Scrimmage notes 4/5

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
- CPJ not happy

- Offense wasn't good

- All around bad performances today from the offense

- Defense clear winner of the practice

- Gotsis had a good showing today.

- Autry, Jeune, Days, Perkins, Gamble were a few that were out today.

- Laskey has a good grip on the starting job still.

- Custis starting to catch on.

- Was told that Durham still has a lot to learn but that you can see the potential.

BranMart

Georgia Tech Fan
Will say I have enjoyed watching Gotsis's growth.

When is CPJ ever happy?

Maybe the offense is not bad, maybe we are starting to get the defenders that VT and Miami seem to flummox us with every year????

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot of new pieces on offense and the defense is much less complicated. Defenses are supposed to be ahead of the offense at this point. Still would like to hear some good news from both sides of the ball.

Very true. The same thing occurs in the NFL and those guys are professionals. I will say though that we need this years offense to play well and play well against good teams more consistently. The guys in 09 only had one year with the system and they seems to understand it pretty well. I'm not sure what takes these guys longer? Maybe we're more complex now but it doesn't seem to make our offense any better. If we can stay at similar levels of production from last year but become more consistent on both sides of the ball we should easily win 9 games with our schedule this year.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like the ball was on the ground quite a bit today. I guess that is to be expected with a new QB and center. We really need Laskey/Smelter and Shaq to step up and be leaders on offense this year. They need to provide that senior leadership that every team needs by performance and not on social media.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
when was the last time something good was said about the offense? I feel like every spring, I hear how terrible we are and so on. How much does this offense hurt our development because it seems we have to start over every year

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
A few of the highlights from Saturday morning:

n Senior LB Quayshawn Nealy enjoyed a good scrimmage. He sacked quarterback Justin Thomas on a big third-down play, and later intercepted Thomas and returned it 15 yards for a touchdown.

n Senior AB Tony Zenon gave the offense a highlight early on with a 27-yard touchdown run.

n Sophomore Harrison Butker was 2-of-2 on field goal attempts, including a long of 42 yards.

n Sophomore DB Zach Allen picked up a fumble and ran 40 yards for a touchdown.

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric, do you see us maybe using a tradition Ace or I formation in the future? I see that we are getting more pro type big O linemen. I think going to a power formation like I form woke benefit us more than pistol. What do y'all think?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like the ball was on the ground quite a bit today. I guess that is to be expected with a new QB and center. We really need Laskey/Smelter and Shaq to step up and be leaders on offense this year. They need to provide that senior leadership that every team needs by performance and not on social media.
exactly what I was thinking--it starts with new ctr and QB-add in lots of young OLs and there is a recipe for STRUGGLE-CITY even vs a not overwhelming def, hmmmm

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With Days and Perkins out, they had trouble blocking with the ABs. Bostic and Zenon just don't have the blocking power. I wonder how Andrews did.

With Smelter and Aurty out, they might have had issues blocking there as well.

The biggest issue is the OL. I think/wonder if CPJ will overload on the OL in recruiting and sacrifice elsewhere. They also need better pass blocking techniques.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On the positive side, would Butker's kick have been good from 60 yards?

That kid is probably going to win us some games and play in the NFL for many years. No pressure really, he knows what to do and will only get better.

But I hope we don't need him a lot. Go for it on fourth and <=3. And go for 2 most times after the TD.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I think some people read way too much into these scrimmage reports. It's early April, not September. If the offense was looking good, fans would be worrying about the defense. I'm pretty sure no team's offense has ever set the world on fire during spring ball.

If we are still hearing the same reports come late August, then you should worry.