Article Season Opener Preview: The Northern Illinois Huskies

• Highlight

Season Opener Preview: The Northern Illinois Huskies

NIU Head Coach Thomas Hammock (Justin Gasterline-Getty Images)

Toe Meets Leather in three weeks, Yellow Jackets fans. That familiar smell of preseason optimism is wafting through the air of college campuses and homes across the U.S. Every team is undefeated, and every fan's opinion is unblemished.

Contrary to popular fan opinion, success and failure will not be defined solely by those bearing headsets on the west sidelines of Bobby Dodd Stadium nor only the players in white and gold. Come week 1, there's another squad with something to say about that. Coming to Atlanta for the Jackets' 2021 season opener are the Northern Illinois Huskies. This will be the first ever head-to-head match-up between schools. With that, for many Tech fans this will be a first look at a proud program out of the Mid-American Conference (MAC).

The Huskies' recent history in the MAC is noteworthy, having won 4 conference championships in the last 10 years. They strung together 10 bowl appearances in 11 years from 2008-2018. All of this within a conference known for giving P5 teams a fit.

So what are they this year? To be determined, of course. Looking back at 2020 offers a glimpse. Coming off a disappointing 0-6 season in 2020, the Huskies have nowhere to go but up. They're led by third year Head Coach Thomas Hammock, a proud alum of the school who joined the program via assistant coaching stops at Wisconsin, Minnesota and most recently with the Baltimore Ravens.

A third year head coach, trying to right the ship, in a role that he describes as his "dream job". Sound familiar?

Winless seasons have few silver linings, and last year was no exception. The Huskies gave up 30+ points in each of their six conference-only games. They lost by 3+ scores in three of those tilts. They averaged 1.70 points per drive offensively (#104 nationally) and gave up 2.77 points per drive defensively (#96 nationally). For a relative comparison, the Duke Blue Devils' 2020 output comes close (1.63 offense, 2.77 defense). Disclaimer: that comparison does not account for strength of schedule.

But guess what? Much like many Tech fans are wont to dismiss 2020 as an anomaly, you can bet Northern Illinois is thinking the same. In a season without prior precedent, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for the Huskies to believe that. Per Phil Steele, the Huskies played 14 walk-ons last year.

Offensively, the Huskies were remarkably balanced in 2020, with 36.8 pass attempts and 36.8 rush attempts per game. That resulted in an average output of 240 yards passing and 127 yards rushing per game. Tyrice Richie, a six foot senior wideout, returns after averaging 8.8 receptions and nearly 100 yards receiving per game in 2020. The offense will likely be led by Michigan State transfer quarterback, Rocky Lombardi, who threw for 1,000+ yards, 8 TD and 9 INT during his final season with the Spartans.

Defensively, the Huskies lacked a disruptor. Only one player registered 2 sacks in 2020. They allowed 245 yards passing per game. A cornerback, 5'10" Jordan Gandy, led the team with 41 tackles. All-MAC linebacker Kyle Pugh returns after leading the squad with 3.5 TFL.

On special teams, the Huskies safely outperformed the Jackets in the placekicking game. Who didn’t?  Returning kicker John Richardson converted 7 of 9 field goal attempts in 2020, with a long of 46 yards. He was a perfect 14 for 14 on extra points.

There are reasons for optimism for Northern Illinois this year. According to collegefootballnews.com, the Huskies were really young in 2020. They bring back all five starters from the offensive line last year, a position that arguably has the greatest need for continuity and reps. They return 10 starters on defense. Phil Steele named 13 Huskies to his preseason All-MAC teams for 2021.  Safe to assume they will be an improved team.

It's also safe to say that, after putting up a donut in 2020, the Huskies have not lacked for motivation this offseason.  Combine that with their P5 opener on the road at Bobby Dodd Stadium on September 4th, and we have the all the makings of a feisty opener for the Jackets.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Given that both staff's are in the same position, and given the relative recruiting results of the past three years, GT ought to beat up on NIU.

This is not a shot at NIU, it's just that they're roughly equivalent programs at two different levels.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
NIL hasn't been the same since they went to the Orange Bowl, won the MAC, and Doeren left for NCSU. Pretty sure they were 11-0 and lost to FSU 31-10 in the Orange Bowl in 2013. Downhill ever since for a once dominant team in the MAC.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
We have had a couple of years of transformation. I believe in CGC’s approach to recruiting. I believe in his process. I believe in his coaches’ abilities( to a lesser degree).
It is now time to evaluate. The best evaluation will take place based on performance on the field. I will personally be looking for a great reduction in errors and an increase in the amount of discipline demonstrated by both players and coaches. Just do it Jackets!

