SEC East Georgie

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
There is literally nothing different between 2017 and the last several years - years where they have finished the season ranked only once. They have averaged a top 5-7 recruiting class for a decade. Sure, they could go 12-1 or 15-0, or they could go 8-5 or who knows. There is literally nothing this year that would lead an unbiased observer to think their team will be any better than it usually is.

That's about right; throw out the 6-7 (2010) and 12-2 (2012) and it's 8 or 10 wins a year for the past decade.

One reason they stay under our skin is they usually beat us with good players and garbage coaching. I'd say Notre Dame, UT, GT are toss ups. Otherwise, I agree with the schedule above.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So it is SEC media time and we get to listen to the SEC hype for 3 days. I was reading on the AJC Dawg Blog how they expect to be named the favorites in the East. They think a 12-1 Season is to be expected. Ok, so I am a Tech guy but their reasoning is all the talent they have and all the talent coming back. I know they have these great recruiting classes, a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds, but frankly I don't see this great talent. We have beaten them 2 out of 3 years and probably should have in 2015. To me the SEC East is
Florida
Georgia
then the rest who knows.

This kind of runs with the thread that Tennessee think we are a warm up game. Don't those people know we own the SEC East.

Well, its sort of like how the old Big 8 used to be derided as "Oklahoma and the 7 Dwarves" In this case, UGA gets top billing because they are returning more starters and a starting quarterback while the Gators and Tennessee are basically starting over although Gator fans insist that with the quarterbacks they had last year its one of those addition by subtraction deals. In any case, Finebaum among others is predicting the Gators to finish first. Make of that what you will.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
(1) Chuck Oliver is an idiot. His predictions are virtually always ridiculously biased to generate fan interest and support. Maybe he is even stupid enough to believe his own predictions, I don't know. But his predictions are garbage designed to endear him to the SEC fan bases;
(2) It seems like tons of folks are forgetting that you can usually gauge the strength of a team by how good their lines are. The backs get the press and the flash, but the game is (almost0 always won int he trenches. Tell me who blocks best, who tackles best, who has the speed to get outside, and I will tell you the likely winner (80% probability). All those returning backs at UGa mean nothing. How their O line plays means a ton. How their front 7 play on defense also means a ton. They're good on defense, but we did manage to score on them twice when the game was on the line last year in the 4th quarter, so I am certainly not intimidated by their D. Their O line remains a work in progress. Picking them to win their division is a dream for the fan base (again);
(3) Given the weakness of their schedule, I could see them finishing 8-4 (as usual). And yes, their schedule is weaker than ours.

Deleted member 2897

I’m not even sure how much of a compliment it is to say we run the SEC East.

Good point. I love it, because it insults everyone. All these guys that every summer announce they're going to be in the running for a National Championship can't even make it to Atlanta. But here's li
Well, its sort of like how the old Big 8 used to be derided as "Oklahoma and the 7 Dwarves" In this case, UGA gets top billing because they are returning more starters and a starting quarterback while the Gators and Tennessee are basically starting over although Gator fans insist that with the quarterbacks they had last year its one of those addition by subtraction deals. In any case, Finebaum among others is predicting the Gators to finish first. Make of that what you will.

Florida's recruiting classes (going from memory) have been in the same range as georgia's for the last decade...maybe a touch worse. But they have owned georgia head-to-head, winning something like 21 of the last 27 meetings. By default you should always pick Florida above georgia in the SEC East as a default starting position.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
IMO the most sure bet of a division winner in all of college football would be Florida winning the SEC East. I’d pick that over Bama winning the West.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The advantage of being a Tech fan right there. We temper expectations due to this little thing called REALITY, lol! App State could surprise them and every other game is a toss up in my opinion until we see them in an actual game. Would you say that it is easier to predict their season or our season at this point though with all the variables going on with both Tech and UGA?

App State could definitely surprise them. We need to be careful with Jax St. We don't want a repeat of Middle Tennessee State from a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk