Article Season Opener Preview: The Northern Illinois Huskies

• Highlight

Season Opener Preview: The Northern Illinois Huskies

NIU Head Coach Thomas Hammock (Justin Gasterline-Getty Images)

Toe Meets Leather in three weeks, Yellow Jackets fans. That familiar smell of preseason optimism is wafting through the air of college campuses and homes across the U.S. Every team is undefeated, and every fan's opinion is unblemished.

Contrary to popular fan opinion, success and failure will not be defined solely by those bearing headsets on the west sidelines of Bobby Dodd Stadium nor only the players in white and gold. Come week 1, there's another squad with something to say about that. Coming to Atlanta for the Jackets' 2021 season opener are the Northern Illinois Huskies. This will be the first ever head-to-head match-up between schools. With that, for many Tech fans this will be a first look at a proud program out of the Mid-American Conference (MAC).

The Huskies' recent history in the MAC is noteworthy, having won 4 conference championships in the last 10 years. They strung together 10 bowl appearances in 11 years from 2008-2018. All of this within a conference known for giving P5 teams a fit.

So what are they this year? To be determined, of course. Looking back at 2020 offers a glimpse. Coming off a disappointing 0-6 season in 2020, the Huskies have nowhere to go but up. They're led by third year Head Coach Thomas Hammock, a proud alum of the school who joined the program via assistant coaching stops at Wisconsin, Minnesota and most recently with the Baltimore Ravens.

A third year head coach, trying to right the ship, in a role that he describes as his "dream job". Sound familiar?

Winless seasons have few silver linings, and last year was no exception. The Huskies gave up 30+ points in each of their six conference-only games. They lost by 3+ scores in three of those tilts. They averaged 1.70 points per drive offensively (#104 nationally) and gave up 2.77 points per drive defensively (#96 nationally). For a relative comparison, the Duke Blue Devils' 2020 output comes close (1.63 offense, 2.77 defense). Disclaimer: that comparison does not account for strength of schedule.

But guess what? Much like many Tech fans are wont to dismiss 2020 as an anomaly, you can bet Northern Illinois is thinking the same. In a season without prior precedent, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for the Huskies to believe that. Per Phil Steele, the Huskies played 14 walk-ons last year.

Offensively, the Huskies were remarkably balanced in 2020, with 36.8 pass attempts and 36.8 rush attempts per game. That resulted in an average output of 240 yards passing and 127 yards rushing per game. Tyrice Richie, a six foot senior wideout, returns after averaging 8.8 receptions and nearly 100 yards receiving per game in 2020. The offense will likely be led by Michigan State transfer quarterback, Rocky Lombardi, who threw for 1,000+ yards, 8 TD and 9 INT during his final season with the Spartans.

Defensively, the Huskies lacked a disruptor. Only one player registered 2 sacks in 2020. They allowed 245 yards passing per game. A cornerback, 5'10" Jordan Gandy, led the team with 41 tackles. All-MAC linebacker Kyle Pugh returns after leading the squad with 3.5 TFL.

On special teams, the Huskies safely outperformed the Jackets in the placekicking game. Who didn’t?  Returning kicker John Richardson converted 7 of 9 field goal attempts in 2020, with a long of 46 yards. He was a perfect 14 for 14 on extra points.

There are reasons for optimism for Northern Illinois this year. According to collegefootballnews.com, the Huskies were really young in 2020. They bring back all five starters from the offensive line last year, a position that arguably has the greatest need for continuity and reps. They return 10 starters on defense. Phil Steele named 13 Huskies to his preseason All-MAC teams for 2021.  Safe to assume they will be an improved team.

It's also safe to say that, after putting up a donut in 2020, the Huskies have not lacked for motivation this offseason.  Combine that with their P5 opener on the road at Bobby Dodd Stadium on September 4th, and we have the all the makings of a feisty opener for the Jackets.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Our RB's are going to leave them with their jockstraps tangled in their toes and their teeth coming out of their colon.

Really? NIU? LOL.

Huskie73

Georgia Tech Fan
"There is discussion that one of NIUs defensive players has announced the plan is to get Jeff Sims out of the game as soon as possible(Injure Him)."

I just need to call out that this quote from earlier in the string is TOTAL BS. I'm pretty close to the NIU program and there's ZERO chance any player would say something remotely close to this. My God...

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
"There is discussion that one of NIUs defensive players has announced the plan is to get Jeff Sims out of the game as soon as possible(Injure Him)."

I just need to call out that this quote from earlier in the string is TOTAL BS. I'm pretty close to the NIU program and there's ZERO chance any player would say something remotely close to this. My God...
It was on a video clip that was taken down

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
@Huskie73, look. I'm not trying to be disrespectful of the NIU program. And there is a chance (about 15% if you believe the numbers) that you guys surprise us.

But let's all be honest and say that it would be a surprise to most of the college football world. It would be a VERY bad sign for our program. While our record of 3 wins might seem pathetic, please don't forget that it includes three losses to CFP-calibre teams last year (Clemson, ND, UGA).

