Sellouts since the Bobby Dodd Stadium expansion (2003)

GTFLETCH

Banned
56,680 – 2006 – Notre Dame
55,646 - 2011 - Clemson
55,407 - 2009 - UGA
56,412 – 2005 – UGA
55,320 – 2006 – Miami
55,000 - 2003 - Auburn
55,000 - 2003 - UGA
55,000 – 2004 – Miami
55,000 – 2005 – Clemson
54,990 – 2007 – UGA (10 from SELLOUT)

GTFLETCH

Banned
Anyone concerned that we have had only two sellouts under the CPJ era? Does anyone think GT needs to improve their OOC scheduling?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Anyone concerned that we have had only two sellouts under the CPJ era? Does anyone think GT needs to improve their OOC scheduling?

i don't think its OOC scheduling. All our sellouts and only 2 were OOC. I think its partly people have fallen off the paul wagon, and there is no premier talent like a CJ that is pulling in the periphery...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Seems to me its all about playing big names. Notre Dame, Miami (10 years ago), UGA, Auburn, and Clemson move the dial for Tech fans as well as non Tech fans.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Yes, I am concerned, but not in any way having to do with CPJ, and not a ton having to do with scheduling. If Tech can't sell the stadium out vs. a top 20 FSU team in 2008 (53,528) when we had not played them for five years, and we won!, that is not a CPJ problem or a scheduling problem. That is a fan problem.

Same for #4 Virginia Tech in 2009, on Homecoming, for a Tech team that was 5-1 going into the game, and again won! (54,405).

You counted neither of those as sellouts. Those are not CPJ or scheduling problems. If there is a reason that we are not selling those out, those are marketing and/or fan problems.

Animal02

Banned
College football attendance has plateaued and even declined over the last 5-8 years. It's not a GT or PJ issue, it's a college football issue.

Edited to add...if you look at the the games listed by the OP, most of those games, had a fanbase that brought quite a few fans as well.

In the last few years, it has become easier and easier to catch any game over the internet and not rely on broadcast TV.
If you are a middle of the road fan.......are you going to drive 3-4 hrs ea way to catch the game when you can watch it on a big screen at home?

Other factors hampering attendance.........hassles with tighter security. Games time dictated by ESPN instead of the school, and not even knowing the game time until a week ahead.
(In years past, it was easy to catch a cheap flight weeks in advance, even going and leaving the same day......now, you have to figure 2 nights hotel because the game could be anywhere from 12 (or earlier in the other time zones) to 8pm.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think I saw articles last year about how college football attendance overall was down. I may be confused with NFL though.

CFB is entertainment and obviously GT football hasn't been able to compete on putting butts in seats as Animal said. The only thing I disagree with reducing attendance is tighter security. Last year I went to every game and the security was no problem at all (entered north end).

I put some fraction (15-20%) on CPJ since he is the face of the program. And he doesn't come across as friendly or excited, like a Dabo. But the vast majority of the problem is elsewhere.

Animal02

Banned
I think I saw articles last year about how college football attendance overall was down. I may be confused with NFL though.

CFB is entertainment and obviously GT football hasn't been able to compete on putting butts in seats as Animal said. The only thing I disagree with reducing attendance is tighter security. Last year I went to every game and the security was no problem at all (entered north end).

I put some fraction (15-20%) on CPJ since he is the face of the program. And he doesn't come across as friendly or excited, like a Dabo. But the vast majority of the problem is elsewhere.
The tighter security issue is probably more perception than really.......but it can be a turn off. Looking at what is not permitted in stadiums now.. (the Mich State game I am going to on Fri....no purses allowed at all......wife and daughter are not thrilled with that) The perception is almost as bad as going to the airport. (Though in reality it was not bad going through security at the Big Ten Champ. Game last year either)
One other factor is our incredibly small alumni base compared to others. Michigan State has 45k students.....that is a lot of alumni even if a small fraction buy tickets to one game a year.

You only PERCEIVE that Johnson is not friendly or excited. He is a very droll individual, but those who know him personally, INCLUDING HIS PLAYERS PAST AND PRESENT, think he is incredibly friendly and warm and gets as excited as anybody. I might add that I do not know him personally at all, but I do know some people who do.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Attendance for ALL sporting events is down overall. Too easy to sit at home and watch games on HD on your big flat screen with friends than battle traffic, fight for parking, pay a lot of money to attend, eat, drink, and do it all over again on your way out.

It's not just GT that's having problems, I believe UGA is starting to see their attendance erode as well outside of national profile games.

Animal02

Banned
You only PERCEIVE that Johnson is not friendly or excited. He is a very droll individual, but those who know him personally, INCLUDING HIS PLAYERS PAST AND PRESENT, think he is incredibly friendly and warm and gets as excited as anybody. I might add that I do not know him personally at all, but I do know some people who do.

I don't know him personally, wish I did :) Have liked him as a coach since his Navy days.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Head coaching is a difficult job involving unique knowledge (Xs and Os); management skills to accomplish ever changing goals; people skills involving working with institution bosses, coaching subordinates, kids and parents, media, and fans, and all the while meeting schedule, GT institution policy, NCAA rules, and personal goals. He is very experienced and knows exactly what he wants to do. In CPJ's inner circle (the group he works with to meet his agenda) he is probably a warm and friendly person. Those outside his inner circle are likely a nuisance and a distraction to his agenda and IMO he has a hard time taking attention away from his high focus on his job and goals. We are so lucky to have a coach so dedicated to his job that his resists and minimizes such distractions. Everybody is different and our coach just has a few rough edges (when it comes to distractors).

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If you look back over Tech's history, it has almost always been this way. Great crowds for big games and not as great for lesser opponents. The difference is now there is less "delta a" between the big and not so big games.

Back in the 70s and 80s especially you would have a full house for ND, Auburn , UT or the leghumpers. The next week Duke or navy would come in and 20 to 25k would be in the stands. We rarely if ever drop below about 43k now.,.which was a full house from 1985-2002.

Head coaching is a difficult job involving unique knowledge (Xs and Os); management skills to accomplish ever changing goals; people skills involving working with institution bosses, coaching subordinates, kids and parents, media, and fans, and all the while meeting schedule, GT institution policy, NCAA rules, and personal goals. He is very experienced and knows exactly what he wants to do. In CPJ's inner circle (the group he works with to meet his agenda) he is probably a warm and friendly person. Those outside his inner circle are likely a nuisance and a distraction to his agenda and IMO he has a hard time taking attention away from his high focus on his job and goals. We are so lucky to have a coach so dedicated to his job that his resists and minimizes such distractions. Everybody is different and our coach just has a few rough edges (when it comes to distractors).
I'm not talking about people in his "inner circle." He is said to be friendly, warm, and respectful to all who are respectful to him. He can't abide stupid questions from media people though, and that's the main source of the perception that many have of him. That's not saying that ALL media people ask stupid questions, but a good many of them do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If all the sellouts are non-conference games then I think that is a problem with the fans and not the team or coach
Yeah. Exactly. Whenever we talk about OCC games to increase attendance I always wonder if anyone else is concerned that we have to fill our stadium up with opposing fans to have good attendance. I am tired of the stadium looking all red for the uga game. I am sure I would get tired of it being all orange for Tennessee or all whatever for whatever team we schedule to bring in a boat load of opposing fans.

I remember being at a Notre Dame game years ago and I was surrounded by Notre Dame fans. I felt like I was in South Bend.