Serious question

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think so. The bunch in Athens has had multiple groups like we have now over the years. One shift in the game - with everyone thinking NFL, guys don't seem to want to be a workhorse or feature back anymore. They are saving their legs for an anticipated payday, no matter how high the odds are stacked against them

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't affect Auburn in...2004 when they found a way to keep both Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown active. Pretty sure that team had Brandon Jacobs at one point too.

slugboy

Staff member
I agree but thinking more about how the OL blocks a little different for each running back and knowing the running backs tendencies when to cut. Each one has a different running Style.

The OL is thinking "who do I block and how do I get there?". The RB reads what holes are open. The OL doesn't really have a different blocking style for a different RB, unless there's some magic that they've started doing since back in my day.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The OL is thinking "who do I block and how do I get there?". The RB reads what holes are open. The OL doesn't really have a different blocking style for a different RB, unless there's some magic that they've started doing since back in my day.
I absolutely loved the comparison between D. Smith (I love this guy and consider him to be the equal of Gibbs and Mason) and Leveon Bell on the broadcast. Both are really good at waiting patiently for holes to come open and instead of plowing into the scrum like many backs are prone to do.

Jmonty71

Banned
Having a stable of running backs is good. However; failing to stick with a running back that is hot isn't good. Changing them out for the sake of changing them, is terrible. RBs get into a groove, like a QB does... Just my 2 cents.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Can you have too many good running backs , that it starts to hurt your running game ?
If one or more feels that they are superior to the others and not seeing higher playing time, that can cause problems. IIRC, Tony Dorsett said Dallas wasn’t big enough for him and Herschel Walker.