Serious Question re: Our "Fullback"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Who do you think is the closest clone to Dwyer that we've recruited? Custis?

I'm not sure we've come close to getting anyone on JD's level...Custis included. Dwyer was a special back for any offense not just CPJ's. Very rare combination of size, breakaway speed, vision, power, and agility. He was also very underrated in the passing game. Lots of backs have a 2-3 of those qualities, very few have all of them.

I think Custis would have been a VERY good BB, but his speed and agility isn't on Dwyer's level. Guys with Dwyer's size aren't supposed to move laterally on a dime like he did, and they're definitely not supposed to run away from DBs and keep separating 20 yards down the field. If you review the 2008 UGA game, Dwyer did everything on the list a perfect BB can do in this offense.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Dwyer.

He made a comment one time that Dwyer was probably as close to perfect BB as you could get.

We all agree on that point, but he did not recruit Dwyer. Can CPJ convince a kid with Dwyer's skill set to come to North Ave instead of another school? I'm not a "CPJ can't recruit" guy, but it looks like closing the deal on a kid with that many options is a tall order. History is bearing that out a least.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We all agree on that point, but he did not recruit Dwyer. Can CPJ convince a kid with Dwyer's skill set to come to North Ave instead of another school? I'm not a "CPJ can't recruit" guy, but it looks like closing the deal on a kid with that many options is a tall order. History is bearing that out a least.

I think he did with custis. Is he the same as dwyer. No. But could he have been as good. Yes i think so.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I wasn't commenting on CPJ's ability to recruit Dwyer. Honestly, that's not something I care to discuss anymore. I was just replying to another poster about Dwyer's ability and how it fits into the mold of what CPJ is looking for in a BB.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
As far as you alignment..we can all find borderline fringe freaky things that challenge the standard. Classic GT argument is they find that fringe. The reality is, you know this, one guy will have a tape tendency to get that snap, the D will assign him the QB read and the other the HB read and you move on...by alignment yes one would have to be a QB. Typically they shade, its not rocket science. This is getting way to fringe for the pursposes of what the discussion was about. The discussion was about OUR FB in OUR offense not being called a FB but a BB. My point is in our offense he is in a FB position, he is by nature a FB not in the NFL sense, in the option offense sense for sure, but still lined up as a FB...that is featured.[/QUOTE]

The problem with the last statement is that if where a player lines up is proprietary to their position then the fullback position you are arguing about at the moment would never have been called fullback in the first place. The alignment is not the same in the single wing as it is in the t and so on so forth.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Eh, the Cox brothers were more like fullbacks, imo. Laskey ain't JD, but he's more like a tailback than a fullback. Heck, blocking isn't even one of his strong suits.
Hey if I had The Cox bruddas .......I would be set........they just like to hit folks and hit them often.Laskey aint JD no doubt but kid gives it all and he aint a bad blocker from what I see..hope he is okay .

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
As if the loss last night wasn't bad enough, I think the announcer may have called Laskey a fullback over 100 times
Roddy Jones calls him a fullback as well. I personally do not care. If it somehow makes a difference in public perception than sure the Tech media relations people should really try and harp on it.