Seating in Athens

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Been to every game since '02, save for '12. Wife (then girlfriend) went once and will not return. She was pushed against the wall while in line for the bathroom... "Tech girls don't use the restroom before us."

Separately during pregame tailgating, with others as a witness, a guy and guy friend walked up unsolicited to her with a female friend and said stte "confirms ugly girls go to Tech".

I've had bottles thrown at our group outside of the stadium, unprovoked.

Had drinks thrown at us from a few rows up (student section).

After a loss some guys jumped out of a bush a started barking at us on our way back to the car, not doing anything other than talking.

All of the above has happened in different combinations, me+wife, me+guy friends, me+mix of GT/UGA fans.

In fairness, at a home game I almost beat the s*** out of a UGA fan who came into our student block, following a GT L, and demanded his buddy to take a picture of him doing a Jesus pose in front of the scoreboard right in the middle of us. Only reason I didn't beat his a**... my friends pulled me away after I threw him down and then they went after him. Kid got up and walked away and I assure you he regretted it.

Other times I've had no trouble.

No matter what, I will be there again this year. Few better moments in life than '08 when me + buddy worked our way down next to the band and Dwyer jumpstarted the 2nd half, and then '14 with the deafening silence after both the Kick and the Pick.
Wow.....did she throw some hands?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Well Im going. Im wearing my GT gear in the UGA Lettermans club. This will be my first visit as the " enemy" I will take pics...
Mac, please provide pictures...or it didn't happen. :) Get one with Steve Dennis...you know, Urban Myers' in-law.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Well Im going. Im wearing my GT gear in the UGA Lettermans club. This will be my first visit as the " enemy" I will take pics...
Like in 2010 when I wore a Tech jersey to all my classes the Thursday and Friday before the game. I think the people at the game will be less forgiving than my classmates.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I actually presented the colors at the game that night too. I was confident in Tech that game. That was my first mistake...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Try to avoid the student section if possible. You have students there and also more rednecks who scalped their way into that (cheap) section.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been to atleast 5 of them. I've only had someone cuss me out and try to fight once, and we were near the student section. Really he was hammered and they had just lost a close game, I may have provoked it too! Other than that I've been treated well.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It depends.

I went to a game with old Jawja fans. The whole section was a country club set. Polite, restrained.

The end zones, where more visitor seats are, is chaos. Much more aggressive.

I had a good time but keep your eyes open and don't brazenly broadcast Tech on your car. Keying happens as do other pranks.

UGA has a reputation for terrible fans. Don't provoke and you'll have fun.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Haven't been to Sanford Stadium since '76 or '77, when our Pop Warner teams got to go to games for selling a certain amount of raffle tickets. Would travel in large groups from Atlanta to Athens in chartered Marta buses. Saw them play Clemson a couple times and also Vanderbilt. Tech tickets were given away to us for free back in those days, almost as an afterthought. I rooted for both teams up until '77 and became a Tech fan exclusively, since they were close by in Atlanta and I liked Pepper Rodgers's TV show better than Vince Dooley's. Don't know why I digress, only to say I haven't been there in so long it's hard to remember what it was like...

Two things I do know; my old hallmate from Techwod was there for a game back in 1997 or so. After Tech lost the game, he had to run the gauntlet of drunks and disorderlies out the stadium and through the parking lot back to his car. He said several people tried to pick fights with him along the way because he was wearing Tech gear, and that it was hard to imagine what they probably would have done to him if Tech had won. On another occasion several years ago, our local paper here in South Carolina warned Clemson fans heading to Athens what to expect there, cautioning them to be polite and not to do anything that might provoke the fans. I thought it was an incredible admission coming from the press, which ordinarily is quite PC about most things. What it says is that it's not just Tech and Tech's fans who've experienced UGA hospitality. Would like to go see Tech play there one day, though...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes they behave poorly at times...it's usually small petty stuff though. IMO most truly bad situations can be avoided so long as you don't let booze or your ego take over.

I'm fairly confident in my ability to handle myself when necessary. That said...if some mutt tries to start something with name calling etc...he can have at it and call me what he wants. I'll either ignore or try to laugh it off. That usually avoids 99% of physical battles. If it becomes a 1% problem....well he asked for it. If I'm outnumbered I'm not to proud to run for it :)

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Flea you are NOT going to do that are you? Yeah, I guess you are. Well, they are lettermen and college men so I am sure it will be fun. My bad experiences have just about always been with the idiot rednecks that never saw the inside of a college classroom. My UGA friends are to a man civilized, good people.

I have been to many Florida games with a friend who is an alumnus and opponents were always treated with respect and dignity. Completely different atmosphere.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have been to many Florida games with a friend who is an alumnus and opponents were always treated with respect and dignity. Completely different atmosphere.

My Vol friends refuse to travel to Athens. They've done it and won't repeat. Athens' rep seems to be well known.