Separating Contenders from Pretenders

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is another intriguing case for me. The Yellow Jackets barely snuck past Georgia Southern at home before traveling to Blacksburg the next week and topping Virginia Tech. The last time Paul Johnson's team started this hot was 2011, but that Georgia Tech squad turned a 6-0 start into an 8-5 season. Johnson's won seven games in each of his two seasons since. There just doesn't feel like a lot of positivity coming out of this program -- Johnson was even rumored to be unhappy at Tech last winter. Due to recent history, I'm almost tempted to bump the Jackets down to "fun while it lasts."

www.si.com/college-football/20...-surprise-teams

Georgia Tech is another intriguing case for me. The Yellow Jackets barely snuck past Georgia Southern at home before traveling to Blacksburg the next week and topping Virginia Tech. The last time Paul Johnson's team started this hot was 2011, but that Georgia Tech squad turned a 6-0 start into an 8-5 season. Johnson's won seven games in each of his two seasons since. There just doesn't feel like a lot of positivity coming out of this program -- Johnson was even rumored to be unhappy at Tech last winter. Due to recent history, I'm almost tempted to bump the Jackets down to "fun while it lasts."

I am not sure about the positivity comment, but hard to argue with the rest of it, since it is accurate. We have our opportunity now to fish or cut bait with a slew of conference games ahead. I guess the appropriate cliche is that we control our own destiny. It is not far fetched that we could run the string to 7-0. Would we then be a contender? or still a pretender?

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
If this anything like most years, Tech is just giving us false hope. My expectation at beginning year was 7 wins and I'm not going to change it.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Now that the afterglow of the VT game is subsiding, I'm switching back to clear lenses (from gold-tinted).

Our D is still a work in progress - starting to realize how inept VT's offense really is. Not taking credit away from our guys - not at all but do need to put it in perspective. I still think we take UM on the big stage next week but I think its important that we not take anyone on our schedule for granted - UVa is looking very tough, Pitt hung with Iowa, NC St, Duke, Clemson - not an easy one in the bunch. Gonna be a fun season.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Now that the afterglow of the VT game is subsiding, I'm switching back to clear lenses (from gold-tinted).

Our D is still a work in progress - starting to realize how inept VT's offense really is. Not taking credit away from our guys - not at all but do need to put it in perspective. I still think we take UM on the big stage next week but I think its important that we not take anyone on our schedule for granted - UVa is looking very tough, Pitt hung with Iowa, NC St, Duke, Clemson - not an easy one in the bunch. Gonna be a fun season.

Ask Ohio State how "inept" VA Tech's offense is...and that was AT THEIR HOUSE.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One. Game. At. A. Time.

4-0 right now. Exciting QB. Defense that gives ups some big plays, but tends to make big plays when we need it. Young team with potential to do good things in conference division with no clear "great" team.

I know at the beginning of the season I was hoping our young team would work out the kinks the first three games, but it looks like it's going to a work in progress for a bit. If this was a senior laden team, I'd be worried. But our young guys will get better and play smarter as the season goes on.

Like some of you said, gonna enjoy the ride because this year's team is fun to watch.

Declinometer

Banned

If anyone needed this its you.
http://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/20...yone-it-turns-out/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Ask Ohio State how "inept" VA Tech's offense is...and that was AT THEIR HOUSE.
I watched that game and thought VT's offense was pretty good. But upon further inspection, Navy's average yards per play against tehOSu was nearly 6 yards per play. VT's against tHeOsU was closer to 4 yards per play.

So now, I'm not sure what to think about VT's offense. Boomer, in his writeup, didn't think they were that good either.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
This has happened multiple times where Tech wins a big game only to follow it up with a stinker. I am optimistic that this team is different. Hopefully all the team is worried about is Miami We have a young team and I get worried that this early success can get to their heads. Hopefully they will keep that 2nd half against GSU in their minds the rest of the year so they remember that we can lose to anyone if we don't play our best.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm still cautiously optimistic about our chances against Miami, or anyone else on the schedule. Until the D can figure out how to defend 3rd and long we are going to be walking a tightrope.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty simple where we are at this point.

We've won 3 we were supposed to and one we werent. If we keep working hard and improving we can do well and maybe even have a special season. If we dont get better and or have a bunch of injuries we will be on track for 6-7 wins max.

IMO if we avoid the injury bug and work hard we'll improve on both sides of the ball win 8 or 9 and contend for coastal. We are short bodies and pass rush on the DL tbough and unless tbat changes it will limit upside on 5he season.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The dook/uM game this Sat will be interesting.dook beat them last yr while running for 350 yds!If uM loses to them again,,I'm not sure that dook won't be a bigger problem for us.dook gets bye wk before us to prepare. we actually have chance to sweep --or be swept.