Article Season Opener Preview: The Northern Illinois Huskies

• Highlight

Season Opener Preview: The Northern Illinois Huskies

NIU Head Coach Thomas Hammock (Justin Gasterline-Getty Images)

Toe Meets Leather in three weeks, Yellow Jackets fans. That familiar smell of preseason optimism is wafting through the air of college campuses and homes across the U.S. Every team is undefeated, and every fan's opinion is unblemished.

Contrary to popular fan opinion, success and failure will not be defined solely by those bearing headsets on the west sidelines of Bobby Dodd Stadium nor only the players in white and gold. Come week 1, there's another squad with something to say about that. Coming to Atlanta for the Jackets' 2021 season opener are the Northern Illinois Huskies. This will be the first ever head-to-head match-up between schools. With that, for many Tech fans this will be a first look at a proud program out of the Mid-American Conference (MAC).

The Huskies' recent history in the MAC is noteworthy, having won 4 conference championships in the last 10 years. They strung together 10 bowl appearances in 11 years from 2008-2018. All of this within a conference known for giving P5 teams a fit.

So what are they this year? To be determined, of course. Looking back at 2020 offers a glimpse. Coming off a disappointing 0-6 season in 2020, the Huskies have nowhere to go but up. They're led by third year Head Coach Thomas Hammock, a proud alum of the school who joined the program via assistant coaching stops at Wisconsin, Minnesota and most recently with the Baltimore Ravens.

A third year head coach, trying to right the ship, in a role that he describes as his "dream job". Sound familiar?

Winless seasons have few silver linings, and last year was no exception. The Huskies gave up 30+ points in each of their six conference-only games. They lost by 3+ scores in three of those tilts. They averaged 1.70 points per drive offensively (#104 nationally) and gave up 2.77 points per drive defensively (#96 nationally). For a relative comparison, the Duke Blue Devils' 2020 output comes close (1.63 offense, 2.77 defense). Disclaimer: that comparison does not account for strength of schedule.

But guess what? Much like many Tech fans are wont to dismiss 2020 as an anomaly, you can bet Northern Illinois is thinking the same. In a season without prior precedent, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for the Huskies to believe that. Per Phil Steele, the Huskies played 14 walk-ons last year.

Offensively, the Huskies were remarkably balanced in 2020, with 36.8 pass attempts and 36.8 rush attempts per game. That resulted in an average output of 240 yards passing and 127 yards rushing per game. Tyrice Richie, a six foot senior wideout, returns after averaging 8.8 receptions and nearly 100 yards receiving per game in 2020. The offense will likely be led by Michigan State transfer quarterback, Rocky Lombardi, who threw for 1,000+ yards, 8 TD and 9 INT during his final season with the Spartans.

Defensively, the Huskies lacked a disruptor. Only one player registered 2 sacks in 2020. They allowed 245 yards passing per game. A cornerback, 5'10" Jordan Gandy, led the team with 41 tackles. All-MAC linebacker Kyle Pugh returns after leading the squad with 3.5 TFL.

On special teams, the Huskies safely outperformed the Jackets in the placekicking game. Who didn’t?  Returning kicker John Richardson converted 7 of 9 field goal attempts in 2020, with a long of 46 yards. He was a perfect 14 for 14 on extra points.

There are reasons for optimism for Northern Illinois this year. According to collegefootballnews.com, the Huskies were really young in 2020. They bring back all five starters from the offensive line last year, a position that arguably has the greatest need for continuity and reps. They return 10 starters on defense. Phil Steele named 13 Huskies to his preseason All-MAC teams for 2021.  Safe to assume they will be an improved team.

It's also safe to say that, after putting up a donut in 2020, the Huskies have not lacked for motivation this offseason.  Combine that with their P5 opener on the road at Bobby Dodd Stadium on September 4th, and we have the all the makings of a feisty opener for the Jackets.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So what I hear everyone saying is if GT doesn't beat the snot out of NIU in week one, then we have something to worry about?
No, not everyone.

That’s what I’m saying. We have vastly superior talent, a coaching staff with 2 years under the belt, we’re at home first game under the lights with few injuries, etc. I expect we’re going to come out on fire, we’ll prepared, disciplined, ready to put the hammer down. We should see third stringers in the 4th quarter, 2nd stringers opening the 2nd half.
They have a coaching staff with two years under their belt, first game of the season, against a P5. They're expecting to come out on fire, well prepared, disciplined and ready to compete.

They were bad last year and therefore will remain bad this year. We were bad last year but will be improved.

Is that about right? ;)

LibertyTurns

Banned
No, not everyone.

They have a coaching staff with two years under their belt, first game of the season, against a P5. They're expecting to come out on fire, well prepared, disciplined and ready to compete.

But they'll remain bad, because they were bad last year. We were bad last year but will be improved.

