Say it loud...say it proud, Fred Taylor!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Marbury's cousin talked about it in a book about NYC basketball players.
Talked about what?

I’m not as naive as I might sound to some but I honestly have never heard any specifics about Tech that come close to the pay for play stories you hear about other schools. I guess I feel like our football team in particular would be a lot better if we were giving cars to students and such.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Talked about what?

I’m not as naive as I might sound to some but I honestly have never heard any specifics about Tech that come close to the pay for play stories you hear about other schools. I guess I feel like our football team in particular would be a lot better if we were giving cars to students and such.
He talked about GT offering him $$ to come to Atlanta and play. Nothing ever came of it. Don't know if it was true. His name was Sebastian Telfair. A journalist wrote a book about him and in it he claimed that a GT booster offered him $250k to go to GT. I think the book was "The Jump" or something like that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If I could give examples it would mean we got caught. Our basketball program 100% illegally recruited kids but so did everyone else so who cares.
Not exactly the case. We know of other programs that did stuff and weren’t caught or “officially” caught. But we know the examples. Just never heard of any at Tech except the Marburry story as reported second or third hand.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If I could give examples it would mean we got caught. Our basketball program 100% illegally recruited kids but so did everyone else so who cares.

If you search this board, you will find a couple of pretty prominent fonts all but admit that the vaunted 2007 football class had some "help" in getting them all together. There's been rumors for years that GT use to "play the game" in basketball and football, but it's something we apparently moved away from in past decade or so. I've written about this a couple of times before, when I was a student at GT during the late 90's early 2000's, I saw our PG at the light driving an S-class Mercedes as I was crossing Techwood to go up the Hill. Also, when I was a senior in HS, one of my football teammates (he was 2 years older than I was) signed with GT. That summer, during workouts, he came back to HS to work out in the weight room. He pulled up in a red convertible Mustang. He was from a single parent household that did not have that kind of money to buy him a convertible Mustang.

Personally, I don't give a d@mn whether or not GT did play the game. At the end of the day, NCAA and collegiate amateurism is all a big scam anyhow. If SAs and their families can extract thousands of dollars from rabid boosters or colleges, good for them.