SEC Adds Texas & OU, What Next?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Form D1: https://d1baseball.com/columns/rogers-texas-ou-to-the-sec-will-have-far-reaching-implications/

Looking at D1 and GTSwarm ( https://gtswarm.com/threads/expansion-talk-2021.23535 ) it looks like the ACC will remain intact for a while. But let's consider three cases:

1) ACC remains intact. ACC remains one of the two best baseball conferences. With the ATL connections, we are in great shape.
2) ACC is merged into SEC. We are in the best conference for baseball. With the ATL connections, we are in great shape.
3) ACC splits up and we don't make the SEC cut due to limited football revenue we bring to the table. This would not be good and if we ended up in a non-baseball conference like B1G and would be awful for SoS. But this is considered a very low likelihood.

As discussed in D1, this may help the third assistant coach (good to nuetral for GT) and increase in scholarships (bad for GT overall given the HOPE scholarship advantage but good for the guys getting the additional money).

We can talk about the sport that matters here. Thoughts?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Form D1: https://d1baseball.com/columns/rogers-texas-ou-to-the-sec-will-have-far-reaching-implications/

Looking at D1 and GTSwarm ( https://gtswarm.com/threads/expansion-talk-2021.23535 ) it looks like the ACC will remain intact for a while. But let's consider three cases:

1) ACC remains intact. ACC remains one of the two best baseball conferences. With the ATL connections, we are in great shape.
2) ACC is merged into SEC. We are in the best conference for baseball. With the ATL connections, we are in great shape.
3) ACC splits up and we don't make the SEC cut due to limited football revenue we bring to the table. This would not be good and if we ended up in a non-baseball conference like B1G and would be awful for SoS. But this is considered a very low likelihood.

As discussed in D1, this may help the third assistant coach (good to nuetral for GT) and increase in scholarships (bad for GT overall given the HOPE scholarship advantage but good for the guys getting the additional money).

We can talk about the sport that matters here. Thoughts?
I've been thinking about this and if we move to the Big Ten, we would dominate that conference in baseball. Now, I don't think anything is going to happen with the ACC though. I'm thinking that the ACC will add Notre Dame and somebody like West Virginia, Houston, or Penn State (which seems unlikely but has been discussed). I just believe that the Big 12 will dissolve with the other 4 major conferences surviving and picking off their members.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The B1G really isn’t a bad baseball conference. They don’t get credit because they don’t have any powerhouse programs making it to the CWS every year but they’re very solid. They get out at a significant disadvantage because the season starts when the average high temps up there are in the 30s. They have limited outdoor practice time in the preseason, and spend their first month of the year on the road or playing in blistering cold.

The B1G put 5 teams in the tournament in 2019, with Michigan giving Vandy everything they were worth in the finals. The only team that made it this year was Nebraska, and they went to #1 seed Arkansas in the regionals and once again played them for everything they were worth. They only got 1 team in because of their decision to not play OOC games. In a normal year Nebraska probably hosts a regional instead of getting sent to the #1 seed.

I think it will all be a moot point because I don’t see the ACC going anywhere, but if it does and GT does look to the B1G, I would imagine there would be several other ACC teams who are more well known as “baseball schools” that would elevate the perception of B1G baseball. Maybe if UNC, UVA, Louisville, VT, NCSU, etc. made the move as well and made enough noise about playing up north in the cold, the season might get pushed back to the first weekend of March like it should be.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The B1G really isn’t a bad baseball conference. They don’t get credit because they don’t have any powerhouse programs making it to the CWS every year but they’re very solid. They get out at a significant disadvantage because the season starts when the average high temps up there are in the 30s. They have limited outdoor practice time in the preseason, and spend their first month of the year on the road or playing in blistering cold.

The B1G put 5 teams in the tournament in 2019, with Michigan giving Vandy everything they were worth in the finals. The only team that made it this year was Nebraska, and they went to #1 seed Arkansas in the regionals and once again played them for everything they were worth. They only got 1 team in because of their decision to not play OOC games. In a normal year Nebraska probably hosts a regional instead of getting sent to the #1 seed.

I think it will all be a moot point because I don’t see the ACC going anywhere, but if it does and GT does look to the B1G, I would imagine there would be several other ACC teams who are more well known as “baseball schools” that would elevate the perception of B1G baseball. Maybe if UNC, UVA, Louisville, VT, NCSU, etc. made the move as well and made enough noise about playing up north in the cold, the season might get pushed back to the first weekend of March like it should be.
I know that they're not a bad baseball conference, but we would instantly be looked at as the top team just based on talent through recruiting rankings.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Listened to the D1 podcast on the Texas & OU to SEC.

