Scouting Tulane

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Instantly thought this when CPJ was talking about no one on the staff having experience facing the option.
Not only that, but their returning defenders don't have 'team experience' vs the option, especially our option, like say VT's or Clemson's or even Wofford's D.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We beat Wofford by almost 20 points, and outgained them by almost 200 yards. The game was never in question. I'm sorry for your football PTSD if you ever truly felt otherwise, but one fluke play does not a close game make.

Get your liquor drinks ready, in 4 days we roll.
You and I were apparently watching different games. As a matter of fact, you were apparently watching a different game from Coach Johnson as well. Because he stated that the reason we couldn't play our backup offensive linemen was because we never got to what he considered a comfortable lead until late in the game.
“We had planned to try to roll some guys on offense,” Johnson said. “You couldn’t get it done. You had to try to score every possession. Couldn’t roll ’em out.”

We had to return a kickoff 40 yards and go kick a field goal to take the lead at half time. And IIRC, it was a 12 point game until less than 2 minutes to go in the game when we scored the TD to make it a 19 point lead.

To say that wasn't a close game is to play the part of the ostrich and stick your head in the sand. That game was much closer than anyone on our staff thought it was going to be.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was a close game. But a 2 score game in the 4th Q is not that close, but yet close when you are playing a FCS team. Is that confusing?

Paul also stated that it is hard to take the lead with so few possessions.

I expect GSU to cause us to punt 2 times and to go for field goals 2 times. I think people knew GSU will be a game and not an easy walk over like Elon. A lot of people expected Wofford to be a walk over and we got a game (me included).

I am hopping Wofford is playing good in 2014 and played above their average last Saturday as well.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
To make it clear, I'm not insinuating anything about our season based on one game. I'm just pointing out the faulty logic which reasons that because Tulane lost to Tulsa...and Tulsa was bad last year...then Tulane won't be good this year. Reading too much positive or negative into one game is unwise IMO.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@daBuzz I understood you... you cannot use last years record for one team one way and then reapply last years record for another team a different way.

Everyone else... You cannot say Wofford is a good team and Tulane is a bad team based on last years win loss record alone.

But,
Wofford has a history of being a good team. Tulane's recent history does not have the same history. And future performance is not guaranteed by past performance... but a longer history will help you understand a program.

Wofford had a down year last year. Tulane had an up year last year. Wofford is known for winning. Tulane is not. Keep in mind they are playing at different levels and any team can make a major jump in a year.

I for one am glad that GT does not have to perform the same as we did last year...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Due to the limited possessions, Wofford's long, time consuming drives combined with our quick scores in the second half, it wasn't necessary to sub the OL because they never got tired, even in the scorching heat. Now the D was a completely different story and we subbed liberally.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
You and I were apparently watching different games. As a matter of fact, you were apparently watching a different game from Coach Johnson as well. Because he stated that the reason we couldn't play our backup offensive linemen was because we never got to what he considered a comfortable lead until late in the game.

We had to return a kickoff 40 yards and go kick a field goal to take the lead at half time. And IIRC, it was a 12 point game until less than 2 minutes to go in the game when we scored the TD to make it a 19 point lead.

To say that wasn't a close game is to play the part of the ostrich and stick your head in the sand. That game was much closer than anyone on our staff thought it was going to be.

Agree. IMO the closeness of the game made coach conservative in his play calling (limited reads and deeper passes for no pic 6) and substitution and he did not want to do anything to jeopardise the win. I fully expected to see Kallon on D and the second string OL to play and thought he could have gotten them in safely after the 12 point lead, especially with the heat. Five of the freshmen got in the game (3 of them in the second half and 2 both halves) + 2 on STs and I thought that was a greater risk than playing Kallon and the other OL. I am sure coach had his reasons but it was a surprise considering the heat and need to build some depth.

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
We beat Wofford by almost 20 points, and outgained them by almost 200 yards. The game was never in question. I'm sorry for your football PTSD if you ever truly felt otherwise, but one fluke play does not a close game make.

Get your liquor drinks ready, in 4 days we roll.

When the score was 24 -19 in the fourth quarter we seemed one turnover away from the game being in question, especially the way our defense could not stop them......yes we won going away largely due to big plays on O. I just kept thinking of how the OL's of VT, Miami, Clemson and UGA are going to steamroll us....hope I'm wrong.....

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I do like the fact that all our young players and new starters get a chance at a true road game in a sold out stadium before going to play VT.

They can get the whole road and travel routine under their belts and even if this game should be winnable and it is not as big a stadium or crowd as at Lane then at least it should be an excited and loud crowd.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
If you like to put a lot of stock in size check out Tulane's starting OL
LT - 6'7, 307
LG - 6'5, 311
C - 6'5, 309
RG - 6'2, 312
RT - 6'8, 307
How did they look vs. Tulsa?

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
If you like to put a lot of stock in size check out Tulane's starting OL
LT - 6'7, 307
LG - 6'5, 311
C - 6'5, 309
RG - 6'2, 312
RT - 6'8, 307
How did they look vs. Tulsa?[/QUOTE
Yesterdays' Tulane Coach's pres conferenve for Georgia Tech Game.

sounds like the coach has a lot concerns about his offense and defense and does not seem very confident

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Offensive measuring stick, Tulas scored 38 points and had 592 total yards ... major concerns if we don't roll on offense !
I think Tulsa was picked either near or at the bottom of the AAC in the preseason. Just keeping things in perspective.