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
This thread went like this:
-Preview article
-GT will win easily
-Hi I'm an NIU fan
-Here are some questions for the NIU fan
-Thanks for the info, NIU fan, but I take exception to the thought that NIU will be within 2 tds of GT at the half
-Commence infighting

I appreciate the insight from the NIU fans, because I know next to nothing about the Huskies. I'm pretty optimistic about GT this season, but season openers are hard to predict. I'm expecting something like GT 35 - NIU 21.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
As douchy as some of you are (looking at you LibertyT), as someone who does know your opponent, I would highly suggest not betting the under. I'm confident both offenses are going to put up some points. NIUs defense is questionable and going to give up more than it's fair share against any good running team. Also, have you all forgot how bad last year's tackling was for GT - yikes?!?! GT should win by a few scores. However, those folks that think they're playing against some FCS level team are ignorant and have no clue. Thanks for the warm southern hospitality as usual...
Bro I’m sorry but we are gonna beat the brakes off of y’all.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This thread went like this:
-Preview article
-GT will win easily
-Hi I'm an NIU fan
-Here are some questions for the NIU fan
-Thanks for the info, NIU fan, but I take exception to the thought that NIU will be within 2 tds of GT at the half
-Commence infighting

I appreciate the insight from the NIU fans, because I know next to nothing about the Huskies. I'm pretty optimistic about GT this season, but season openers are hard to predict. I'm expecting something like GT 35 - NIU 21.
I really hope our defense is better than that

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Our defense will be a ton better than last year.
Better line? Check.
Better linebackers? Check.
Experienced DBs who practice together? Check.
More depth? Check.
And, honestly, I'm not sure it could be worse unless they made me go out there and play...

The only real question that remains to be answered is the coaching staff. All the other parts are in place and if we aren't a lot better I think we can look to the X's and the O's.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
No data on their offense or our defense. I hope we shut everyone out, but I really will only be disappointed if we lose.
Plenty of data if you follow rosters. Athletically and depth wise, this will be the best defense since at least 2009. If they score 21, one of those will be a late meaningless TD against guys at the bottom of the ATL or not on the ATL.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Plenty of data if you follow rosters. Athletically and depth wise, this will be the best defense since at least 2009. If they score 21, one of those will be a late meaningless TD against guys at the bottom of the ATL or not on the ATL.
Oh I know there's plenty of data, but I'm talking about good data. We all kind of have an idea about how things will play out. This isn't the first time I will have ever seen a GT game. I'm just saying that if NIU scores 21, it may have to do with their offensive performance in addition to our defensive performance.

In my experience, the posters on here (and other boards) who put the most credence in their preseason educated guesses are the most butthurt (and annoying) when things don't play out exactly like they expect. In other words, don't roast the staff too bad if this game is closer than some on here are predicting.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Sims & Gibbs and company are good for about 35pts. The question is does the rest of the team have 14 pts in them. I think so. Second question is does NIU score more than 10? I think this one's a 50-50 based on whether or not we have a sloppy fumble or ill advised pass that get picked & returned.

Bottom line: We'll cover the spread and cover the over nearly by ourselves. I have to think NIU is good for more than a FG.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The SCESPN network has the game at an 18 point spread and 57.5 O/U. I think the equation then is:

GT = NI + 18
GT + NI = 57.5

2NI + 18 = 57.5
2NI = 57.5 - 18 = 39.5
NI = 19.75
GT = 37.75
CFN just came out with their prediction on this game and it was close to what you said. They put Tech as being two touchdowns better, somewhat under the 18 point spread. Frankly, if this team is within two touchdowns of Tech, we have problems. CFN seems to believe that the uncertainty lies with a questionable defense which is understandable after last year. Tech is supposed to be much better this time around. We will soon find out. As for the over/under deal, I would not be surprised to see the two teams combine for over 60 but opening day is problematic as Nebraska discovered to its sorrow.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
There is discussion that one of NIUs defensive players has announced the plan is to get Jeff Sims out of the game as soon as possible(Injure Him).

First of all... why say that publicly?
Second, do they not realize Jeff is as big as their LBs?🤣

The fan base for NIU is rather cocky as well. They think very little of GT football and fail to realize we have a top 3 running back in the nation. Their best player of all time is a scrub QB named Jordan Lynch. A glorified fullback turned into a QB. Gibbs has more talent in his toenail than their entire team combined 🤣.

Let's beat them like a drum. It's a sorry night if we don't win by 30. NIU can't get much worse than a 0-6 record in the crap MAC giving up over 400 yards a game.
We should gain over 550 yards, score 5+ TDs and hold them to under 150 total yards.

That is where I will put the over unders.

A few years ago we beat their MAC buddies down in Bowling Green by a score of 56-17. I see this game being VERY similar. We are bigger, stronger, faster, smarter. They threaten our QB we snap their whole team in half.
Let's go to battle boys. Beat them into that coconut fake grass to where they pick it out of their noses 6 weeks from now. GT forever. 🐝💪

Screenshot_20210901-003825_Chrome.jpg