Is that about right? ;)
You’re right, our coaching staff is not even Div 1-aa caliber because Choice, Key and Coleman plus Goober and Thacker are really clueless, Gibbs is a mediocre back that wouldn’t start for a real team, Sims is not really a P5 QB and can’t learn a damn thing in fact he has regressed wilting under the pressure of competition, the new transfers on the OL are weak sisters their previous schools didn’t really want, the defensive transfers are wannabe air stealers, the players out injured last year were all crap anyway and wouldn’t have played much, etc. Our whole team sucks as bad as the 7th worst team in the nation.

Oh yeah, we might be looking ahead to the K St and overlook those vicious NFL-ready stacked roster NIU Huskies, that juggernaut program about to make the jump to the SEC they’re so good.

Did I get that right? Everybody but GT is great, GT can’t do ****? What a way to start a season with such high expectations for our crappy players and staff! Hey guys, let’s try to outdo the Dookies in our race to the bottom. That’s the spirit.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You’re right, our coaching staff is not even Div 1-aa caliber because Choice, Key and Coleman plus Goober and Thacker are really clueless, Gibbs is a mediocre back that wouldn’t start for a real team, Sims is not really a P5 QB and can’t learn a damn thing in fact he has regressed wilting under the pressure of competition, the new transfers on the OL are weak sisters their previous schools didn’t really want, the defensive transfers are wannabe air stealers, the players out injured last year were all crap anyway and wouldn’t have played much, etc. Our whole team sucks as bad as the 7th worst team in the nation.

Oh yeah, we might be looking ahead to the K St and overlook those vicious NFL-ready stacked roster NIU Huskies, that juggernaut program about to make the jump to the SEC they’re so good.

Did I get that right? Everybody but GT is great, GT can’t do ****? What a way to start a season with such high expectations for our crappy players and staff! Hey guys, let’s try to outdo the Dookies in our race to the bottom. That’s the spirit.
LOL.

Our coach staff is D-1 caliber. Our players are better than theirs. Both were true last year, too.

Tell me what you know about 2021 Northern Illinois.

I'm also ok if you just want to 'fan'. It doesn't bother me at all if your comments are not meant to be taken literally. Just trying to playfully call out that most here know little to nothing about the other 50% of the equation that will dictate results on Sept 4.

We are still the game circled on most ACC opponent calendars as a win this year. Why? Because many other fans also just look at who we were last year. Those takes are shallow, too.

LibertyTurns

Banned
LOL.

Our coach staff is D-1 caliber. Our players are better than theirs. Both were true last year, too.

I'm also ok if you just want to 'fan'. It doesn't bother me at all if your comments are not meant to be taken literally. Just trying to playfully call out that most here know little to nothing about the other 50% of the equation that will dictate results on Sept 4.

We are still the game circled on most ACC opponent calendars as a win this year. Why? Because many other fans also just look at who we were last year. Those takes are shallow, too.
Sorry you can make pre-excuses all you want about the NIU game so you can say “I told you so” IF we play like crap, but this is a bad team. They have a MSU QB transfer, a DE from UCF but damn near the rest of the roster is dwag crap. Recruiting rankings last 3 years in the 90’s and 100’s. They have very little talent and if we don’t neutralize what little they got we either have a very bad staff and/or players that are highly overrated.

This is not a statement game like if we beat UNC or ND where we can say we’re back, but if we’re not getting practice reps for the back ups in the 2nd half our season is going to be very poor. There’s no reason to be making pre-excuses other than you have little regard for our players or staff. I think we have a fine team that may not win a lot, but the door mats like NIU, Dook, K St we should crush.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry you can make pre-excuses all you want about the NIU game so you can say “I told you so” IF we play like crap, but this is a bad team. They have a MSU QB transfer, a DE from UCF but damn near the rest of the roster is dwag crap. Recruiting rankings last 3 years in the 90’s and 100’s. They have very little talent and if we don’t neutralize what little they got we either have a very bad staff and/or players that are highly overrated.

This is not a statement game like if we beat UNC or ND where we can say we’re back, but if we’re not getting practice reps for the back ups in the 2nd half our season is going to be very poor. There’s no reason to be making pre-excuses other than you have little regard for our players or staff. I think we have a fine team that may not win a lot, but the door mats like NIU, Dook, K St we should crush.
I'll bow out. There are no pre-excuses. Just attempts to add context. And I appreciate your POV.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
LOL.

