Shaka Smart

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Article from yesterday.
Not sure I understand what the Hawks/PJ Hairston have to do with that though.

Just saying (Hoping) that the Hawks would draft PJ in the up coming NBA draft. His game translates well into the NBA and would fill a huge need in athleticism and explosiveness.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not mad at that. He hit a plateau at UCLA but I liked how he recruited, he had offensive issues but they were no where near as bad as what's going on at GT right now. I wonder how much he'd want.
Howland's approach & demeanor are what did him in. Offense had nothing to do with it, because his defense won its share of games.

http://www.theshadowleague.com/arti...me-and-the-young-heads-are-leaving-him-behind

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just saying (Hoping) that the Hawks would draft PJ in the up coming NBA draft. His game translates well into the NBA and would fill a huge need in athleticism and explosiveness.
Are we talking about Clemson star, KJ McDaniels, or UNC castoff, PJ Hairston. I'm confused.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I liked what he did at UCLA don't have to sell me.
Tadric Jackson apparently had a great performance last night and he is committed to GT.
JB and him would look good on the court together, but I have no clue what Gregory is doing on offense. Just a complete lack of identity.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Those articles on Ben Howland are meant to sell you on him not ever coming to GT. That program was in disarray because he was a hard a**, but recruited kids who didn't take to that mentality. Ended up with results below expectations, lots of attrition, and internal strife.

I think Atlanta fosters an atmosphere that requires a players' coach.

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
Craig's son plays at New Mexico now too and is doing well for a freshman. Doubt Craig leaves anytime soon.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think we ever offered. I've heard he was looking for a pay day we couldn't offer to begin with.
Interesting. Isn't CBG getting $1 mil plus incentives per year? Greg Marshall is getting 1.2 per year from Wichita State.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Coach I don't want and I know one person that may not agree with me... Ben Howland.

Haha. I do like Howland. I do however believe that to be unlikely.

My wish list outside of BH would be:

1-Gregg Marshall-Wichita State-This is becoming more unlikely by the moment though. Unless we have an opening after this season he is either going to sign a long term deal at Wichita State or make the move to a program who can throw some dollars at him. Im not sure who that would be after this season though. Any names of schools I would suggest would be purely speculative. I expect Marshall to get a big raise and a long term deal at Wichita State.

2-Chris Mack-Xavier-This should be a slam dunk (pun intended) given the fact that Bobinski hired him to replace Sean Miller at Xavier. I like this guy alot and he is going to be a hot commodity.

3-Mike White-Louisiana Tech-I knew nothing of this guy until recently and he quickly found his way onto my list. Young, likes the uptempo game with in your face defense, surely to make McCamish rock.

4-Mike Rhoades-VCU Assistant-Architect of the "Havoc". VCU was prepared to lose him after LAST season to a HC gig and he is still there. Likely wont be by the time people realize what I knew the day of our most recent hire.

5-Darkhorse-(Also Unlikely)-Bob Huffman-Mercer-Has put it together at Mercer the last 3 years winning 72 games. They put up 80ppg and the guy is already in the state of GA and I would imagine (speculating) he has inroads to recruits. However upon mentioning it to DTM a couple weeks back he brought up that it may be wise for him to make one more step before getting an ACC gig and I would agree.

Biggest thing is, you have to make the next one count. You cannot afford to swing and miss again. The fan base is really not happy. And please, the money is not the biggest factor. Tony Bennett makes $1.7M a year and just won the ACC regular season title.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting. Isn't CBG getting $1 mil plus incentives per year? Greg Marshall is getting 1.2 per year from Wichita State.
Not sure what CBG is getting this year. If he's getting $1MM, I think that's max. I thought the extension year was the $1MM salary year.

If Marshall is getting $1.2MM now, I think he was looking for $1.5MM+ last go around and we weren't swinging that. I'm also guessing he's going to be looking for $2MM-$3MM next go around and the 3 potential ACC openings (Wake, VT, BC, & not us) aren't likely to splash that. Of 2 potential SEC openings (Bama & Auburn), Bama could & maybe would splash that cash on hoops. I think the Big 10 & Big 12 are stable for now and I don't think Marshall would head further west.

Separately, if Tennessee were to fire Martin, I think that would be a bit crazy & shortsighted, but I think their fans would riot if they didn't re-hire Pearl. There's a petition going around.

Agree that Mack is an obvious choice, but now being in the Big East, where basketball is all that matters, and he's made a good transition, can you make the case, he's already in a better spot. Rhoades has some HC experience and is tough as nails (Shaka disciple I've mentioned previously is Will Wade at Chattanooga, who I think needs more seasoning). Just looked up Mike White, who looks interesting, but is he an SEC guy waiting to happen? Huffman is certainly a possible option, but I just wonder if we need to land a young, hungry coach with IT factor for recruiting.

Usual caveat, all of this replacement discussion is likely untenable, as I don't think CBG is going anywhere after this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I agree. He could lose out and still get year 4, and probably rightfully so, BBC since his return has played like a man and even MGH has shown flashes of the slasher/hard nosed scorer I thought he could be. Without a shooter coming in though, I fear we are in for another long season in year 4.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree. He could lose out and still get year 4, and probably rightfully so, BBC since his return has played like a man and even MGH has shown flashes of the slasher/hard nosed scorer I thought he could be. Without a shooter coming in though, I fear we are in for another long season in year 4.
We can all agree that Chris Bolden's inconsistency has been disappointing & frustrating this season. I think he'd even agree with that.

I think there's a high likelihood that his cousin, Tadric, beats him out next season, allowing Bolden to assume a 6th man scorer role off of the bench. With less responsibility and fewer minutes to keep him fresher, I wonder if he gets right mentally and gets more consistent.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We can all agree that Chris Bolden's inconsistency has been disappointing & frustrating this season. I think he'd even agree with that.

I think there's a high likelihood that his cousin, Tadric, beats him out next season, allowing Bolden to assume a 6th man scorer role off of the bench. With less responsibility and fewer minutes to keep him fresher, I wonder if he gets right mentally and gets more consistent.

I was not aware that they were cousins. I am in favor of Tadric starting for day one. If only for the defensive upgrade.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was not aware that they were cousins. I am in favor of Tadric starting for day one. If only for the defensive upgrade.
I think that's very possibly how it goes down. Not only for defense, but from all accounts, it appears that Tadric has more of the mentality to want to take things on his shoulders. I think Chris could be a very good complementary player, if given the chance to be in that role.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agree that TN fans are crazy for the whole petition nonsense. They never gave Martin a chance due to their undying love of Pearl.

I didn't like Marshall at first but have since grown to love him as a coach. Still though there's something odd with him and I don't think it's wanting more $$$. He's turned down money and the chance to go back to his home state as a saviour (Clem, SCar). What gives?

On White, I figured he was a sure SEC hire but has been passed over at both Miss schools and LSU. He probably would jump at the OMiss job since he's a former player. That's what worries me about Mack since IIRC he's a former Xavier player. It'd be hard for him to leave for a comparable job.