Article Season Opener Preview: The Northern Illinois Huskies

• Highlight

Season Opener Preview: The Northern Illinois Huskies

NIU Head Coach Thomas Hammock (Justin Gasterline-Getty Images)

Toe Meets Leather in three weeks, Yellow Jackets fans. That familiar smell of preseason optimism is wafting through the air of college campuses and homes across the U.S. Every team is undefeated, and every fan's opinion is unblemished.

Contrary to popular fan opinion, success and failure will not be defined solely by those bearing headsets on the west sidelines of Bobby Dodd Stadium nor only the players in white and gold. Come week 1, there's another squad with something to say about that. Coming to Atlanta for the Jackets' 2021 season opener are the Northern Illinois Huskies. This will be the first ever head-to-head match-up between schools. With that, for many Tech fans this will be a first look at a proud program out of the Mid-American Conference (MAC).

The Huskies' recent history in the MAC is noteworthy, having won 4 conference championships in the last 10 years. They strung together 10 bowl appearances in 11 years from 2008-2018. All of this within a conference known for giving P5 teams a fit.

So what are they this year? To be determined, of course. Looking back at 2020 offers a glimpse. Coming off a disappointing 0-6 season in 2020, the Huskies have nowhere to go but up. They're led by third year Head Coach Thomas Hammock, a proud alum of the school who joined the program via assistant coaching stops at Wisconsin, Minnesota and most recently with the Baltimore Ravens.

A third year head coach, trying to right the ship, in a role that he describes as his "dream job". Sound familiar?

Winless seasons have few silver linings, and last year was no exception. The Huskies gave up 30+ points in each of their six conference-only games. They lost by 3+ scores in three of those tilts. They averaged 1.70 points per drive offensively (#104 nationally) and gave up 2.77 points per drive defensively (#96 nationally). For a relative comparison, the Duke Blue Devils' 2020 output comes close (1.63 offense, 2.77 defense). Disclaimer: that comparison does not account for strength of schedule.

But guess what? Much like many Tech fans are wont to dismiss 2020 as an anomaly, you can bet Northern Illinois is thinking the same. In a season without prior precedent, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for the Huskies to believe that. Per Phil Steele, the Huskies played 14 walk-ons last year.

Offensively, the Huskies were remarkably balanced in 2020, with 36.8 pass attempts and 36.8 rush attempts per game. That resulted in an average output of 240 yards passing and 127 yards rushing per game. Tyrice Richie, a six foot senior wideout, returns after averaging 8.8 receptions and nearly 100 yards receiving per game in 2020. The offense will likely be led by Michigan State transfer quarterback, Rocky Lombardi, who threw for 1,000+ yards, 8 TD and 9 INT during his final season with the Spartans.

Defensively, the Huskies lacked a disruptor. Only one player registered 2 sacks in 2020. They allowed 245 yards passing per game. A cornerback, 5'10" Jordan Gandy, led the team with 41 tackles. All-MAC linebacker Kyle Pugh returns after leading the squad with 3.5 TFL.

On special teams, the Huskies safely outperformed the Jackets in the placekicking game. Who didn’t?  Returning kicker John Richardson converted 7 of 9 field goal attempts in 2020, with a long of 46 yards. He was a perfect 14 for 14 on extra points.

There are reasons for optimism for Northern Illinois this year. According to collegefootballnews.com, the Huskies were really young in 2020. They bring back all five starters from the offensive line last year, a position that arguably has the greatest need for continuity and reps. They return 10 starters on defense. Phil Steele named 13 Huskies to his preseason All-MAC teams for 2021.  Safe to assume they will be an improved team.

It's also safe to say that, after putting up a donut in 2020, the Huskies have not lacked for motivation this offseason.  Combine that with their P5 opener on the road at Bobby Dodd Stadium on September 4th, and we have the all the makings of a feisty opener for the Jackets.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all, NIU fan here. This feels about right.
I know a lot of you are expecting to mop us but the reality is we’re in the same position as GT, but at a G5 level of course. The staff is entering year 3 but due to a late hire and Covid he’s only had 1 “real” recruiting class. Last year we had 45 freshman and used the 6 games as a preseason, playing a number of under sized under coached true freshman to see what we had. A lot has changed since these guys have had time to build up their bodies and get some coaching. Lazy media and posters see the record and dismiss us this year. That’s a big mistake.

