Shake Up the D Line

DenverJacket56

Georgia Tech Fan
Just a thought, but I would like to see Gostis line up at DE. I know we are short on DT's, but we need a game changer and I think he could be that. Gostis looks to be a really good athlete and let's be honest, he doesn't have the girth to play low. Why can't Gostis be a JJ Watt type player?
What are your thoughts?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Man thinking about it this morning. Kitchens was developing into solid DT, and Akins and Commisiong were promising young players. Robbins was at the very least a big mature body. JHD would be a definite upgrade.

This is like going on probation but just focused on the DL. Effects will last several seasons too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just a thought, but I would like to see Gostis line up at DE. I know we are short on DT's, but we need a game changer and I think he could be that. Gostis looks to be a really good athlete and let's be honest, he doesn't have the girth to play low. Why can't Gostis be a JJ Watt type player?
What are your thoughts?

What a lot of defenses are doing these days is moving their best pass rushers around the line to create favorable matchups based on the situation. Your example of JJ Watt is spot on. Was watching him play against the Steelers last week, and they moved him to every spot along the DL. Same thing with Robert Nkemdiche at Ole Miss, and what USCe did with Jadaveon Clowney. Just like our offense, we need to put our playmakers in position to make plays.

I think on obvious passing downs...those 3rd and long we always seem to get burned on when we can't create pressure, we need to move Gotsis to the outside so he's 1v1 with the OT, versus getting neutralized in the middle. I'd rather us occupy a blocker up the middle with Gamble/Green/whoever, have Gotsis rush from the outside, and bring a blitzing LB down the middle or from the edge. I'll take Gotsis 1v1 with anyone, and create another "pressure spot" from a blitzing defender. Our defense was still pretty bad yesterday (when not forcing turnovers), but things looked A LOT better when we brought pressure. Gotsis looked really good at DE the times he was able to play there. He didn't always make the play, but he brought pressure and collapsed his side of the pocket.

DenverJacket56

Georgia Tech Fan
Techster, I totally agree. I could be wrong, but I don't think Gostis ever lined at DE but twisted with the DE to come from the outside. I thought he looked really good and is athletic enough to provide a pass rush while holding the edge on runs. We need to get creative on Defense for the 2nd half of the season. If not, we will get smoked by the bigger oline teams like Clemson & UGA.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
if JHD and Kallon can hold down the fort at DT, and you could slide Gotsis out to DE and have Whitehead on the other side. That could be a pretty formiddable line.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I am in the minority, but I think our problem is more secondary than DL. We absolutely can't cover a soul. Watch the replay. Snap, pass, completion. Repeat.