I do.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I really don't understand all the fearfulness about playing NIU? Do we really have that many fans that lack confidence in our team to perform as expected? We'd had one really bad loss in the last 2 seasons, maybe 4 other bad losses if you count the VT shutout & Clemson and Dwag blowout games, but most other games we weren't awful, just not competitive. Geez, I wish we could put CGC & his staff's early struggles behind us and stop using that as a measuring stick to figure out how poorly we may play. NIU has a few good players, but most of their team we would not offer a scholarship to. They were a good program Our strength and conditioning program has been revitalized and our football players now look like P5 football players should. We have better coaches, better facilities, better everything and our players are smarter plus we have great depth. We're not playing in the noon heat where someone may cramp up and let a big play happen. We're good under the lights historically. What's not to like about the set up of this game? I'll say it again, GT wins by at least 24. It may very well end up a 49 point blowout, but I believe CGC gets everybody in the game he can including those so far below the line they can't even see where the line is. The only back up we don't use is the punter because the starting punter is not put into the game unless we're using him to hold the ball on extra points. There will be immense joy on the Flats and everyone except the couple NIU fans on hand to witness the slaughter will go home happy. Maybe my previous 3 sentences are an exaggeration, but we win this one easily and we will see quite a bit of the roster used in mop up duty.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is why I say that this first game will tell us a lot about our team. This is not like playing Acorn St. They are big and ready to prove something. We need to prove something as well.
I knew there was something strange about this team being in the infamous "Bottom Ten". From 2010 to 2014 the Huskies had a remarkable run of excellent seasons with 57 wins and only 13 losses. Their WORST record was 11-3 which occurred three times: 2014, 2011, and 2010. Two other years they were 12-2. Since then, they went from merely mediocre with records like 8-6 in 2015 to last year's winless debacle in a COVID shortened season of 0-6 In that five year span they were 34-37. Even in the MAC it is short way from the penthouse to the outhouse. IIWII.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
A lot of folks haven't followed college football closely enough or maybe long enough to know that week 1 is not a gauge of the season to come. Will we beat NIU? Yes, we are at home at night with better talent. However, the sentiment that "if we don't blow them out we are a bad team" is just dumb.

Go look at 1989--Ross' 3rd year. We lost the first 3 and won 7 of the last 8. I don't expect to lose the first 2, but I do expect this to be a much better team in November than in September--barring a rash of injuries.

Huskie73

Georgia Tech Fan
This poster is making me think about taking the under, fellas
As douchy as some of you are (looking at you LibertyT), as someone who does know your opponent, I would highly suggest not betting the under. I'm confident both offenses are going to put up some points. NIUs defense is questionable and going to give up more than it's fair share against any good running team. Also, have you all forgot how bad last year's tackling was for GT - yikes?!?! GT should win by a few scores. However, those folks that think they're playing against some FCS level team are ignorant and have no clue. Thanks for the warm southern hospitality as usual...

JacketEagle98

Georgia Tech Fan
As douchy as some of you are (looking at you LibertyT), as someone who does know your opponent, I would highly suggest not betting the under. I'm confident both offenses are going to put up some points. NIUs defense is questionable and going to give up more than it's fair share against any good running team. Also, have you all forgot how bad last year's tackling was for GT - yikes?!?! GT should win by a few scores. However, those folks that think they're playing against some FCS level team are ignorant and have no clue. Thanks for the warm southern hospitality as usual...
That’s it. I’m taking the under!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I commend you for coming here but NIU is dumpster juice. Jeff Sims and Jahmyr Gibbs will put on a clinic on your defense and will be pulled in the second quarter

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m going to keep it straight with you. We play a tougher team than NIU in week 2, Kennesaw State.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I really don't understand all the fearfulness about playing NIU? Do we really have that many fans that lack confidence in our team to perform as expected? We'd had one really bad loss in the last 2 seasons, maybe 4 other bad losses if you count the VT shutout & Clemson and Dwag blowout games, but most other games we weren't awful, just not competitive. Geez, I wish we could put CGC & his staff's early struggles behind us and stop using that as a measuring stick to figure out how poorly we may play. NIU has a few good players, but most of their team we would not offer a scholarship to. They were a good program Our strength and conditioning program has been revitalized and our football players now look like P5 football players should. We have better coaches, better facilities, better everything and our players are smarter plus we have great depth. We're not playing in the noon heat where someone may cramp up and let a big play happen. We're good under the lights historically. What's not to like about the set up of this game? I'll say it again, GT wins by at least 24. It may very well end up a 49 point blowout, but I believe CGC gets everybody in the game he can including those so far below the line they can't even see where the line is. The only back up we don't use is the punter because the starting punter is not put into the game unless we're using him to hold the ball on extra points. There will be immense joy on the Flats and everyone except the couple NIU fans on hand to witness the slaughter will go home happy. Maybe my previous 3 sentences are an exaggeration, but we win this one easily and we will see quite a bit of the roster used in mop up duty.
I understand the "fearfulness" if you remember this team has in the recent past lost to the Citadel, suffered an historic blowout by Clemson and has won three games in each of the past two seasons but at some point the players will put all that behind them and have to start playing with confidence which will eventually seep into the fan base. Given the quality of the opponent, a team that was winless last year, a team that starts the season in the doghouse of the infamous "Bottom Ten", an opponent that is slated by most observers to be in the basement of a G-5 conference it should be a 5 touchdown or so blowout but stranger things have happened on opening day. I understand we have a challenging schedule with five top 25 teams on the slate but the current set up of playing two pasties to start the season should be of benefit to our team in building confidence with meaningful snaps. We will see how it all pans out soon enough.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Our confidence in this game has less to do with NIU specifically, and more to do with the fact that we've gone 2 years averaging like 18 points a game, and now we (think) we finally have all the pieces in place to make some big waves.