Selective enforcement once again: NCAA strikes again

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
FSU has negotiated penalties with the NCAA related to improper use of the NIL to persuade a football player and his family who was in the portal by arranging a meeting b/w recruit and his family with one of FSU’s NIL collective organization. No real consequences handed down for Michigan signal stealing, no consequences for deadly dui and car racing b/w UGA recruiting employee and a UGA football player who is allowed to leave the scene w/o rendering aide as mentioned in a ESPN sports article. Which is more worse death or premature promise/lie of setting up a meeting with a perspective athlete? Link: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...taffers-drove-drinking-court-documents-allege

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
FSU has negotiated penalties with the NCAA related to improper use of the NIL to persuade a football player and his family who was in the portal by arranging a meeting b/w recruit and his family with one of FSU’s NIL collective organization. No real consequences handed down for Michigan signal stealing, no consequences for deadly dui and car racing b/w UGA recruiting employee and a UGA football player who is allowed to leave the scene w/o rendering aide as mentioned in a ESPN sports article. Which is more worse death or premature promise/lie of setting up a meeting with a perspective athlete? Link: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...taffers-drove-drinking-court-documents-allege
I imagine the lawsuit filed by surviving former UGA football recruiting assistant will be settled out of court, prior to coaches being called under oath to testify, and a non disclosure agreement signed and heavily enforced. This former employee’s lawyer states she has life altering disabilities resulting from the lack of oversight and enforcement. However if she was truly driving the rental without permission why didn’t UGA ever formally pursue charging her with theft.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I imagine the lawsuit filed by surviving former UGA football recruiting assistant will be settled out of court, prior to coaches being called under oath to testify, and a non disclosure agreement signed and heavily enforced. This former employee’s lawyer states she has life altering disabilities resulting from the lack of oversight and enforcement. However if she was truly driving the rental without permission why didn’t UGA ever formally pursue charging her with theft.
They didn’t pursue charging her with theft because they are gentlemen and didn’t want to add misery to her already shattered life.

Just kidding. 😟

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
She wasn't driving. The girl with a BOC 0.193 while driving with direction from a representative of the school died.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have always been of the opinion that the kid who fled the scene left because he did not want to get a DUI. He knew if he stayed and helped his friends, teammates, and whomever, he would have been given a breathalyzer and then arrested for DUI. That would have seriously jeopardized his NFL Draft status, especially since there was a serious accident involved with the racing. He was a coward and abandoned his teammates, his friends, and those in critical need. I would never want someone like that playing next to me.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don’t follow closely but as I recall, NCAA for a long time turned a blind eye toward criminal issues. They limited their involvement to academic issues and “amateurism” (player payment) issues. They set an “unprecedented” precedent when they piled on to Penn State during the molestation cases. I guess the NCAA determined that everyone was so outraged that they could insert themselves without repercussions. That’s typical of their enforcement policies….
Maybe the UGA case gets to the point where collective outrage paves the way for NCAA to pile on, but I doubt it. I would expect them to go back to their blind eye guidance on criminal matters and claim that it is “outside of their purview”

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I understand the point you are making, but I just read the article about FSU's violations and its about time the NCAA steps up to do something about it. And BTW ... it couldn't happen to a nicer program (sic). I feel no pity for FSU and I hope the NCAA doesn't stop there ! The fact that Utah bought their entire football roster $60,000 trucks can't possibly be where the NCAA wants to take college football.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Their OC is suspended for the first three games of '24. That will impact the Ireland game, but they'll have all summer to plan for it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Plus, not sure how real it is, but Norvell has been mentioned as a candidate for the Alabama HC.
Norvell has always been listed as one of the four main candidates. I could be wrong but Alabama will need to act sooner rather than later before each of their preferred candidates gets tainted or taken out of the process by bigger winds of change.

It would be ironic if one of the strongest programs in the country can’t find a great coach because “they are one of the strongest programs in the country.”

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Norvell has always been listed as one of the four main candidates. I could be wrong but Alabama will need to act sooner rather than later before each of their preferred candidates gets tainted or taken out of the process by bigger winds of change.

It would be ironic if one of the strongest programs in the country can’t find a great coach because “they are one of the strongest programs in the country.”
I just read an article on which of the Coaching Candidates that are Hot or Cold for the job ... Norvell was listed as HOT.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t follow closely but as I recall, NCAA for a long time turned a blind eye toward criminal issues. They limited their involvement to academic issues and “amateurism” (player payment) issues. They set an “unprecedented” precedent when they piled on to Penn State during the molestation cases. I guess the NCAA determined that everyone was so outraged that they could insert themselves without repercussions. That’s typical of their enforcement policies….
Maybe the UGA case gets to the point where collective outrage paves the way for NCAA to pile on, but I doubt it. I would expect them to go back to their blind eye guidance on criminal matters and claim that it is “outside of their purview”
Yall really want the NCAA getting involved in criminal cases at college campuses? We have criminal and civil courts for these matters.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yall really want the NCAA getting involved in criminal cases at college campuses? We have criminal and civil courts for these matters.
Who said that?
Penn State was over reach in my opinion and I don’t expect the level of outrage for the UGA case to get to where the NCAA is pressured to get involved.
The irony is that “impermissible benefits” are all over it and will likely come out, but will not be investigated by the NCAA because of the nature of events.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I have always been of the opinion that the kid who fled the scene left because he did not want to get a DUI. He knew if he stayed and helped his friends, teammates, and whomever, he would have been given a breathalyzer and then arrested for DUI. That would have seriously jeopardized his NFL Draft status, especially since there was a serious accident involved with the racing. He was a coward and abandoned his teammates, his friends, and those in critical need. I would never want someone like that playing
I blame the police. I heard the body mic video of the police interview which occurred at least an hour after the accident. Of course, Coach Gantt was allowed to get involved according to the news report. The police interview didn't press the player on his involvement or lack of involvement. It was a complete failure on the part of the police to find out what happened. He pled to a couple of misdemeanors and got probation. The civil case will never go to trial- UGA will pay big. They should pay big. Although UGA players and an Assistant Coach continued to get caught driving at excessive speeds after this tragedy, it has been quiet over the summer and this season. I would not be surprised if Kirby finally issued a warning that these excessive speed infractions would trigger a multi game suspension. Lectures from the police didn't seem to have any effect.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Ahh I remember the recruitment story. Do they get penalized for what was very clearly pay to play?