Separating Contenders from Pretenders

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Duke wins. I think the Duke O will beat the Miami D and the Duke D will come close to matching the Miami O.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I watched that game and thought VT's offense was pretty good. But upon further inspection, Navy's average yards per play against tehOSu was nearly 6 yards per play. VT's against tHeOsU was closer to 4 yards per play.

So now, I'm not sure what to think about VT's offense. Boomer, in his writeup, didn't think they were that good either.

This is what Navy's schedule has looked like so far:

They scored 17 against Ohio State; 31 against Temple; 35 against Texas State, and 24 against Rutgers.

East Carolina scored 52 against NC Central, 23 against South Carolina (gave up 33 who also scored 35 against UGA), 28 against VA Tech (gave up 21), and 70 against UNC (gave up 41).

My point is that while VA Tech scored 35 against Ohio State, and may have scored less against East Carolina and us, East Carolina's defense has played top offenses as well SEC and ACC teams so far, and our defense seemed to improve (dramatically) the second half of the game against VA Tech (like our first two games). Personally, I think the game against Georgia Southern was an anomally where a young team lost focus rather than the other way around as we now have three games which shows great adjustments at halftime rather than the other way around (75% versus 25% with 1/3 of the season through).