Secondary talent

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Were they really throwing marshmallows? I can't imagine what that meant. UGA fans infamously threw sugar cubes in one game to celebrate winning the SEC and going to the Sugar Bowl. Likewise, Florida fans threw oranges one year but marshmallows?
That's what they were throwing, but I found this:

I wondered at the time if it was a commentary on our play.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I doubt Saban told his players how much he loved them after losing to Texas A&M
I'm sure you're right about Saban, but he also has the type players that are capable of recovering and doing it successfully, and if they don't he has someone that can take their place. We have a lot of recruiting to do to get to that place.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Plan for Saturday:
Man coverage, blitz, stunt, unpredictable, Jude Kelley, limited gap integrity, blitz, send eight at times, Jude onside kicks, on offense a slip screen or ten until they stop one or two, QB draws, did I say that every score on our part deserves an onside kick? It does. What in the world do we have to lose, the line is up to 35 1/2?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The size, speed, and previous playing time of our secondary, is what labelled them as the strength of our team in pre-season. I think this answers the OPs question.

If, If, If.......we bring in a quality defensive staff, there is hope, considering: the young DL grows up, the even younger DL recruits contribute depth, and the LB corp of Thomas, Jackson, Tatum, and Willis reach their high ceiling potential. Thomas and Jackson are proven veterans, Tatum, a star in the making, has a bit of experience this year due to injuries to starters, and Willis may one of our best in a long time (remember Roof was pretty damned effective as a Fr). As for the OL, we need to stay healthy. The 2020 class OL will be Juniors (note, yesterday ND started a Jr and Fr on the OL) and many top programs start Soph OL.

I still have hope that CGC combined with quality Co-ordinators, will be a winning combo. However, the excuse train is pulling out of da station with more and more donors on board.
Don't forget Popovich, he's got the corners. Something is amiss here. There's way too many missed assignments and receivers running free for there not to be a disconnect. We had less push up front last year with the same players and much better performance. There's no way this isn't scheme or technique, and that's on the coaches.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget Popovich, he's got the corners. Something is amiss here. There's way too many missed assignments and receivers running free for there not to be a disconnect. We had less push up front last year with the same players and much better performance. There's no way this isn't scheme or technique, and that's on the coaches.
Agree. Receivers are coming wide open almost from the moment they cross the LOS.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We play zone defenses frequently. I’d say we play zone most of the time.
Yeah I see zone a lot, especially in third and long with no added pressure. It’s actually kind of frustrating at times because we give opposing QBs all day to find the holes

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We need to just play man and take our chances. These guys have not been able to master whatever is required to cover opponents in a zone scheme. I would also blitz every down. You have to find some way to get pressure on the QB. Send as many as you need to move the QB off his spot and when the opportunity evals itself put a hit on his butt just to keep him thinking of that potential. Of all the teams I have watched this year, I believe we have the least effective defense in college football. Other than the UNC game we just have not shown any consistency other than bad performance.

Go Jackets!
Well yeah, I mean at this point what’s the risk? Are we worried about blitzing and giving up a big play? Well, we are already giving up the big play, so may as well take a chance with pressure more often than we are.