Mostly rehash of what they wrote. They fully expect the B1G to have another member picked off and go below 8 members before 2025. Then Texas and OU won't have to pay $100M as the B1G won't be a conference any more. (That's what I heard, no idea if it's right.) They thought WVa would be a highly possible add to ACC.

But one point they brought out which was really interesting is what Texas gave up. With the Longhorn Network, they gave up a lot to be one of 16.

Wonder if there may be a business case there which will have ND come to ACC in football?

Bottom line is for GT this doesn't appear to matter a lot right now. But there are a lot of other changes coming .........

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
That D1 pod cast was good.

What teams could we or should we recruit to the ACC? I’ve heard talks of WV. Who else? ECU, Coastal? Would we go after Texas tech - As close to the Atlantic as they are Pacific, but a ***** to get to. You guys k is more about college baseball and history than I do

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I know that they're not a bad baseball conference, but we would instantly be looked at as the top team just based on talent through recruiting rankings.
Well, that depends on who wants to stay at GT or go to another school if we are in the B1G. Part of the allure of playing baseball at GT is getting a great education. The other part is playing high level baseball with an ACC/SEC schedule. Moving to the B1G changes the dynamic of players that are on the team, as well as players that want to commit to the team. I've thought about this significantly since Georgia Tech was rumored to be a candidate to join the Big 10 years ago. Would be great for me to see us play more often, as I live in Cincinnati, but my thought at the time was that it would be a death knell for our baseball program in terms of recruiting top players to come play for us.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

What teams could we or should we recruit to the ACC? I’ve heard talks of WV. Who else? ECU, Coastal? Would we go after Texas tech - As close to the Atlantic as they are Pacific, but a ***** to get to. You guys k is more about college baseball and history than I do
Academically, perhaps Texas Tech and Iowa State? Don't know much about Texas Tech's academics, but Iowa State is an Engineering school. I wouldn't think that WVU would have the academics to be an ACC candidate, but at this point of the conference realignment conversation, who knows...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Yup, their podcasts are good background discussion.

For the ACC, new teams is all about football, football and a touch of basketball. If baseball were a consideration, ECU and Coastal would be really cool since they have programs that usually hit above their weight.

As to Texas Tech, it is about 1100 miles to ATL. But then I checked and that's the distance to Boston. So while it wouldn't matter for football too much, all the other collegiate sports would have a hard time with travel. And Lubbock isn't a hub is it? Boston to ATL is easy on a non-stop.

But maybe we have Texas Tech for football only and then exclude ND from any ACC football games. Won't happen but nice to think about.
Academically, perhaps Texas Tech and Iowa State? Don't know much about Texas Tech's academics, but Iowa State is an Engineering school. I wouldn't think that WVU would have the academics to be an ACC candidate, but at this point of the conference realignment conversation, who knows...

L'Ville has the academics?

I think we on this board are the only ones who consider academics. Doubt it's on ESPN or D1 conversations.

LibertyTurns

Banned
As to Texas Tech, it is about 1100 miles to ATL. But then I checked and that's the distance to Boston. So while it wouldn't matter for football too much, all the other collegiate sports would have a hard time with travel. And Lubbock isn't a hub is it? Boston to ATL is easy on a non-stop.
Lubbock, I’m sure it’s a hugely attractive destination if you’re living in Tohoka.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
TxTech is decent academics but Lubbock. 🤢. It’s a 8itch to get to. Good for football and basketball too I think. Good baseball.
i think the more southern conference and competition is attractive. Better weather and season play. People come to GT to play in ATL, get a REALLY GOOD degree and get trained up. (Not in that order )

Is academics part of requirement for ACC? Bring in the ivies or Stanford? A flight is a flight…

I know the other school sports are involved and considered but why not do a baseball conference ? Vandy football and basketball suck but they dominate in baseball and bowling.
Duke and UNC basketball and lacrosse.
A baseball strong or strong baseball conference would be cool to expand.

big10 has all kinds of money due to football Not sure we want to be any part of that come or with the likes of Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State (football wise)
Big10 is not known for baseball or wasn’t when I was there at Ohio State.

I don’t follow close enough to get the draw but the money. Interesting that Texas is going to give up the longhorn network and some autonomy for the cash cow of the SEC and get back to the rivalry with A&M and Arkansas.

definitely a dominant football and baseball conference that gets even stronger and more for the analysts and tv commentators to swoon over. God they love the SEC for baseball….

Many/any other non conference schools like ND we could bring in for baseball only?

The top conference for baseball just got stronger.

We can never be #1 but need to fortify our #2 spot in National baseball conference with something doing nothing is only going to threaten/weaken than stance.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
ACC really doesn't have many good choices beyond Notre Dame. And I think that's a tough nut to crack (based on history and what ND alums I know tell me).

