Schematic Advantage, Ralph, Bill O'Brien, and for some reason Silicon Valley

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This has been repeated elsewhere, but the early signees benefit the recruiting staff (more time devoted to closing high value guys), make the class more attractive (adds committed guys that will sell as a group) and even if you disagree with the "objectivity" of the rankings, we have effectively gamed them early in the signing period and reaped some positive PR from it. It's a common startup strategy to focus on growth at the expense of revenue/LTV early not just to generate "hype" but to create network effects and use the existing base as a proof of value to higher value targets. CGC knows how this system works, and he is timing these silents in order to drive a "fake" metric that will keep us in the conversation. Also, if these guys do get bumps, then we will keep our trendline moving up and to the right, which matters if we are selling "momentum" from the "new world order." This is basic silicon valley marketing stuff, but it's being executed well so far.

Luckily for the Silicon valley startups, they don't generally have to worry about their own investors coming out and reminding everyone that "Hey it's early. Our performance really isn't that impressive at all". LOL

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Did other teams spend precious extra prep time for Clemson, Baylor, Duke, and Syracuse? Did any other team take a knife into a gun fight in Athens and come out a winner 3 times (in spite of extra prep)? Geesh!
Not sure what you’re point is. Why do I care how much practice time they spent on us, particularly if they beat us? You are also buying into the idea that the only way we could have moved forward after Chan was with Paul. What if we had hired Cutcliffe instead? I have nothing against Paul and appreciate what he was able to accomplish but DRad chose to go that route. It wasn’t the only way forward.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t get the part about no schematic advantage. Do you think every team in the NCAA runs the same stuff? Do you think Clemson’s offense looks the same as Syracuse or Baylor or Duke? What we ran before was different not necessarily better. It may, and I stress the may, have hampered us on defense which to me balanced out any possible benefit it had.

FWIW I watched the 2007 GT-ND game the other night. I had forgotten how good our talent was in those years. Even with Chan’s ridiculous offense we had a very good team and probably should have won at least 10 if we weren’t hampered by our coaching staff on offense. I’d love to see that level of talent again with a competent staff.

We sure didn't have any sort of schematic advantage vs about half of our schedule the past few years.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually Radakovich didn't choose that route which is one reason he's not here anymore, but I'll leave it at that.

Let's assume what you are saying is true and it wasn't DRad's choice, DRad staying for 5 years in a position as a puppet of someone else is not a great look. I'd expect a quality AD to bail immediately if they were forced to make decisions against their will.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Did other teams spend precious extra prep time for Clemson, Baylor, Duke, and Syracuse? Did any other team take a knife into a gun fight in Athens and come out a winner 3 times (in spite of extra prep)? Geesh!

If a team actually spent MORE time practicing against us, that's actually a disadvantage of the scheme.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We sure didn't have any sort of schematic advantage vs about half of our schedule the past few years.

This is where the pissin matches over trend of the program etc goes. Depends on how far back ya wanna go doesn’t it? We had a lot more inconsistency than I had expected. One or two disappointing seasons followed by darn good ones.

I see you are in favor of continuing the debate on the past. (y)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If a team actually spent MORE time practicing against us, that's actually a disadvantage of the scheme.

No it’s the mark of a good team you will face. Anyone that doesn’t spend extra time vs Clemson for example just doesn’t want to win. There is a point where it can become counter productive but that is true of most preparation.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Even with Chan’s ridiculous offense we had a very good team and probably should have won at least 10 if we weren’t hampered by our coaching staff on offense. I’d love to see that level of talent again with a competent staff.
You did. In 2009, 2014, and 2016. How quickly we forget!

And you are right about Chan and his eye for talent. Bobby Ross was better, but it's a photo finish.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I applaud yalls optimism. I do. The thought of Tech becoming a dominant regional power is a fun thought.

But why do y’all get so up in arms when someone else expresses a different expectation, one based on 10, 20, 30, 40 years of recent history?

The only real substantial change thus far is in the coaching staff. The only thing they’ve really shown thus far is an apparent aptitude to improve Tech recruiting. To what degree is still an unknown.

Funding for support staff seems marginally though not drastically improved.

There are reasons to think things could become much better overall. But it honestly appears there is more room to doubt a huge improvement than to believe it is likely to happen.

If the skeptics are right their hopes won’t be overly inflated leading to bigger disappointment. If the optimists are right they are about to enjoy a very fun ride. If you were truly optimistic the skepticism wouldn’t bother you imo because you would have faith in your beliefs and not be bothered by the skeptics.

The fact that expressed skepticism or “wait and see approaches” draws such criticism from several seems a display of a lack of faith in the optimists. Have faith my friends and stop trying to silence others who have legitimate reasons to feel differently.

I really don’t mind those who are skeptics and i respect their opinions, what i hate is reading the same arguments from the same people over and over in practically every thread, it’s getting very old

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t mind those who are skeptics and i respect their opinions, what i hate is reading the same arguments from the same people over and over in practically every thread, it’s getting very old
Yep, it's like, "I get it. You're reserving judgment." Why the need to wiz on my good vibe, though?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

How many of the posts you are tired of seeing are a reply / answer to another poster’s direct statement or question?

I get being tired of a debate. What I don’t get on board with is a tolerance for one side of a debate but not another.

There is a strong *be positive or stfu* vibe on this forum.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don’t get the part about no schematic advantage. Do you think every team in the NCAA runs the same stuff? Do you think Clemson’s offense looks the same as Syracuse or Baylor or Duke? What we ran before was different not necessarily better. It may, and I stress the may, have hampered us on defense which to me balanced out any possible benefit it had.

FWIW I watched the 2007 GT-ND game the other night. I had forgotten how good our talent was in those years. Even with Chan’s ridiculous offense we had a very good team and probably should have won at least 10 if we weren’t hampered by our coaching staff on offense. I’d love to see that level of talent again with a competent staff.

This was going to be next content piece.

All 11 personnel gun base teams are not the same. Same way all 34, 43, Nickel defenses are not the same. There are foundation concepts teams build off of. OSU uses inside zone with mesh concepts in passing game. Oklahoma uses air raid that stretches defense with the vertical passing game, Mark Richt uses power run outta multiple formations to outflank your defense peppered in with the screen game. So no, we do not run the standard NCAA offense

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This was going to be next content piece.

All 11 personnel gun base teams are not the same. Same way all 34, 43, Nickel defenses are not the same. There are foundation concepts teams build off of. OSU uses inside zone with mesh concepts in passing game. Oklahoma uses air raid that stretches defense with the vertical passing game, Mark Richt uses power run outta multiple formations to outflank your defense peppered in with the screen game. So no, we do not run the standard NCAA offense
No one is saying they’re exactly the same. But there are similarities that make it easier to prepare for than our old offense. If that’s not the case why did so many teams spend so much time in the off-season preparing for it? Notre Dame hired a special consultant just to prepare for it.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
You are confused cheese---ask Strom for clarity of thought! :>) ND, ugag, and Clemson were confused as well.