The jury is still out on our team and staff but there’s a lot of optimism for this season, just like for GT. The roster weights are a joke and loaded with true freshman numbers that have not been updated. The size advantage won’t be as big as it seems, nor should the depth. There’s no proof to say we’ll be the usual NIU that has a winning record against the Big10 the last decade, but do expect us to show up and bring the fight. We’re optimistic about our O this year. Secondary is a ? as well as our DL getting pressure. Supposedly our DL is much improved and deeper this year. GTs QB (sorry forgot his name) running scares the hell out of me, just hoping he still sucks at being a QB. Personally I think he’ll take a big step forward this year as well as your revamped OL. Bottom line, we just need both teams to stay healthy for conference play. GT should win by 1-2 scores, but if NIU plays them tough you guys really shouldn’t lose confidence. Nothing pisses me off more than beating P5s and instead of getting credit the coaches/players/fans make excuses. It’s opening day, no one has an excuse not to be up. NIU is not going south for a paycheck, they’re coming for the win. I think both teams are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Best of luck the rest of the way!

Oh, if anyone has specific questions I’d be happy to provide insight.
You're failing to address some of the predictions above that 2021 Georgia Tech should beat the crap out of 2020 Northern Illinois. You were a bad team in 2020, and therefore must remain bad this year. Please note, that logic does extend to Georgia Tech because we know better.

;)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know a lot of you are expecting to mop us but the reality is we’re in the same position as GT, but at a G5 level of course. The staff is entering year 3 but due to a late hire and Covid he’s only had 1 “real” recruiting class. Last year we had 45 freshman and used the 6 games as a preseason, playing a number of under sized under coached true freshman to see what we had. A lot has changed since these guys have had time to build up their bodies and get some coaching. Lazy media and posters see the record and dismiss us this year. That’s a big mistake.

The jury is still out on our team and staff but there’s a lot of optimism for this season, just like for GT. The roster weights are a joke and loaded with true freshman numbers that have not been updated. The size advantage won’t be as big as it seems, nor should the depth. There’s no proof to say we’ll be the usual NIU that has a winning record against the Big10 the last decade, but do expect us to show up and bring the fight. We’re optimistic about our O this year. Secondary is a ? as well as our DL getting pressure. Supposedly our DL is much improved and deeper this year. GTs QB (sorry forgot his name) running scares the hell out of me, just hoping he still sucks at being a QB. Personally I think he’ll take a big step forward this year as well as your revamped OL. Bottom line, we just need both teams to stay healthy for conference play. GT should win by 1-2 scores, but if NIU plays them tough you guys really shouldn’t lose confidence. Nothing pisses me off more than beating P5s and instead of getting credit the coaches/players/fans make excuses. It’s opening day, no one has an excuse not to be up. NIU is not going south for a paycheck, they’re coming for the win. I think both teams are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Best of luck the rest of the way!

Living here in Chicagoland, I have plenty of neighbors and friends that are either NIU alum or follow the team. Been to games out in Dekalb. I stand by what I wrote and that is based on my understanding of NIU as a casual follower. I think it will be a double-digit lead at the half (10 to 15 points) and the final score will be a 4-5 TD difference when the final whistle blows. It could be closer than that because first games are always unpredictable. However, the gap between where GT is in Year 3 and where NIU is in Year 3 is bigger than normal based on what I've heard and read. But, as you know, that's why we play the games.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Btw, thanks for the post and added insights.

One point of disagreement: A little harsh - borderline outright wrong - that Sims (GT QB) sucked in 2020. He was a true freshman, with almost no proper preparation, and I still disagree with that label of his performance. He had some issues but improved throughout the year with his presence and decision-making the back half of the year.

I'd take Sims last year over Lombardi last year. And our guy has more upside and reasons to improve this year, imo.

slugboy

Staff member

• Based on spring practice or just buzz, are there any players that stand out, like "our TE is a matchup nightmare" or "this guy is a maniac and the key to our defense" or "this guy is flat out the fastest I've ever seen on a football field, and he was out most of last year--watch him"?
  • Is there anything about your offensive or defensive scheme or coaching style ("we never punt") that's unusual that we should be aware of?
  • What are you looking forward to seeing in the game?
  • What does NIU do better than anyone else?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I read somewhere that NIU's whole offense line is back from last season. That bodes well for any team.
Questions
  1. How good is your field goal unit?
  2. Was your red-zone offense successful last year?
  3. How well did your special teams play last year?
  4. Where do most of your recruits come from?

Huskie73

Georgia Tech Fan
Btw, thanks for the post and added insights.

One point of disagreement: A little harsh - borderline outright wrong - that Sims (GT QB) sucked in 2020. He was a true freshman, with almost no proper preparation, and I still disagree with that label of his performance. He had some issues but improved throughout the year with his presence and decision-making the back half of the year.