Football revenue is driving this bus, and the impetus is to get better product to market...more "big time"games to offer to the streaming services especially. Baseball is (unfortunately) an afterthought in this whole process.

My understanding is that the North Carolina mafia will never, ever allow East Carolina into the ACC, nor West Virginia. Once you eliminate those, the remaining candidates are either not very attractive football draws (UCF, Houston) or remote distance-wise (remnants of the Big XII like Texas Tech and Baylor). Chatter about Penn State is total fantasy stuff, imho. I fear that the ACC will do nothing, which will leave schools like GT in a Tier 2 category with funding well below that of the SEC schools. But I also fear the impacts on other GT sports if we join (say) the Big Ten, which is the only other realistic option that makes ANY sense financially.

In other words, we're in a pickle, as far as I can see.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
But if we’re in a pickle isn’t the NC mafia as well? Grow or die or fortify the 2nd tier someway, somehow. No?

What are they afraid of allowing them into the conference. Not a threat outside of baseball are they?

What about coastal?
Baylor would be an interesting one (great academics and decent football) but you have to fly into Austin and drive 90 minutes to gross Waco.

I don’t know my NE or SE schools.

What’s up with WV besides the banjos? Yes that’s mean

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Do not know much about all of the conference realignment dynamics except that football and basketball always drive the money bus. But with that being said, Notre Dame and West Virginia make the most sense for obvious reasons. Although, it seems that there is nothing obvious about the behind the scenes politics that lead to these decisions.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Baylor football and basketball is good. Baseball not too shabby either and great academics if we need to expand the ACC west….

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we are looking at the glass on 80% full here as being in a pickle. GT/ACC is getting a lot of money and have the second best $$ conference and baseball conference. Could we get more. Sure. Less, sure.

No telling what is going to happen over the next 14 years to 2035. Every chance with so many other things to watch other than college football that there will be less money at some point. And the many ways to pirate/share content could decrease value.

Besides, it really doesn't affect GT baseball much.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
But if we’re in a pickle isn’t the NC mafia as well? Grow or die or fortify the 2nd tier someway, somehow. No?

What are they afraid of allowing them into the conference. Not a threat outside of baseball are they?

What about coastal?
Baylor would be an interesting one (great academics and decent football) but you have to fly into Austin and drive 90 minutes to gross Waco.

I don’t know my NE or SE schools.

What’s up with WV besides the banjos? Yes that’s mean
A ton of fans/schools in the ACC dislike WVU, including mostly UVa and VPI&SU. I am not certain the whys and wherefores, but WVU certainly doesn't measure up academically to most of the rest of the ACC (other than Louisville<cough, cough>), plus...well, they're hillbillies. I have. heard it said repeatedly they'd NEVER get an invite . EVER. Like....NEVER. Same goes with the NC schools and East Carolina.

That starts to limit your options unless you pick off some the the Big XII schools, like Baylor.
Heck, let's invite Okie State and then we can have all the "little brother" schools to the big bad SEC schools (Uga-GT, UF-FSU, USC-Clemson, Louisville-Kentucky, Okla-Okla State, Texas-Baylor)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think we are looking at the glass on 80% full here as being in a pickle. GT/ACC is getting a lot of money and have the second best $$ conference and baseball conference. Could we get more. Sure. Less, sure.

No telling what is going to happen over the next 14 years to 2035. Every chance with so many other things to watch other than college football that there will be less money at some point. And the many ways to pirate/share content could decrease value.

Besides, it really doesn't affect GT baseball much.
Pretty sure we are well behind both SEC and Big Ten, last time i looked, by at least $10MM per school per year. That's a lot of cookie dough. Plus they all have bigger stadiums and bigger fan bases. We are WELL behind financially to both those leagues. We are in the same category as Big XII and Pac 12 (or whatever they're up to).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty sure we are well behind both SEC and Big Ten, last time i looked, by at least $10MM per school per year. That's a lot of cookie dough. Plus they all have bigger stadiums and bigger fan bases. We are WELL behind financially to both those leagues. We are in the same category as Big XII and Pac 12 (or whatever they're up to).

Yeah $10M a year is a lot.

Georgia Tech Research Institute FY21 operating budget $645M. https://www.budgets.gatech.edu/File?F=21BudgetSummary.pdf

Wonder why GT doesn't really care about athletics? Follow the money for priorities.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just so we all see the numbers:

Total Revenue

• Big Ten: $768.9 million
  • SEC: $728.9 million
  • Pac-12: $533.8 million
  • ACC: $496.7 million
  • Big 12: $409.2 million
Per School Distributions

• Big Ten: $54.3 million
  • SEC: $45.5 million