales started his conference call today pontificating about the Patriot win. Formerly I liked them but because of the cheating scandal and the afore-mentioned fans, I hope all their teams lose every game...while Shaq makes All-Pro.

It looks like a cult from the outside. NE is really probably the most homogenous segment of America in terms of values and culutre; it's a shame that such a small area in terms of geography and population has 12 of our 100 Senate positions. That's undue influence, but hindsight to the Constitutional Convention is 20/20.