Screen passes - Why can't GT throw them?

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
That across the field "trick play" pass yesterday to Graham showed TQM's lack of arm strength. If that had been a division 1 passing QB, it would have been "snap" and there, but it was slow arriving. Watch the video - it seems like an eternity.
We’ve had many QBs besides Marshall.

We’ve never had significantly more passing.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
We’ve had many QBs besides Marshall.

We’ve never had significantly more passing.

Depends what you mean by "significantly more." The last two seasons have been the lowest average pass attempts and passing yards per game in CPJ's tenure. In most seasons, we average 20% - 50% more passing attempts per game and often around 50% - 60% more passing yards per game than we have the last two years. I might consider that significantly more, but given we don't pass a ton, some might not.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I know for guys who play video games, this isn't important, but both Justin and TaQuon are short. We have run screen plays, but they've often failed because of a lack of throwing lane with a collapsing pocket. The same goes for all of our short passing routes.

Now, because I know that some are tempted to jump in and make another dig at coach, we need to remember that we signed taller QB's in Christian Campbell, Jaylend Ratcliffe, and Lucas Johnson, not to mention Matthew Jordan.

TaQuon has a serviceable arm. His pass to Camp on Saturday actually arrived with the pace most college passes are thrown. He had several decent passes like that a few games ago. Still, we seem to have had the catch-22 of his vision being best for long throws downfield, but his arm not being able to get the ball out that far with the necessary pace. He also doesn't have the quick-release that we got used to from Justin.

Fwiw, everybody knows that I'm a big fan and supporter of CPJ, but I do wonder if we might need a shotgun package for situations like Saturday. When our OL is struggling in pass-blocking, regaining the extra beats we lose dropping back might allow us to hit some quick slant routes to A-Backs or bubble-screens to WRs.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

We can throw a screen, we just might not have a WR that can make the first man miss right now.

We have also at times thrown BB screens. One play we could probably run would be an AB tunnel screen when they do the run n shoot motion as opposed to the standard motion behind the bback.