So it's fine for your fans to say that you think you could steal this one. But to pretend that this is an easy win (as it appears on your boards) and that we are at the same level as a program is what is causing the visceral reaction on the board here. Are we rebuilding...yes we are in year 3 (sort of) of a change of schemes. But the talent level difference between the programs is large and getting larger. Nope, we aren't a Tier 1 program yet. But I think this year we make the move back into a T2 program that has been our history much of the time since our 4th National Championship in 1990.

I wish you guys well for the rest of the year. But I expect we put a beat-down on you this Saturday night. 42 - 17

Huskie73

Georgia Tech Fan
@Huskie73, look. I'm not trying to be disrespectful of the NIU program. And there is a chance (about 15% if you believe the numbers) that you guys surprise us.

But let's all be honest and say that it would be a surprise to most of the college football world. It would be a VERY bad sign for our program. While our record of 3 wins might seem pathetic, please don't forget that it includes three losses to CFP-calibre teams last year (Clemson, ND, UGA).

So it's fine for your fans to say that you think you could steal this one. But to pretend that this is an easy win (as it appears on your boards) and that we are at the same level as a program is what is causing the visceral reaction on the board here. Are we rebuilding...yes we are in year 3 (sort of) of a change of schemes. But the talent level difference between the programs is large and getting larger. Nope, we aren't a Tier 1 program yet. But I think this year we make the move back into a T2 program that has been our history much of the time since our 4th National Championship in 1990.

I wish you guys well for the rest of the year. But I expect we put a beat-down on you this Saturday night. 42 - 17
Last post, I promise. Let's be honest and no disrespect meant as this board likes to say... there's like 1 guy or 2 on the NIU board who's talking a big game because he's probably butt hurt by the arrogance on this board and drank too much kool aid during the offseason. Every board has that guy. Don't forget the majority of posters over there predict a 2TD win by GT, as do I. I don't expect a blowout. GTs presser made it pretty clear they don't even know what the top offensive weapons they should be focusing on (hint it's not Richie #3) and he calls out our 4th string RB who wont even play as being "good", but whatever, scheme is more important than players I suppose. The best part is, we're all going to find out in a few short days and nobody has an excuse.

As for the video, I watched the presser live and don't recall any comment close to "hurt the QB", that would have stood out. Maybe he was trying to say something like make him 1 dimensional and had a poor choice of words as 19 year olds do, I don't know. He's a good kid from Georgia excited to come home and play. I too wish you all the best after Saturday. Counting on GT to make me some good coin during conference play. That is a brutal schedule full of opportunity to earn big time respect.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Last post, I promise. Let's be honest and no disrespect meant as this board likes to say... there's like 1 guy or 2 on the NIU board who's talking a big game because he's probably butt hurt by the arrogance on this board and drank too much kool aid during the offseason. Every board has that guy. Don't forget the majority of posters over there predict a 2TD win by GT, as do I. I don't expect a blowout. GTs presser made it pretty clear they don't even know what the top offensive weapons they should be focusing on (hint it's not Richie #3) and he calls out our 4th string RB who wont even play as being "good", but whatever, scheme is more important than players I suppose. The best part is, we're all going to find out in a few short days and nobody has an excuse.

As for the video, I watched the presser live and don't recall any comment close to "hurt the QB", that would have stood out. Maybe he was trying to say something like make him 1 dimensional and had a poor choice of words as 19 year olds do, I don't know. He's a good kid from Georgia excited to come home and play. I too wish you all the best after Saturday. Counting on GT to make me some good coin during conference play. That is a brutal schedule full of opportunity to earn big time respect.

And I'm hoping that we both come out of this healthy and better prepared for our conference games!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For those who have not watched the NIU presser, NIU HC Wommack said he was doing this in response to our unwillingness to put out a traditional depth chart. Kind of fun gamesmanship.

It's somewhat moot though since NIU brings back so many starters. QB is a wild card and a big one at that, but obviously our coaches have ways to triangulate around what to expect there given QB1 is known.

jacket38

Jolly Good Fellow
They seem to have the size in the trenches, so that should be a good match for our guys there. Skill positions is where we win the match. Excited for some football finally.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
For those who have not watched the NIU presser, NIU HC Wommack said he was doing this in response to our unwillingness to put out a traditional depth chart. Kind of fun gamesmanship.

It's somewhat moot though since NIU brings back so many starters. QB is a wild card and a big one at that, but obviously our coaches have ways to triangulate around what to expect there given QB1 is known.

I enjoyed the presser from their coach. I like him.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I enjoyed the presser from their coach. I like him.
I agree. He seems to have touched all the right bases in preparation and seems to have done his homework on our players and coaches. I was impressed that he knows CGC special team history which mostly comes from Temple (certainly would not have to worry about our ST play from the past two seasons). Like any game we need to play our best on Saturday and take this team seriously. A well coached team, regardless of being outmanned, can often give you fits in the first half so you have to maintain your poise and the level of effort to put them away.