SEC Dominance

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I get so tired of hearing about how great the SEC is. The media boost them, and people have the perception that to be an elite college player you have to be in the SEC. If you took BAMA and put them in the ACC would we be the premier conference? This year is already set up for the SEC to brag, you have their 3 best teams goin against UNC, Va tech and Clemson. They have the upper hand in 2 of those games and even in UGA vs. CU. so if they win all 3, it's gonna be how they dominated us. But if there's any upsets, they just had a bad day. Will it ever end?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
It will end if ACC starts winning consistently against the SEC and the ACC has a couple of BCS National Champions.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
They are the best conference, but not by as much as everybody makes out. There are other good teams outside the SEC worth recognition. I just worry if the media keep boosting them, and they get a lot more exposure than other conferences, it will end up being a super conference. Where the Sec has the top 10 recruiting classes every year and they are the path to the NFL.

Idk how it is in y'all's parts of the state but UGA fans around here honestly believe Vandy, Kentucky, or Tennesee could come in a dominate the ACC. You can't argue with ignorance

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Does the SEC deserve respect? Sure it does. But to say KY, TN, AU, MSU, OleMIss, Ark, Mizzou, Vandy are world beaters is just nonsense. The top of the conference is very good to excellent with Bama leading the way. LSU, GA, SC, FL and A&M have all had some head scratching losses over the last few years and other than LSU and FL which of those teams have played for a NC? Louisville embarrassed FL last year, UCF did the same to GA and is SC's and A&M's success something they're going to be able to sustain? I not bashing the SEC in the least, the conference deserves the respect it gets. But to say that as a conference it's head and shoulders above the rest of college football is questionable.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Does the SEC deserve respect? Sure it does. But to say KY, TN, AU, MSU, OleMIss, Ark, Mizzou, Vandy are world beaters is just nonsense. The top of the conference is very good to excellent with Bama leading the way. LSU, GA, SC, FL and A&M have all had some head scratching losses over the last few years and other than LSU and FL which of those teams have played for a NC? Louisville embarrassed FL last year, UCF did the same to GA and is SC's and A&M's success something they're going to be able to sustain? I not bashing the SEC in the least, the conference deserves the respect it gets. But to say that as a conference it's head and shoulders above the rest of college football is questionable.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I wouldn't put TAMU in that top group honestly. They had a great year last year, but will come back to the pack due to defensive losses (JMHO).

I agree the 7IAR thing is impressive, but that doesn't lead me to assume the SEC patch on the jerseys are stamps of invincibility. Bama and LSU have earned it through their own play. The rest are riding coattails to a large degree IMO.

I look at Aub for example. Aub is among the 7IAR but they've been an awful team post-Cam. Just because they won it back then are we supposed to continue to give them the respect of a national champion?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's yet another example of confirmation bias, imo. If an SEC school wins the MNC or out of conference then it's an example of the SEC strength. If an SEC school loses, like Au to CU, then it's an example of a particular school being mismatched.

gtdrew

Banned
The difference in the "haves" and "have nots" is greater in the SEC than anywhere else, excepting maybe the PAC-12. I do find it ludicrous that Tennessee and Arkansas fans have the stones to thump their chests when Alabama laps the field every year. I don't remember Syracuse ever doing that when Miami was dominant, nor did Washington fans thump their chests when USC styled their way to the top. But don't let a team from south of the Mason-Dixon win, or every mouth-breathing hillbilly in the world takes ownership. The only way to stop it is to start blistering them OOC.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
In those last 7 years, among the traditional ACC-SEC rivalry matchp-ups:
FSU is 2-5 against UF.
Clemson is 2-5 against USC.
GT is 1-6 against uga.

It's not just the match-ups, SEC has been dominating ACC.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The difference in the "haves" and "have nots" is greater in the SEC than anywhere else, excepting maybe the PAC-12. I do find it ludicrous that Tennessee and Arkansas fans have the stones to thump their chests when Alabama laps the field every year. I don't remember Syracuse ever doing that when Miami was dominant, nor did Washington fans thump their chests when USC styled their way to the top. But don't let a team from south of the Mason-Dixon win, or every mouth-breathing hillbilly in the world takes ownership. The only way to stop it is to start blistering them OOC.

This is a really interesting point actually. As a Syracuse fan you are correct, I did not thump my chest about the Big East when Miami won national championships. I did, however, want them to beat FSU, Nebraska, or whoever simply because it would make a win or loss against them look better. I did that despite hating them pretty profusely.

That said there are still some differences in the comparison. #1, Syracuse never competes with Miami for recruits. #2, geography - no one in NY has to deal with Miami fans talking nonstop. That's different from the overlapping footprints between the ACC and SEC. #3 - the media wasn't pumping up the Big East due to Miami's success.

I know I am in the minority and will invite some backlash with this final statement, but if it weren't for recruiting ramifications to GT I'd have little problem with the SEC or UGA's increased national presence in the last decade. I hate UGA's trashtalk, I hate UGA's fans for the most part, and I've hated the gameday experiences in Athens the 4 times I've been there Thanksgiving weekend. However I like big wins/explainable losses for GT more than I care about another team or conference's success.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
But take week 1 for example. If we had FSU playin UT, Clemson play Arkansas, and Miami play Vandy. We have the upper hand. Then if we win all 3, there's nothin to brag about cause u just beat the 3 worst SEC teams. If you took BAMA out then no better than the rest

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
But take week 1 for example. If we had FSU playin UT, Clemson play Arkansas, and Miami play Vandy. We have the upper hand. Then if we win all 3, there's nothin to brag about cause u just beat the 3 worst SEC teams. If you took BAMA out then no better than the rest

That's the problem. You can't do that. If is a big word. If my grandmother had testicles, she would have been my grandfather.

The fact is that Bama is an SEC team. They do play in the SEC regular season. And teams have to play them.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
That's the problem. You can't do that. If is a big word. If my grandmother had testicles, she would have been my grandfather.

The fact is that Bama is an SEC team. They do play in the SEC regular season. And teams have to play them.
Just sayin, riding BAMAs coat tales and thinkin the National Championship should be 2 SEC teams every year is ludicrous