Serious question about Lou

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Ok I have to admit I am not a coach, just an avid fan. But it seems to me that this year, Lou Young has been singled out by opposing offenses. Can somebody help me out with why?

We have DJ white opposite him... a sophomore, and Young is a our 4-star Senior... I don't remember Lou struggling so bad...

I have to admit, I like Young and am rooting for him, just really wondering what is going on at that spot in our D.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Lou's mechanics are real bad now and that, in turn, has affected him mentally imo. Physically he has all the tools but he is just not in the game right now. If I were CTR I'd almost be tempted to put him in press coverage exclusively and let him just play and not think.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
The bad thing is he is an awesome guy too. I'm really pulling for him to get out of this funk. I lost my son to brain cancer back in june but before he left he got to know Lou Lou and daniel d. There's just something about an athlete that takes time to acknowledge ones fight for their life. For the first game this year louis had RIP Matt on his eye black

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Fellas.

I think Lou is a good corner with all of the tools to be a great one but there is one thing that everyone is avoiding and that is the person coaching the corners. Coach Speed lacks the knowledge to coach the corners to be better. Don't get me wrong Speed is a good LB coach but this is his first year with the GT corners and it shows. What Speed faced while with Navy is totally different than what he is facing now. His inexperience is why Roof is in the box. He needs more time under someone else before he can be given the full responsibility to coach corners. Guys the DB's are confused and trust me Roof is figuring this out. Did you see how Jemea was lighting into Lou. Watch the entire game and you and will see the confusion in the secondary. Hope we get things together or we are going to have a long evening against Clemson and Georgia.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Fellas.

I think Lou is a good corner with all of the tools to be a great one but there is one thing that everyone is avoiding and that is the person coaching the corners. Coach Speed lacks the knowledge to coach the corners to be better. Don't get me wrong Speed is a good LB coach but this is his first year with the GT corners and it shows. What Speed faced while with Navy is totally different than what he is facing now. His inexperience is why Roof is in the box. He needs more time under someone else before he can be given the full responsibility to coach corners. Guys the DB's are confused and trust me Roof is figuring this out. Did you see how Jemea was lighting into Lou. Watch the entire game and you and will see the confusion in the secondary. Hope we get things together or we are going to have a long evening against Clemson and Georgia.

You seem to know more about this... What isn't coach speed doing well?

gtdrew

Banned
If it's Coach Speed's fault then why does Jemea Thomas play so well? It's a depth issue. If they had anyone else to run out there, they would...

ToddM

I don't think it's the coach for two reasons. They don't pick on the other side and everyone else looks like, today anyway, they know where they are suppose to be.

Jemea isn't gonna get in Youngs *** if it's coaching. Obviously on several of these plays Jemea felt it was Young who messed up.

I tend to blame players for poor technique and maybe I am wrong for that but at this level players like Young should know what to do. On a lot of his plays he is just to damn soft in coverage. The comeback beats him every time and because he has such poor tech on deep balls he doesn't feel comfortable in press. And apparently CTR dosent feel comfortable with that either.

I personally think that he interfered on the long pass to the end zone on which he got credit for knocking the ball down. I think he missed the ball and grabbed the WRs left arm, I know he got beat badly, but that's just my thought. Whatever the issue he needs to stay off the field unless they have to run a dime, so he has help. Perhaps he should be at safety.

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
Lou has been beat like a drum all season. He single handedly extended drives for them today. If they set JHD down last game to make the point that you can't miss assignments and play, then they need to do the same with Lou. YES, teams pick on him, especially on 3rd and long. If it is a depth issue, we have to roll a safety to his side and help because this kid couldn't cover my 4th grader.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think it's the coach for two reasons. They don't pick on the other side and everyone else looks like, today anyway, they know where they are suppose to be.

Jemea isn't gonna get in Youngs *** if it's coaching. Obviously on several of these plays Jemea felt it was Young who messed up.

I tend to blame players for poor technique and maybe I am wrong for that but at this level players like Young should know what to do. On a lot of his plays he is just to damn soft in coverage. The comeback beats him every time and because he has such poor tech on deep balls he doesn't feel comfortable in press. And apparently CTR dosent feel comfortable with that either.

I personally think that he interfered on the long pass to the end zone on which he got credit for knocking the ball down. I think he missed the ball and grabbed the WRs left arm, I know he got beat badly, but that's just my thought. Whatever the issue he needs to stay off the field unless they have to run a dime, so he has help. Perhaps he should be at safety.
This

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes that was one of worst performances by an individual Georgia Tech football player in modern memory. I say modern but I have been watching them since the late 50's and I am having trouble of thinking of another one to compare. I'm sure there have been some but this one is up there.

Hopefully he will use this as motivation. He has to be the best one we have available to play that position or I feel certain he would have been subbed for. We have to get him playing better before we play Clemson and Georgia. Both teams are capable of finding and exploiting our weakness in pass defense.

We will need to blitz like crazy and hope for the best if he does not start playing better.

Go Jackets!

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
His technique is getting worse as the season goes along. At this point, just turn and run with your guy and don't interfere. If a good pass beats him, fine, at least he will be there and make the quarterback have to think about it. He looks like he's trying to learn something new and it isn't working.

Jn4heisman

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes that was one of worst performances by an individual Georgia Tech football player in modern memory. I say modern but I have been watching them since the late 50's and I am having trouble of thinking of another one to compare. I'm sure there have been some but this one is up there.

Hopefully he will use this as motivation. He has to be the best one we have available to play that position or I feel certain he would have been subbed for. We have to get him playing better before we play Clemson and Georgia. Both teams are capable of finding and exploiting our weakness in pass defense.

We will need to blitz like crazy and hope for the best if he does not start playing better.

Go Jackets!
Reminds me of Pat Clark. B/C they are always getting burned.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lou seemed to be beat long and then he would cover long only to have the receiver pull up short and then beat him short. Rinse and repeat. I do not know enough how a CB keeps this from happening.

The other teams do seem to throw his way. He is worth a pass interference at worse. But, better a pass interference than a TD.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I really like Lou and am pulling for him. But I have to think that Roof may sit him like JHD... The question is do we have a guy who can even remotely play significant minutes like we had in Harrell.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
If we dont have anyone better than Lou than thats the real issue. That was hard to watch almost comical. He gives about 20 yards cushion. I feel a big part of being a cb is having good football i.q. and I dont think lou has that. Jamea on the other hand.....too bad we dont have 4 of him.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Seems like jamming his receiver at the line would solve a lot of problems. Takes away short passing and disrupts timing while slowing the receiver down

ToddM

Part of his problem is looking into the back field and watching the QB instead of his man. Pressing at the line would work for some one who looks at their man but if he did it he would bump the WR then stare into the back field and his man would still run right by him.

I think he would better serve us at SS there he can run support and doesn't have to worry about "his" guy.