I'd take Sims last year over Lombardi last year. And our guy has more upside and reasons to improve this year, imo.
Good point about Sims. That kid's definitely going to make some noise. Your description of his performance last year perfectly describes most of our team.

Huskie73

Georgia Tech Fan
  • Based on spring practice or just buzz, are there any players that stand out, like "our TE is a matchup nightmare" or "this guy is a maniac and the key to our defense" or "this guy is flat out the fastest I've ever seen on a football field, and he was out most of last year--watch him"?
  • Is there anything about your offensive or defensive scheme or coaching style ("we never punt") that's unusual that we should be aware of?
  • What are you looking forward to seeing in the game?
  • What does NIU do better than anyone else?
Here’s what I’ll say without dumping an entire scouting report.

Offense – I won’t list Lombardi since many have already judged him, but we’ll see if the staff can put him in better positions to succeed. Expect a balanced offense.
  • RB – #30 Harrison Waylee (5-10 190 Covid Fr.) pure speedster. As a true freshman last year Waylee showed signs but was undersized. He’s gained 20+ lbs during the offseason without losing a step. Unit goes 6 deep not including incoming freshman Antario Brown from Savannah Georgia (flipped South Carolina commit) and #21 Erin Collins, power back who played his freshman year at NC State.
  • FB – #25 Clint Ratkovich (6-1 228 R-Sr.) swiss army knife grad transfer from D2 WIU. Most excited about this guy. I have a lot to say but will resist.
  • WR - #3 Tyrice Richie (6-0 194 R-Sr.) one of the best receivers in the MAC and on a mission his senior year. Think Antonio Brown type from his CMU days before losing his mind in Pittsburgh. The WRs are 8-9 deep but young.
  • TE - #80 Miles Joiner (6-4 250 R-Jr.) another D2 transfer. We’ll see what we got…supposedly the real deal.
Defense – Have we turned the corner or will inconsistency from the youngsters remain an issue?
  • DT - #1 James Ester (6-3 300 R-Fr.) has consistently been in the backfield during practice, asked to back off at times. I don’t know if that says more about the OL, but he should provide some much needed disruption.
  • S - #3 Devin Lafayette (6-2 195 Covid Fr.) from Brunswick GA. Played all MAC level as a freshman and looks the part.
  • LB – We lost our 4 year starter / 7th year ML to injury but should have enough depth to still be the best unit on the D.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Sims may be much improved, but the real concern for NIU will be containing Gibbs. Gibbs may be the best running back ever at Georgia Tech. If you don't stop him on the first hit, he's gone.

Huskie73

Georgia Tech Fan
Living here in Chicagoland, I have plenty of neighbors and friends that are either NIU alum or follow the team. Been to games out in Dekalb. I stand by what I wrote and that is based on my understanding of NIU as a casual follower. I think it will be a double-digit lead at the half (10 to 15 points) and the final score will be a 4-5 TD difference when the final whistle blows. It could be closer than that because first games are always unpredictable. However, the gap between where GT is in Year 3 and where NIU is in Year 3 is bigger than normal based on what I've heard and read. But, as you know, that's why we play the games.
Well that sucks. Hope you're wrong. :) I don't know enough about GT to make predictions, but I've been following their fall camp a bit and reading up. I'll say this... NIU is a small program. Guys like me throughout spring and fall attend most practices and every scrimmage, getting very close. My observations have nothing to do with what I've read or heard. Casual fans really don't know much about MAC schools because they and the media pay very little attention.

Huskie73

Georgia Tech Fan
I read somewhere that NIU's whole offense line is back from last season. That bodes well for any team.
Questions
  1. How good is your field goal unit?
  2. Was your red-zone offense successful last year?
  3. How well did your special teams play last year?
  4. Where do most of your recruits come from?
OL is indeed back. Started to gel late last year once staff got the mix right. Hope they'll take the next step on 9/4.
1. Field goad unit is solid. Kicker hasn't got a ton of opportunities but hasn't missed an extra point in his 2 years and went 7 of 9 in FGs last year. Has a pretty big leg. Staff has full confidence in him up to 50+ yards.
2. Our offense was not good last year in any zone. There's a reason we went to the portal to upgrade TE, RB & QB. Every position group is expected to take a step forward this year.
3. Special teams was a bright spot. Best punter in school history (Ray Guy Award watchlist) and consistent FG kicker. Returner earned freshman All-American honors but that could have a lot to do with him getting so many opportunities due to less than impressive defense. Doesn't everyone have that fast guy??
4. Recruits come from different areas based on position. OL is pretty much always big *** farm boys from Wisconsin and Iowa. They can't all go to the Big Ten and we put guys in the league regularly. We used to rely on the south i.e. Florida, GA, TX for speed like everyone else, but tend to do less of that with this staff. We've got good pipelines set up in New Jersey (coaches hometown), MI, IN, MO and of course the great majority out of the Chicagoland area.
Thanks for asking.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
NIU is not going south for a paycheck, they’re coming for the win.
Honestly, this is pretty funny. By the 2nd quarter the handwriting will be on the wall. The only way this game is close is if we come out completely undisciplined and Patenoude tries a bunch of weird plays. Not likely to happen after the Citadel debacle as him & Thacker are probably one more embarrassing disaster away from taking the pipe. CGC had to have learned his lesson & either CGC himself or Key will take over the offense or defense at the half should that occur. We'll still roll NIU even if that's the case. Sims development has been tremendous & he's bolstered by a RB corps that damn near any P5 team not named Alabama would want. You got Jamyr Gibbs an NFL potential 1st round draft pick, you got an All-ACC Rb (Mason) as back up, and then there's little to no drop off behind them as Griffin & Smith would tear you up. Add to that multiple upgrades on the OL & you got an offense that NIU just won't stop. We'll score 56 so to keep it close you'll have to either have a bunch of turnovers giving you a short field or our D will have to unravel before our eyes. Turnovers is the only likely scenario because we're just too talented on D to let NIU manhandle us. Maybe you score 35 & we all leave Bobby Dodd pissed at Thacker OR Patenoude tinkers around too much and we want to skewer him after the game but there's no way both if these things happen the same day. It's likely a 56-17, possibly 49-24 type day.

Enjoy Atlanta if you're coming down. It's a fun town, but this football game is not going to be fun at all for NIU.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, this is pretty funny. By the 2nd quarter the handwriting will be on the wall. The only way this game is close is if we come out completely undisciplined and Patenoude tries a bunch of weird plays. Not likely to happen after the Citadel debacle as him & Thacker are probably one more embarrassing disaster away from taking the pipe. CGC had to have learned his lesson & either CGC himself or Key will take over the offense or defense at the half should that occur. We'll still roll NIU even if that's the case. Sims development has been tremendous & he's bolstered by a RB corps that damn near any P5 team not named Alabama would want. You got Jamyr Gibbs an NFL potential 1st round draft pick, you got an All-ACC Rb (Mason) as back up, and then there's little to no drop off behind them as Griffin & Smith would tear you up. Add to that multiple upgrades on the OL & you got an offense that NIU just won't stop. We'll score 56 so to keep it close you'll have to either have a bunch of turnovers giving you a short field or our D will have to unravel before our eyes. Turnovers is the only likely scenario because we're just too talented on D to let NIU manhandle us. Maybe you score 35 & we all leave Bobby Dodd pissed at Thacker OR Patenoude tinkers around too much and we want to skewer him after the game but there's no way both if these things happen the same day. It's likely a 56-17, possibly 49-24 type day.

Enjoy Atlanta if you're coming down. It's a fun town, but this football game is not going to be fun at all for NIU.
I AM HOPING YOU ARE RIGHT!
KIND OF CONCERNED THAT OUR DEFENSE CANT STOP THE RUN AND THEY BREAK A COUPLE OF LONG GAINS WHILE BURING THE CLOCK.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Well that sucks. Hope you're wrong. :) I don't know enough about GT to make predictions, but I've been following their fall camp a bit and reading up. I'll say this... NIU is a small program. Guys like me throughout spring and fall attend most practices and every scrimmage, getting very close. My observations have nothing to do with what I've read or heard. Casual fans really don't know much about MAC schools because they and the media pay very little attention.
If the coaching staff is allowing fans to come in and watch practice during the preseason, that's great. Even the NFL allows it. We use to be able to watch summer practice years ago, but that all got shut down once fans started videoing certain aspects of practice.

Huskie73

Georgia Tech Fan

Nice cherry pick. My point was that we're not going to roll over and these kids believe in themselves. I'll take the cover on your 39 pt. spread prediction all day LoL

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Nice cherry pick. My point was that we're not going to roll over and these kids believe in themselves. I'll take the cover on your 39 pt. spread prediction all day LoL
I'll take any bet you want to make about coming here to win.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So what I hear everyone saying is if GT doesn't beat the snot out of NIU in week one, then we have something to worry about?
That’s what I’m saying. We have vastly superior talent, a coaching staff with 2 years under the belt, we’re at home first game under the lights with few injuries, etc. I expect we’re going to come out on fire, we’ll prepared, disciplined, ready to put the hammer down. We should see third stringers in the 4th quarter, 2nd stringers opening the 2nd half.