Scheme Changes for Syracuse ?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Since I have a coaching mindset I was contemplating what scheme change I would make for what I would need to do to stop the Syracuse run. I came up with a couple of options that were interesting but I am not sure actually what our DC came up with, but it was successful. Does anyone know exactly what scheme changes he used? We obviously saw 3 LBs at times, much improved LB play and DE play, good tackling, lots of gang tackling, and D players moving at much faster rates to get to the ball, especially on the peremeter. What were the coverage changes? Anyone have any x and o detail knowledge of what we did? Good job Coaches!

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
There were times I swear we were running a 4-4-3 since there was no threat of a deep ball. I heard linebacker names called on almost every tackle...and a different one each time.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the announcers said CBK moved guys around to different positions to get the best tacklers on the field. They mentioned 5 was playing corner.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m trying to recall, did Syracuse throw even one pass downfield!?
I recall they chunked one deep just one time...completed it (of course, they had the most accurate QB I have ever seen) for about 10 -12 yards.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I recall they chunked one deep just one time...completed it (of course, they had the most accurate QB I have ever seen) for about 10 -12 yards.
Yep. It was a completion just past the sticks for 12 yards. It was there longest completion per the stat sheet

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
We only had one true corner on the field the entire game. CPL slotted at one corner. Played a 4-3 with a safety always in the box. Cover 3 coverage.

Strategy was pretty sound. It was good game for our LB whom are bigger and struggle in space. They could just come downhill.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
we were runngina 4-3 with a rover SS in king most of the night. Alignment wise he often slotted in like a 4-4 lb.
Yep, 4-3 formation most of the night. That’s why the LBs made so many tackles. Moala, Efford, and Tatum were all on the field at the same time, and were later spelled by Oliver and White.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We only had one true corner on the field the entire game. CPL slotted at one corner. Played a 4-3 with a safety always in the box. Cover 3 coverage.

Strategy was pretty sound. It was good game for our LB whom are bigger and struggle in space. They could just come downhill.

Thanks. I saw pieces of that D alignment but you put the whole picture together for me. Good plan by the coaches. I did not see the freshman LT MacKenny or Sims at corner. Were they hurt? I was watching warmups when WR Lane seemed to pull a leg muscle and he could not continue warmups. Harvey played a lot in the second half and seemed to be full go. How about Scott who went out with a late ding? Somebody else was down and assisted to the tent but I could not get his number? Anybody else out this week or next?